FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Whanga Rei Bar & Grill, Turlock, CA (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Whanga Rei Bar & Grill, Turlock, CA (restaurant)
kiwilad

Posted: 2004-09-23 11:21 pm   Permalink

Update from the Northern Advocate - Local newspaper in Whangarei.
History
http://www.whangareinz.org.nz/living.htm

"Whangarei's translation from Maori is "cherished harbour". The sea provided sustenance for the Maori people of the area who were all well established when Captain Cook arrived in 1769. It wasn't until 1839 that William Carruth, the first settler to the district arrived. Over the next few years numbers built up to 50, however in 1845, warned of impending plunder by Hone Heke's warriors, the settlers evacuated the township and it was several years later before Whangarei was resettled. From then on development was steady with the sea being the only means of transport for many years. In 1934 the first all weather road was put through to Auckland."

[ This Message was edited by: kiwilad on 2004-09-23 23:22 ]

View Profile of kiwilad Send a personal message to kiwilad      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-09 5:20 pm   Permalink

Whanga Rei Bar and Grill reopens April 1. Rumors were being spread about that Whanga Rei lost there liquor license for selling to underagers. That is a complete lie, probably propagated by the competition. Too bad for them the hottest Bar in the Inland Bay area is about to get even hotter. sssssssssizzle baby. The owner wants me to carve as customers watch but it's actually kind of boring to watch, imo. Plus it's just a downright dirty gig anyway.

Oki NiKsoKoWa
(Hello all my relatives)
TikiJungle.com

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikicleen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-09 6:43 pm   Permalink

hmmm...i like that "carving as they come in" tactic! and it sure isnt boring if you are carving a large penis.

i'd watch. (what does that say about me?)

View Profile of tikicleen Send a personal message to tikicleen  Email tikicleen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-09 8:40 pm   Permalink

Tiki Envy!

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
retrogrrrlie

Posted: 2005-03-10 7:00 pm   Permalink

Mrs. Tikicleen~ You are definitely a master of innuendoes.

View Profile of retrogrrrlie Send a personal message to retrogrrrlie  Email retrogrrrlie     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2005-03-11 7:30 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-03-09 17:20, Jungle Trader wrote:

"Inland Bay area"?

Oh, come on.

1. yeah, right.

2. the first two words are an oxymoron!

Where's your Valley Pride?!

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-11 11:16 pm   Permalink

Yeah, Inland Bay. You heard it right. We're tired of being treated like a red-headed stepchild. So, we're getting an Extreme Makeover, aka The Swan. Now kiss the little frog........

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-30 08:44 am   Permalink

Whanga Rei has been sold and there's talk of it being converted to a sports bar. Goodbye Whanga Rei.
Don't worry, I'm trying to save the tikis.

Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-01 03:45 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-04-30 08:44, Jungle Trader wrote:
Whanga Rei has been sold and there's talk of it being converted to a sports bar. Goodbye Whanga Rei.

SHIT! Please keep us informed and if possible, a heads up of the closing date so that I may go pay WR it's respect, if it does come to this.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-01 09:06 am   Permalink

U.B., it has been sold to a new majority owner, meaning the previous owner Jeff, who owned over 50% of the company sold his shares to a new investor. The remaining shares belong to various other investors who all have a say in what happens next. It WILL be converted to a sport's bar. I'm not sure yet whether the tikis will stay or go. I have talked to the new majority owner, but only briefly. We'll see.

Oki NiKsoKoWa
(Hello all my relatives)
TikiJungle.com

surfgoof
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-05-02 4:26 pm   Permalink

dang, that place was sick

View Profile of surfgoof Send a personal message to surfgoof      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-14 08:24 am   Permalink

This just in and no kidding, the new owner, upon converting Whanga Rei to a Sport's Bar, wants me to carve a helmet and put it on top of a tiki. I would rather die.

purple jade
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-14 08:42 am   Permalink

That carving you brought to the Crawl already has a "helmet"...and it sounds like it matches the new owner's personality.

View Profile of purple jade Send a personal message to purple jade  Email purple jade Goto the website of purple jade     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DawnTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-14 10:40 am   Permalink

A helmet?!? Mankind is doomed!

View Profile of DawnTiki Send a personal message to DawnTiki  Email DawnTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cheekytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-15 12:41 pm   Permalink

How is this placed pronounced by yhe local clientel, with a W or an F as I'm pretty sure it is in NZ?

www.cheekytiki.com
http://cheekytikiuk.blogspot.com/

"Don't drink water, fish f*~k in it" W.C. Feilds

View Profile of cheekytiki Send a personal message to cheekytiki  Email cheekytiki Goto the website of cheekytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation