FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Events » » California Events » » Tiki till Dawn at LACMA!!!!!
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Tiki till Dawn at LACMA!!!!!
spy-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-27 8:28 pm   Permalink

Just came across this on the SHAG site:

"Shag will be doing a booksigning at the LA County Museum of Art on June 17 at 9:30pm as
part of an all-night party called Tiki 'Til Dawn. The free event is to introduce the Museum to people who might not
otherwise visit it, and will include music, films and fashion shows. Admission is free. The booksigning will be held in the
museum's Central Court. Other authors and artists scheduled to sign include Sven Kirsten (Book of Tiki), Gary Baseman,
Robbie Conal and Graham Nash. This will be Shag's only booksigning in the LA area in 2004."

It's on a Thursday night when they usually have live music. Surely, someone has the inside scoop on this event? C'mon give!

View Profile of spy-tiki Send a personal message to spy-tiki  Email spy-tiki Goto the website of spy-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-28 6:45 pm   Permalink

I saw this posted on the net:

www.anon-32101368@craigslist.org

"The Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LACMA) will open to party-goers beginning at 7PM and continue all though the night until 7AM the following morning for its Tiki Till Dawn Party!.

In addition to FREE admission to the entire museum and the latest Beyond Geometry and Inventing Race exhibitions, Tiki Till Dawn offers live music from DJ Diabetic; a sneak preview of the new Sony Pictures Classics surf film Riding Giants; and appearances by L.A. authors including Gary Baseman signing Dumb Luck, Robbie Conal signing Art Burn, Sandow Birk signing Dante’s Inferno, and Shag signing Tiki Drinks, Shag’s Around the World in 80 Drinks, and Shag Party.

Insiders will also enjoy films, interactive graffiti murals, live improv, no-host barbecue and Tiki bar.

Plus, party-goers can enter a random drawing to win two free plane tickets to anywhere in the world that Air France flies!

LACMA is even giving away a custom-painted motor scooter created by artist Shepard Fairey as the featured prize in a summer-long silent auction (proceeds will benefit LACMA art education programs for at-risk youth).

So, make your plans for Tiki Till Dawn now -- especially after the raving success of LACMA’s first FREE "all-nighter" - Cabaret LACMA, which drew nearly 9,000 party insiders!!!"

I work across the street - maybe I should pull an all-nighter.

[ This Message was edited by: christiki295 on 2004-05-28 18:46 ]

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BettyBleu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-08 10:36 am   Permalink

For more information, you should check out LACMA's website www.lacma.org. Don't forget to RSVP (you can do it at the website) or you will have to suffer very, very long lines. The party goes all night - 7pm to 7 am. The word I heard was that over 9,000 people attended last year so it should be fun. The party is free. The BBQ costs.

View Profile of BettyBleu Send a personal message to BettyBleu  Email BettyBleu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-08 6:58 pm   Permalink

BettyBleu, thanks for the tip.

Come & say hello if you attend, I'll be the guy hanging out at the Tiki Bar all night.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Diablo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-08 10:38 pm   Permalink

I'll be there, and was trying to set up a live carving demo for this, but...

View Profile of Tiki Diablo Send a personal message to Tiki Diablo  Email Tiki Diablo Goto the website of Tiki Diablo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Futura Girl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-09 01:26 am   Permalink

ok - i don't get it???

here's the webpage:
http://www.lacma.org/summer04/tikisemi.htm

Shag is a tiki artist, I mean I am a fan of Baseman's work, but what do Gary Baseman, Sandow Birk, Robbie Conol and Babar the elephant have to do with tiki??? huh???

Where are our other major tiki players at this event? There are plenty of other gallery level tiki artists that should be represented: Just off the top of my head: Miles Thompson, Tim Biskup, Mark Ryden, The Pizz... LACMA is just another group that wants to jump on the tiki bandwagon with no true concept of tiki...

SOOOO... write to them and ask them (make that demand...) if the Smokin' Menehuenes or the Mai Kai Gents will playing? Ask them if Cherry Capri or King Kukuelele will be making an appearance? Ask them if there will be any live tiki carving demonstrations?

here's the email
publicinfo@lacma.org

[ This Message was edited by: Futura Girl on 2004-06-09 01:37 ]

View Profile of Futura Girl Send a personal message to Futura Girl  Goto the website of Futura Girl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Futura Girl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-09 01:32 am   Permalink

p.s.
i know the p.r. and most of the arrangements have already been set, but i'm still working on getting king and cherry and c.b. a gig and gonna put in a good word for chikitiki - so if anybody else has leads or insider trading info - lemme know.

View Profile of Futura Girl Send a personal message to Futura Girl  Goto the website of Futura Girl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sweetpea
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-09 4:34 pm   Permalink

okay, not that I can go or anything, but I just wanted to say that they sure aren't trying very hard to git folks to go.
their webpage for that is
LAME... SUper Lame, sucky, ya'd think, hmmmmmmmmmmm
ART museum, hmmmm, maybe they'd have
ARTY type of webpages.
hmmmm
LAME.
okay, sorry that's all,
and yes, I think the King and Cherry
should be there for SURE!

View Profile of sweetpea Send a personal message to sweetpea  Email sweetpea Goto the website of sweetpea     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-11 11:13 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-05-27 20:28, spy-tiki wrote:

"Shag will be doing a booksigning at the LA County Museum of Art on June 17 at 9:30pm as
part of an all-night party called Tiki 'Til Dawn. The free event is to introduce the Museum to people who might not
otherwise visit it, and will include music, films and fashion shows. Admission is free. The booksigning will be held in the
museum's Central Court. Other authors and artists scheduled to sign include Sven Kirsten (Book of Tiki), Gary Baseman,
Robbie Conal and Graham Nash. This will be Shag's only booksigning in the LA area in 2004."

'Tis true, I will be in town briefly, (could not stay away that long..) and gladly got roped in fort his, I am thrilled to be in an official academic environment.

As to the "Tiki-ness" of the event...I am more under the impression of it being "Exotica" in the broadest sense (Salsa music?, belly-dancing!?), so if Tiki-political incorrectness is upsetting to you, don't go, if you believe Tiki is the god of ALL artists, it sounds like a mighty party. But don't expect epicurean sensations at the "Tiki Bar".

I know I know, I am Mr."If it says Tiki on it, it should have Tiki in it", but I am in it, Josh is, and we ARE Tiki. I also got Andy Cruz on the bill, he will be signing
The Book", a beautiful tome celebrating 10 years of the House Industries' eyecandy work this type foundry is so famous for
www.houseindustries.com
Their Tiki fonts and dingbats furthered the Tiki revival even before the BoT.
So here's another PR text:

"LACMA's second all-night party will be held June 17/18 beginning at 7pm
on the 17th and ending at 7am on the 18th and will have a Tiki theme.
Plans for the event include live (salsa) music, films an improv troupe,
give aways, a silent auction for a Sheperd Fairey decorated Vespa and
tickets to anywhere in the world Air France flies. Book-signings with
Gary Baseman, Shag, Sandow Birk, Shag and Robbie Conal will be held
throughout the evening &Babar make a personal appearance from 9pm to
midnight. There will be belly dancers and acrobats on Wilshire Blvd. to
entertain people waiting in line beginning at 7pm and lasting until 2
am.

Last summer's all-night party drew more than 8,000 people and the
attendance projection for this year's is even higher. Media interest
has already started; print ads will be placed in the LA Weekly, college
newspapers and Los Angeles magazine and there are plans for PSA radio
announcements."

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifille
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-13 10:07 am   Permalink

I responded to the RSVP but I'm curious if the invite is an e-mail or a snail mail. If snail mail, I fear I've responded too late. Thanks for any help.

View Profile of tikifille Send a personal message to tikifille      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-13 12:18 pm   Permalink

it's email...I got mine shortly after inputting my information.

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kooche
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-14 1:18 pm   Permalink

that RSVP page is totally nonresponsive to my information....it just loads up the same F*CKING page over and over after i hit send....i may be too late to get a free pass i guess...bad enough i was totally overlooked as a tiki artist...all i can say is that when i get into that half ass tiki party i am going to have some oil sticks and some spray cans on me to shoot trough some frisket that i have pre-cut TAPA STYLE!!!...that interactive graffiti mural better WATCH out because i won't leave until it's filled in and the sun is UP!

much as i am a fan of baseman's work...he's got no place at a tiki party...NONE WHAT SO EVER!

Futura Girl...i love you!!!

[ This Message was edited by: kooche on 2004-06-14 17:39 ]

View Profile of kooche Send a personal message to kooche  Goto the website of kooche     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kooche
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-14 5:47 pm   Permalink

i am SO ireful,choleric, and just plain peeved!!!

now i have exactly 14 emailed passes for the LACMA evening event...i guess the form works after all only it doesn't let you KNOW that it has your info...anyone want to join me at the tiki ti thursday at 6 for a chichi before we hit a fake tiki party at a real art museum?

see you there!

View Profile of kooche Send a personal message to kooche  Goto the website of kooche     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-14 6:34 pm   Permalink

Kooche, do we need passes to get in if so how do I get it? Also where are you having chichis?

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Futura Girl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-15 02:09 am   Permalink

oh yeh - definitely we'll need some REAL tiki ti b4 we go to the FAKESTERS gathering!!! (shag and big bro not included in that comment of course)

i'm down - and i'll even do a body block - so they won't see the spray paint misting away...

i think cherry and king - should just show up and start singing the tiki room at the tops of their lungs in spite of it all.

let's start some tiki mayhem!

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation