FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki tiki faces in weird and strange places
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 Next Page )
tiki faces in weird and strange places
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-26 6:30 pm   Permalink

Just tell us you didn't do that with chisels!!

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Moki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-26 6:35 pm   Permalink

Okay... that one made me laugh out loud!!! Tiki Spud!!!!

View Profile of Moki Send a personal message to Moki  Email Moki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
makutiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-12-30 11:45 am   Permalink

This one (and his friends) were hiding on my sisters X-mas table-cloth....

View Profile of makutiki Send a personal message to makutiki  Goto the website of makutiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
badmojo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-29 06:25 am   Permalink

Every time I watch Good Eats I think this mushroom in the title sequence looks like the top of a Moai.

View Profile of badmojo Send a personal message to badmojo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-29 06:30 am   Permalink

haaha, excellent screen capture, mojo!

wouldn't put it past ol' alton to put some subliminal tiki in there.

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-29 08:23 am   Permalink

Some of these are pretty funny. I think someone should carve a version of the one Makutiki submitted.

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-29 09:23 am   Permalink

Spud Tiki! That's hilarious! I bust out laughin' at that one too.

Here's one in space:

more info here:
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap060314.html

[ This Message was edited by: tikigap 2006-03-29 12:28 ]

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-03 5:25 pm   Permalink

Found this thrifting the other day....

Can't decide if it is Moai or Robot. So I will say Robotic Moai....

And, it works both ways up.....

[ This Message was edited by: Chip and Andy 2006-05-03 17:26 ]

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-03 6:16 pm   Permalink

Whoa! That's Mom's Electrolux. I remember a traveling salesman sold it to us circa 1971!

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
crazy al
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-11 10:25 am   Permalink

has this been posted.... just found this guy at one of the most visited place on earth, one of the most visited spots at the Grand Canyon!!
South Rim... Visitor Center View point

View Profile of crazy al Send a personal message to crazy al  Email crazy al Goto the website of crazy al     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-20 09:50 am   Permalink

This one was a little more 'vivid" after a few cocktails......

Josh playing his upright at the Jetsetter. Looked over and there it was, a Moai just jamming out with the band.....

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-01 11:13 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-12-30 06:12, bigbrotiki wrote:
While this is not fully Tiki, but more "outsider art" or "roadside art", often these kind of environments have Tiki-like elements. There could also be a thread on "Tikis in strange places"

OK, here goes
My brother Michael Mc Millen has an interest in tiki that our mother was involved in designing.
From Dec 25 to Jan 13 this installation on the corner of Santa Monica blvd and Yale runs from 6pm to midnight every night in Santa Monica, California.
The film Cyclops shown contains at least one shot of the Trade Winds exterior. There is another picture showing the two Witco tikis used by Ione atat the Royal Hawaiian clubhouse.
The film is shown continously until January 13, 2007 from 6pm to midnight each night.

Trade Winds entrance with the tiki to the lower right

[ This Message was edited by: Ojaitimo 2007-01-10 14:11 ]

View Profile of Ojaitimo Send a personal message to Ojaitimo  Email Ojaitimo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-03 1:13 pm   Permalink

Here is a video on You Tube from Red Trailer Motel I just uploaded today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHUZnwYWmnM

View Profile of Ojaitimo Send a personal message to Ojaitimo  Email Ojaitimo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-03 3:04 pm   Permalink

Thank you for opening this thread, Tim. Yet with "Tiki in strange places" I was more thinking along the lines of urban archeology, of finding old Tikis out of their element, in not obvious, non-Polynesian themed places, much like your post on that desert body shop/junk yard that lead to this one.

Here are some examples:
The "Tune up Tiki" at Bob Willemsen's Instatune on Lincoln Blvd in Santa Monica:

Their office waiting room was filled to the hilt with New Guinea masks, the owner had travelled there. When I went back to photograph that, the place had changed hands, and was barren of Tiki.

or these doorhandles on a place in Korea town, on Vermont and Beverly (I believe). It must have been Chinese/Polynesian once, but was a Korean Disco now. I liked the juxtaposition of the name and the urban blight look. (The new name is not bad either, it's now called "Bobby London".)

And here, some lost looking Tikis on the interior miniature golf course at the Family Fun Center in Ontario, CA:

Back to the desert: Here is a forgotten beauty behind an old prospector's adobe abode, across from the Miracle Manor Motel in Desert Hot Springs, (near Palm Springs)

It stood amidst some sort of desert garden, I was told that UFO enthusiasts used to gather there...

PS: Most of these are gone now

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-03 3:46 pm   Permalink

I drive by Bobby London's all the time. I always thought the rock facade out front was cool but had never noticed the door handles. I'm gonna have to go inside at some point and I'm sure when I do the music will stop and all eyes will be on me until I leave but I'm going in!

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation