FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki tiki faces in weird and strange places
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 Next Page )
tiki faces in weird and strange places
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-03 7:12 pm   Permalink

My mistake, here are some tiki from the Hole in the Wall welding yard in Palm Springs.

Notice the metal spike in the eye

Fort Tiki

[ This Message was edited by: Ojaitimo 2007-01-03 19:15 ]

View Profile of Ojaitimo Send a personal message to Ojaitimo  Email Ojaitimo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2007-01-03 10:53 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-01-03 15:04, bigbrotiki wrote:
these doorhandles on a place in Korea town, on Vermont and Beverly (I believe). It must have been Chinese/Polynesian once, but was a Korean Disco now. I liked the juxtaposition of the name and the urban blight look. (The new name is not bad either, it's now called "Bobby London".)

PS: Most of these are gone now

I drove by Bobby London tonight and the door handles are gone. Even though you said most of those things were gone I was hoping the handles would still be there. Bah!

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-03 11:13 pm   Permalink

Ok, very good! But what is the strangest place of them all in that desert, everyone? That's right, the SALTON SEA! Once touted as the next Palm Springs, this giant inland lake was the site of numerous developments that all went under when the water turned brackish and briny and dead fish began to line its shores. It is my favorite boulevard of broken dreams, and where ever there is a paradise lost, Tiki is not far. Follow the trail of the sub-suburban archeologist, smell the briny water, feel the relentless sun:

Once there was to be a new Riviera:

All the signs pointed in the right direction:

But even though the water was big...:

..the water turned bad...:

..and the palm trees died..:

...and the people left:

But some stayed, among them, this guy:

It's a long road to Honolulu:

But once upon a time, there even was the:

Boy oh boy, I am having entirely too much fun with my new scanner!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mzoltarp
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-04 08:56 am   Permalink

Loved all of the pictures especially the Salton Sea stuff. The whole idea of a "ghost" of the past in the present has always been intriguing to me.

View Profile of mzoltarp Send a personal message to mzoltarp  Goto the website of mzoltarp     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-04 10:44 am   Permalink

This place is on La Brea blvd in LA.

No tiki bar though, just the sign

[ This Message was edited by: Ojaitimo 2007-01-04 10:47 ]

View Profile of Ojaitimo Send a personal message to Ojaitimo  Email Ojaitimo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-06 9:43 pm   Permalink

What does the Tiki Lounge in Ventura, California have in common with most of the tiki bars in Florida? With the exceptions of the obvious Florida tiki palaces?

How about no tiki!

These were the closest things in the whole store. Lack of tiki in strange places?

[ This Message was edited by: Ojaitimo 2007-01-06 21:45 ]

stuff-o-rama
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-07 9:56 pm   Permalink

My friend's daughter wanted to have her birthday party at the Putting Edge at the Howard Hughes Center. It is a pitch black, black light indoor miniature golf course. It's amazing how fast you can lose a bunch of sugar induced hyped up kids in the dark, even in a small room.

after the sea/whale/shark hole

is an Aztec type Tiki

the camera couldn't focus in the dark, which is why it's so blurry... but it's honestly how I felt after being in there for three hours, like the cheapest high I've ever had without first ingesting tequila.

View Profile of stuff-o-rama Send a personal message to stuff-o-rama  Goto the website of stuff-o-rama     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-08 01:57 am   Permalink

That's an approximation of an Olmec giant stone head in the black lite room, nice pic.

View Profile of Sneakytiki Send a personal message to Sneakytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hanford_lemoore
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-08 2:55 pm   Permalink

topics merged.

View Profile of hanford_lemoore Send a personal message to hanford_lemoore  Email hanford_lemoore Goto the website of hanford_lemoore     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-08 5:42 pm   Permalink

Hanford, these were actually two different topics:

Tiki faces in weird places:

- was meant to be a platform for Tiki sightings where there are none, when the Tiki-addicted mind plays tricks on you and makes you conjure up Tikis in upside down trash cans and such, really a fun concept!

Tiki in strange places:

-was supposed to be about what I mentioned earlier:

"...with "Tiki in strange places" I was more thinking along the lines of urban archeology, of finding old Tikis out of their element, in not obvious, non-Polynesian themed places..."
Meaning actual TIKIS found in unexpected surroundings, or simply strange environs.

It does seem that some people have a hard time understanding the difference between these concepts.

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2007-01-08 17:51 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hanford_lemoore
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-08 5:48 pm   Permalink

Sorry, this is why I don't like to merge topics too often -- it's undoable. I have changed the name of the topic to reflect both threads now!

Sorry!

Quote:

On 2007-01-08 17:42, bigbrotiki wrote:
Hanford, these were actually two different topics:

Tiki faces in weird places
- was meant to be a platform for Tiki sightings where there are none, when the Tiki-addicted mind plays tricks on you and makes you conjure up Tikis in upside down trash cans and such, really a fun concept!

Tiki in strange places

-was supposed to be about what I mentioned earlier:

View Profile of hanford_lemoore Send a personal message to hanford_lemoore  Email hanford_lemoore Goto the website of hanford_lemoore     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-09 11:25 am   Permalink

Mandalay Bay, Oxnard California

Life is a state of mind

teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-09 11:44 am   Permalink

Really, these were two different threads. One showing different objects that resemble tiki and tiki faces and the more recent one of actual tikis showing up in nontraditional settings.

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-10 7:58 pm   Permalink

Well, I made the initial post in error in tiki in strange places so it is because of that that these were combined. Sorry Hanford, my fault. Then again, it brought back a cool post of images for all of us to enjoy.

remnants of fence at the old Trade Winds site

If anyone would like to go to the reception this Sat, here is the info. I'll see you there. There are several shots of tiki in the film.

[ This Message was edited by: Ojaitimo 2007-01-10 20:04 ]

Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-11 08:28 am   Permalink

Tiki in tool rental yard, Oxnard California

Life is a state of mind

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation