FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Events » » Other Events » » Tabu Tiki Night: CHICAGO
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Tabu Tiki Night: CHICAGO
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-27 6:58 pm   Permalink

Aloha everone!

Trader Vic's in Chicago has asked me to organize a sanctioned midwestern counterpart to the very successful Tiki Torch Nights that Kiliki has been doing in Atlanta.

The event will be held the third Wednesday of every month, beginning July 21 frm 7 to 11 PM (I lobbied HARD for a weekend, but they were adamant about wanting to do Wednesdays).

I'll be DJ-ing Exotica, Hawaiian, hapa haole, and a little bit of surf and lounge, and am currently looking for live acts to perform.

An official announcement, schedule, and details on the performances, drink specials, etc. will be posted here in a week or so.

In the mean time, anyone interested in performing is invited to email me at

jt@tydirium.net

Trader Vic's in Chicago has a new General Manager who is enthusiastic about changing their formerly somewhat aloof policy towards the Tiki crowd. He's a nice guy, and is looking forward to providing midwestern Tikiphiles with a warmer welcome at Trader Vic's than we have been used to in recent years.

See you there!

http://www.tydirium.net
Big Stone Head / Tiki Road Trip / Left Orbit Temple

[ This Message was edited by: tikibars 2006-10-27 15:27 ]

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Toa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-27 7:21 pm   Permalink

Gotta say SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET! But I do agree that those of us out of the Chi-Town area would probably be frequent visitors of this if it was a Friday or Sat. thing. I hope it goes over big though JT.

Toa

View Profile of Tiki-Toa Send a personal message to Tiki-Toa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
wikiwiki

Posted: 2004-06-29 7:55 pm   Permalink

Does Kiliki have anything to do with this? Can you use that name without her permission?

View Profile of wikiwiki Send a personal message to wikiwiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-29 8:03 pm   Permalink

That's a bummer they won't do a weekend. I understand, though, the need to bring in midweek traffic. I want them to accomodate my weekend traveller lifestyle, dammit!

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-30 10:38 am   Permalink

Post the gig in the Reader & IE. If you can pay the band something (even gas money or drinks) you might look into assembling a "House band" from individual parts: collecting relvant percussionists, keyboardists, lap steel players, etc. from the back pages of the IE.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
suicide_sam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-30 12:16 pm   Permalink

Damn I'm actually going to be in Chicago that Friday on tour with Devil Doll, I'll miss it by two days.

View Profile of suicide_sam Send a personal message to suicide_sam  Email suicide_sam Goto the website of suicide_sam ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-10 10:58 am   Permalink

Here is some more information on the event:

It is to be held:

July 21
August 18
September 15
October 20
November 17

...dates subject to change (if I can convince them to go with a weekend), except for July, which is a done deal.

Trader Vic's management originally wanted to call the event "Tiki Torch Nights: Chicago" to tie in with the event in Atlanta that Tikikiliki has been so successfully running for the past four months. But now, a decision has been made to give the event it's own identity, so it is hereby dubbed: "Tabu Tiki Nights".

For July we'll have complimentary pupus, a $4 Zombie (all night, not just Happy Hour), and AJ, the new manager is working on a new drink to be served in a pineapple shell, and which will only be available at the monthly event.

Entertainment will be JT's Kon-Tiki Sound System (that's me spinning Exotica and Hawaiian), and hula dancers from Barefoot Hawaiians.

Starting in August, we'll be adding further live entertainment.

The event will start as Happy Hour ends - about 7:00 and last until 11:00.

Come early!

Stay late!

So what if it's a school night!

See you there -

See www.tydirium.net for Tiki Road Trip, global travelogues, and more!

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Toa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-10 11:05 am   Permalink

JT!
Killer man, just plain killer, think I will have to find a way to be there one way or another. Love the name change.
And the check is in the mail today.

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki-Toa on 2004-07-10 11:06 ]

View Profile of Tiki-Toa Send a personal message to Tiki-Toa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-10 11:06 am   Permalink

Oh, one other thing - artists and carvers are invited to bring their stuff down for display.

If you want to show off what you've been working on, drop me an Email and we'll set it up and get your name into the promotion machine.

Keep in mind that this is NOT a vendor's area-type of thing. It is more of just a way to expose what you're working on to a crowd who will appriciate it. But then again if someone wants to buy something from you, I am sure not going to stop you...

See www.tydirium.net for Tiki Road Trip, global travelogues, and more!

Tikimonger

Posted: 2004-07-13 06:06 am   Permalink

Hey JT,

I thought you wanted to be more Original for once.

“Trader Vic's management originally wanted to call the event "Tiki Torch Nights: Chicago" to tie in with the event in Atlanta that Tikikiliki has been so successfully running for the past four months. But now, a decision has been made to give the event it's own identity, so it is hereby dubbed: "Tabu Tiki Nights".”

The new name you have chosen, is the name of someone home bar "Tabu Tiki Lounge". They even had mugs made, of which you carried off about half dz. from their Wedding in 2000.

Same set-up as Ebay and it's all for Uncool Sam. You have atomictiki insted of what it really is. I'll compare the feedback of three users to your one any day. Two buying and one selling. Not so much selling now, sence I'am back to working after about two years of being off. Besides, I would never support any boycotting Trader Vic's or any other place!! I want them all to stay in Business!! I can crawl home from the Chif if needed. I can't park my big truck at the Palmer House and drink too. Too Much $$$. Big collecting habit you know. We are always trolling for tiki and trying to find Un-Cartered territory is hard enough!!!
[ This Message was edited by: tikimonger on 2004-09-05 06:25 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Tikimonger on 2004-09-05 06:53 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Tikimonger on 2004-09-05 06:55 ]

[ This Message was edited by: tikimonger on 2004-09-05 12:44 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Tikimonger on 2004-09-05 12:51 ]

View Profile of Tikimonger Send a personal message to Tikimonger  Email Tikimonger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Toa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-13 07:44 am   Permalink

Wow tikimonger, one post in 14.5 months, you sure know how to pick your spots to make yourself known.

Toa

boutiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-13 07:58 am   Permalink

Yeah JT, that name is a little familiar. I mean, even the spelling.

[ This Message was edited by: boutiki on 2004-07-13 08:29 ]

View Profile of boutiki Send a personal message to boutiki  Goto the website of boutiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BambooLodge
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-13 08:32 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-07-13 07:44, Tiki-Toa wrote:
Wow tikimonger, one post in 14.5 months, you sure know how to pick your spots to make yourself known.

Not everyone can boast of 350+ postings in less than 2 months... now that's impressive!

Hey JT,
Why not make the name Aku Tiki Nights (after your own bar) and maybe save face with some of the Locals here!!!

View Profile of BambooLodge Send a personal message to BambooLodge      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Toa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-13 08:59 am   Permalink

[quote]
On 2004-07-13 08:32, BambooLodge wrote:
Quote:

Not everyone can boast of 350+ postings in less than 2 months... now that's impressive!

Well I am a 34 year old full time Criminal Justice college student and full-time father who is off for the summer, LOTS of time on my hands. I love tiki, and hey I like to be involved so sue me.
And hey when I commented on how cool of a name it was I was TOTALLY unaware that it was the name of someone's personal bar, and I will leave it at that.

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki-Toa on 2004-07-13 09:02 ]

SeekingTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-07-13 10:03 am   Permalink

Tiki-Toa is on track for setting the worlds record for most consecutive posts. He'll be nearing 1000 by next month. I am just kidding with you TT but come on now you're taking all the bandwidth!

View Profile of SeekingTiki Send a personal message to SeekingTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation