FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Cruzan Rum - How's it Rate?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Cruzan Rum - How's it Rate?
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2004-06-28 09:20 am   Permalink

I bought a bottle of light and black strap Cruzan rum at Trader Joes this weekend. What's the scoop on Cruzan?

The dark was real molasses tasting (I do like molasses, but usually on grits with a fried egg on top, bacon, sausage, some buttermilk biscuits, burp!).

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-28 11:14 am   Permalink

I just bought a bottle of coconut Cruzan. It's ok. I like it tons better that Malibu though!

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-28 5:08 pm   Permalink

I love that Black Strap Cruzan. Tastes good for sipping on the rocks.

I made up a variation of a Mai Tai recipe using Black Strap and it turned out to be, dare I say, quite good!

Take a big rocks glass and fill with shaved ice. One of those Don Ho glasses works well.

Rabid Mongoose:

2oz Bacardi white rum
2oz Cruzan Black Strap
1.5oz Sweet and Sour
.75oz TV Orgeat Syrup
.5oz fresh squeezed Key Lime juice

Combine the shaved ice and booze in a handheld shaker and shake well. Pour back into the rocks glass.

I tried it with regular limes but it just didn't have the pizzang that the Key Lime juice gave it. Damn tasty and very potent. My new favorite drink. Try it! Gotta use key limes though, even if they're from Mexico.

[ This Message was edited by: Kono on 2004-07-04 21:57 ]

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-29 05:17 am   Permalink

Here's what Beachbum Berry says:

"VIRGIN ISLANDS RUMS are similar to their Puerto Rican counterparts but mellower and generally more palatable (whenever he can, the Beachbum likes to substitute Virgin Islands rum in recipes that call for Puerto Rican). Cruzan markets a smooth white and a solid gold, as well as a lovely - and affordable - "single-barrel" sipping rum."

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
chase_317
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-07-16 12:52 pm   Permalink

Cruzan is my personal cheap-rum favorite!

Here's a cheap-ass, somewhat tiki drink I like to binge on.

1/2 glass cruzan rum of your choice
1/4 glass dole orange/strawberry/bannana juice
1/4 glass dole orange/pineaplle juice

voila, drunkedness awaits!

[ This Message was edited by: chase_317 on 2004-07-16 12:53 ]

View Profile of chase_317 Send a personal message to chase_317      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Shipwreckjoey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-17 12:38 am   Permalink

Two thumbs up on that Cruzan black strap rum and three cheers for Trader Joe's for their everchanging and always challenging selection of affordable booze for the home bar afficianado on a budget.

View Profile of Shipwreckjoey Send a personal message to Shipwreckjoey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2004-07-23 10:07 am   Permalink

Cruzan single barrel is an excellent sipping rum.

And black strap is a big improvement on Myers's when the heavy stuff is called for.

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kick_the_reverb
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-27 3:59 pm   Permalink

I was working on creating a new drink that would be done with Don the Beachcomber style ingredients (I call it "The Combover"), and I tried using the Cruzan Black Strap as one of the ingredients, but the taste was too overwhelming (the caramely flavor stood out too much), so consider that if you're mixing the Black Strap with stuff that might get "buried in the mix".

Ran

View Profile of kick_the_reverb Send a personal message to kick_the_reverb  Email kick_the_reverb Goto the website of kick_the_reverb     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-27 4:04 pm   Permalink

I got to try the Black Strap at TikiMaxton's during the Portland Crawl, and it was yummy. Like kick_the_reverb says, though, it's a strong flavor, extremely molasses-y. A great sipping rum, and an interesting option for more simple drinks, like a cuba libre.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-27 10:24 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-06-28 17:08, Kono wrote:
Take a big rocks glass and fill with shaved ice. One of those Don Ho glasses works well.

Rabid Mongoose:

2oz Bacardi white rum
2oz Cruzan Black Strap
1.5oz Sweet and Sour
.75oz TV Orgeat Syrup
.5oz fresh squeezed Key Lime juice

Combine the shaved ice and booze in a handheld shaker and shake well. Pour back into the rocks glass.

I tried it with regular limes but it just didn't have the pizzang that the Key Lime juice gave it. Damn tasty and very potent. My new favorite drink. Try it! Gotta use key limes though, even if they're from Mexico.

Somebody PLEEEAAASSSEEE give this a try dammit. I need some feedback! The only difficult (maybe) ingredient is the fresh key lime juice, but I suppose you could sub bottled key lime juice if you had to. The key lime juice offsets the strong molasses flavor of the Black Strap nicely. I've started kicking the key lime juice up from .5oz to .75oz for a little more zip und zang. Keep it at .5oz for more of that molasses flavor.

It's a strong drink that goes down pretty smooth IMO. Even let me know if you don't like it as it is better to be hated than ignored.

I'm drinking a Rabid Mongoose right now (3rd one yow!) and it's tickling my palate, short circuiting my cerebral cortex and gut punching my liver in a workmanlike fashion as I type.

I fear the morning. Fortunately, I don't work tomorrow.

Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-27 10:50 pm   Permalink

An excuse to by Black Strap *and* key limes? Sold. I'll have to give it a whirl.

In case I can't track down fresh key limes, have you tried making it with bottled key lime juice? I've found the bottled lime & lemon juices to be stronger than their fresh counterparts, I want to get the balance right. Maybe the bottled key lime juice isn't as concentrated.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-28 10:52 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-07-27 22:50, Humuhumu wrote:
An excuse to by Black Strap *and* key limes? Sold. I'll have to give it a whirl.

In case I can't track down fresh key limes, have you tried making it with bottled key lime juice? I've found the bottled lime & lemon juices to be stronger than their fresh counterparts, I want to get the balance right. Maybe the bottled key lime juice isn't as concentrated.

I haven't tried it with the bottled juice but I'll pick some up next time I swing by Publix. I actually haven't seen any real key limes in a while and I'm almost out, so the bottled juice may be the only way. The key lime juice that I saw didn't look like a concentrate, it looked just like juice in a clear bottle complete with pulp.

Thanks for trying it Humuhumu. Just don't drink four of them! Errggg, my head's a little tender.

Polynesiac
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-07-28 7:24 pm   Permalink

love the cruzan rum, even all the different flavors.

favorite has to be the single barrel...bottles of that don't last long in my liquor cabinet...

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrs. pineapple
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-11 3:33 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-07-28 10:52, Kono wrote:
Quote:

On 2004-07-27 22:50, Humuhumu wrote:

I haven't tried it with the bottled juice but I'll pick some up next time I swing by Publix. I actually haven't seen any real key limes in a while and I'm almost out, so the bottled juice may be the only way. The key lime juice that I saw didn't look like a concentrate, it looked just like juice in a clear bottle complete with pulp.

Thanks for trying it Humuhumu. Just don't drink four of them! Errggg, my head's a little tender.

you can get key lime juice at William & Sonoma, I use it for PIE! It's kind of milky green though, and thick. They occasionally have key limes at trader joes, I love trader joes!

View Profile of mrs. pineapple Send a personal message to mrs. pineapple      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
new2tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-08-12 2:34 pm   Permalink

Kono:

Where do you get the TV Orgeat in Orlando? Or do you order it online?

Mahalo.

Scott

View Profile of new2tiki Send a personal message to new2tiki  Email new2tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation