FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki Is it wrong to not want kids...?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Is it wrong to not want kids...?
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-15 11:27 am   Permalink

Crazy Cat Clips (Windows Media video)
http://www.joked.com/content/2003/Nov2003/22/joked-dot-com-funny-cats.wmv

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-15 11:28 am   Permalink

Love that pic Unga!
I use it as my photo on my MSN profile page.

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-15 11:39 am   Permalink

Yours are just too sweet Atomicchick!
After having 95lb Gyp, I could never imagine having such a small puppy like yours! She's just sooooo cute!

Elicia, your two are SO regal! They must keep you busy!

TikiToa, your cat looks like it's begging for a tummy rub!(Or is that what it wants you to think?)

Cyn your kitties are super adorable! I'm such a sucker for animals. I swear I'll have 10 cats when I'm an old bag.

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Satan's Sin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-15 11:58 am   Permalink

Unga --

"It's so sad when they grow up."

Fear not, Unga. Nature has implanted a chip into their sweet little brains that will make you start counting the days when they're out the door. It is called "puberty."

They are sweet now, but wait til they turn into teenagers. Not that teenagers are bad. It is just that they are hard wired to think of their parents as complete morons. And after a few years of them looking at you like you're a complete piece of dirt because you dare to suggest that they put their dirty plates in the dishwasher, you'll start thinking about how nice it'd be for your wife to turn back into your girlfriend and even have some god%&$ privacy.

Fear not, Unga. No one could have loved my sweet little children more than I and dreaded the day when they'd be gone. And now no one is happier to see them spreading their wings and seeing how much &*$%ing fun it is to buckle down to that first job ...

I love my kids. But I didn't marry them.

View Profile of Satan's Sin Send a personal message to Satan's Sin  Email Satan's Sin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Ragin' Rarotongan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-15 12:01 pm   Permalink

I just got married on Valentine's Day, earlier this year. I told my wife before we were married that I don't want any children, and she is fine with that. They are just to much responsibility, emotionally and financially.

View Profile of The Ragin' Rarotongan Send a personal message to The Ragin' Rarotongan  Email The Ragin' Rarotongan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
docwoods
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-15 12:47 pm   Permalink

First off,I think it's wild that so many TCers have cats-we have two and are long-term watching my sister's cat.Second,for those of you who don't have kids and don't want them,good for you! You're being honest.I've seen too many kids at work whose parents are doing a lousy job of raising them (HaHa,isn't it funny when little Jimmy spits in my face!!!)or treating kids like another nice possession to have.We have one daughter-she's terrific,but boy,do we know our limits!Pets are people,too!!!

View Profile of docwoods Send a personal message to docwoods  Email docwoods     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-15 12:49 pm   Permalink

I definitely think it's ok for people to not have children. In fact, there are some that, in my opinion, shouldn't reproduce. Anyhow, you can always enjoy them from afar. And pets make a fantastic substitute!
Enjoy your children, be they furry, furr-less, or inanimate(like many of my tiki mugs)
-TW

Kava King
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-15 12:50 pm   Permalink

I smell Darwin.

View Profile of Kava King Send a personal message to Kava King      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-15 1:04 pm   Permalink

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-15 2:57 pm   Permalink

Pets are not children nor are they substitute children. They are pets.

Both are obligations but can hardly be compared with one another. The day that you leave your small children at home for the weekend with bowl of food we can talk about the comparison of children vs pets. If I didn't have health insurance and my kids were sick, I could not just have them put to sleep.

I love them both.

There is nothing wrong with either choice.

I am a firm beleiver though that some of the most "potentially" talented/loving parents of my generation (25-40yrs old) are opting not to have kids at all.

This might be offensive to some folks but there are many theories about the dumbing down of our society because the more aware and educated an individual is, the less likely that they will have children.

Now back to pet central....

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-15 3:57 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-07-15 14:57, Monkeyman wrote:
Pets are not children nor are they substitute children. They are pets.

Both are obligations but can hardly be compared with one another. The day that you leave your small children at home for the weekend with bowl of food we can talk about the comparison of children vs pets. If I didn't have health insurance and my kids were sick, I could not just have them put to sleep.

Very true. But personally, I would never put any of my pets to sleep, no matter what the cost. $4,000 last year for Toffee, she had fatty liver syndrome and pancreatitis at the same time, we had to feed her through a tube in her neck with warmed up, blended up, strained cat food & meds every 4 hours for over a month. And she only had a 50% chance of survival. Gyp got into the garbage and $2,000 later the 6 little jam packets were removed. That was 1 month after Toffee's bill. But this is just me.

You really can't compare kids to pets, but some of us treat and love our pets as though they were our children. I'll get back to you after I have kids, when I actually kind of know what I'm talking about

This conversation quite fascinates me!

Great Minds Drink Alike

johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-15 5:32 pm   Permalink

I'd put my son up against any canine or feline in a beauty contest! The greatest thing to ever happen to me!

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sweetpea
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-15 5:43 pm   Permalink

I lost my Wolfgang kitty after 15 years, last ocotber. I do not like children. I know better to have any, they make too much noise, and too many messes. I prefered a quiet kitty that liked his tummy rubbed, his cat food bowl always full, his box cleaned.
I will never have children.
and I felt the way about my cat as most people do about their children, so I don't see much difference. Basically I lost a 15 year old I raised from birth...
Same thing to me.
And when within a week after losing him people were emailing me with kitties I should get, i felt the same as if I lost a child and people were telling me to just go get another... ugh.
At least I'm smart enough to know not to have kids...
(and for those-you dont' have to admit it... that don't much care for children, or for parents who are CLUELESS- not saying anyone here is!!!!! - i go to this site occasionally...)
http://www.fred.net/turtle/kids/kidrants.shtml

View Profile of sweetpea Send a personal message to sweetpea  Email sweetpea Goto the website of sweetpea     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Feelin' Zombified
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-15 6:16 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-07-15 14:57, Monkeyman wrote:
the more aware and educated an individual is, the less likely that they will have children.

I'd believe that. I used to work with a woman who was quite self-centered, petty, and without one clue. She bragged about her community college education as though she had a Phd., yet was rather dim. She couldn't wait to start a family with her husband who actually was a Dr.

Funny thing is, he wanted NO kids
She wanted 12 (!)

So they compromised at 6.

I wonder if they're still together

-Z

View Profile of Feelin' Zombified Send a personal message to Feelin' Zombified  Email Feelin' Zombified     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TNTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-15 7:12 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 15:00 ]

View Profile of TNTiki Send a personal message to TNTiki  Email TNTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation