FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki Is it wrong to not want kids...?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Is it wrong to not want kids...?
TNTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-15 7:26 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 15:01 ]

View Profile of TNTiki Send a personal message to TNTiki  Email TNTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2004-07-15 8:47 pm   Permalink

Animals are fine substitute, but do your pets every come up to you and say "daddy, I love you!".

(and I don't mean "Oh, then fluffy waved his paw and mommie and I KNOW, he said I LOVE YOU MOMMIE!")

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Toa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-15 8:54 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-07-15 17:32, johntiki wrote:
I'd put my son up against any canine or feline in a beauty contest! The greatest thing to ever happen to me!

John, good to see you starting that kid out right!!

Toa

View Profile of Tiki-Toa Send a personal message to Tiki-Toa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
suzywong
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-15 9:26 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-07-15 17:43, sweetpea wrote:
I lost my Wolfgang kitty after 15 years, last ocotber. I do not like children. I know better to have any, they make too much noise, and too many messes. I prefered a quiet kitty that liked his tummy rubbed, his cat food bowl always full, his box cleaned.
I will never have children.
and I felt the way about my cat as most people do about their children, so I don't see much difference. Basically I lost a 15 year old I raised from birth...
Same thing to me.
And when within a week after losing him people were emailing me with kitties I should get, i felt the same as if I lost a child and people were telling me to just go get another... ugh.
At least I'm smart enough to know not to have kids...
(and for those-you dont' have to admit it... that don't much care for children, or for parents who are CLUELESS- not saying anyone here is!!!!! - i go to this site occasionally...)
http://www.fred.net/turtle/kids/kidrants.shtml

You NEVER hear this from someone who has a child. (Comparing the loss of a pet to that of a child)

View Profile of suzywong Send a personal message to suzywong  Email suzywong     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bamboo Dude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-15 10:07 pm   Permalink

Nothin' wrong with not wanting children, but I'll take these three over my two dogs, turtle, bird and rabbit, any day!

[ This Message was edited by: Bamboo Dude on 2004-07-15 22:10 ]

View Profile of Bamboo Dude Send a personal message to Bamboo Dude      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
badmojo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-15 10:19 pm   Permalink

I have way too many toys and collectables, and I don't play well with others. Here's our Boys, Leroy(Cat), & Gavin(1/2 Pug, 1/2 Boston Terrier) relaxing in the Leloi Lounge.

View Profile of badmojo Send a personal message to badmojo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomicchick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-15 10:44 pm   Permalink

Oh man, too cute.

When I posted this topic, I didn't mean to piss anybody off. People seem to be getting defensive about what you "should" love more. Pets or kids? What if I was unable to have kids, does that change your view?

In my profession I work with kids, 25 at a time and they are all criminals. They have committed crimes from car jacking to attempted murder. Usually these kids are twacked out on drugs when they committ their crimes. Not saying that it justifys their behavior, but when they are sober, they seem to have some feels of remorse. My point being, that parents (from what I have experienced) for the most part are too afraid to punish their children and are more concerned with being their friend than their parent. Doing this gives the kids the upper edge and they do whatever the hell they please like drugs, join gangs, steal, etc. Kids need disipline yet they don't get it from their parents, so when the kid screws up, the parents ask themselves, "How did this happen"? They look to "fix" their kid by getting them therapy or putting them on psych meds when all the kid really needs is a parent. Kids may bitch about rules and structure, but deep down that is what they need and they want because in the end it means security.

I don't mean to come down on all parents, it is not only the parents fault, but when something goes wrong, they are not free of blame.

That being said, here is some food for thought. If you have to have a licence to drive, a licence to ride a bike, and even a licence to fish, wouldn't it be a good idea to have a licence to reproduce? Maybe take a couple of parenting classes before you have a kid? I think raising a child is way more important than driving or fishing, so why not be properly prepared?

Again, I'm not trying to offend anybody here. I myself think (I know) I would be a great mother, maybe a little strict, but I would take care of business. I would be my kids parent then when they were a responsible adult, I would be their friend. But for the mean time, I'll stick with Chloe, Jack, and Betty. No drugs, no backtalk, no fighting = no worries!

View Profile of Atomicchick Send a personal message to Atomicchick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bamboo Dude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-15 11:16 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-07-15 22:44, Atomicchick wrote:
That being said, here is some food for thought. If you have to have a licence to drive, a licence to ride a bike, and even a licence to fish, wouldn't it be a good idea to have a licence to reproduce? Maybe take a couple of parenting classes before you have a kid? I think raising a child is way more important than driving or fishing, so why not be properly prepared?

Atomicchick...now this is a fantastic idea; I wish there were a way to make it so. Becoming a parent is not a commitment to be taken lightly, but it is a commitment that is too often entered into irresponsibly.

View Profile of Bamboo Dude Send a personal message to Bamboo Dude      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Geeky Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-15 11:21 pm   Permalink

I consider my kids to be little animals, but the vet bills run higher.

We went to see the Bull Run cars. There had a car sponsored by both Hot Wheels and Spearmint Rhino (titty bar). I liked the juxtapositioning of the two logos.

There were so many Ferraris, the boys got bored.

They did try to make off with a Lambo, though. They were saying something about the coolness of the car synergizing with their aloha shirts.

View Profile of Geeky Tiki Send a personal message to Geeky Tiki  Email Geeky Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cynfulcynner
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-16 01:05 am   Permalink

Quote:

If you have to have a licence to drive, a licence to ride a bike, and even a licence to fish, wouldn't it be a good idea to have a licence to reproduce? Maybe take a couple of parenting classes before you have a kid?

They make you go through all that if you want to adopt a kid via state agencies or be a foster parent.

Now that you've made that lengthy post and SweetPea mentioned the "BRATS!" page here before I could, I think it's safe for me to come out....

I am childfree by choice. I've always been this way; I can't recall a time I ever felt otherwise.

When my little brother was born, it was assumed that I would feel resentful because he was getting all the attention. However, I ended up feeling sorry for my parents because they had to deal with all of his 2 AM feedings and stinky diapers. At the age of 4, I saw the reality that parenting was not a glamorous job.

As I got older, I saw families struggling to balance parenthood and careers, trying to "have it all," and I knew I could never live like that. I don't want it all!

I'm not saying that I hate kids. I always enjoyed babysitting my little cousins and watching them grow up (one swam at the Olympic trials last week) and I look forward to becoming the "crazy doting aunt" in a few years.

In addition to the Bratpage already mentioned, here are some more online resources:

www.childfree.net
www.nokidding.net
alt.support.childfree
www.ninapaley.com (great animated films)

For you parents out there, please keep in mind that we are not the enemy. We like your kids, as long as we can return them to you after a while.

--cindy

View Profile of cynfulcynner Send a personal message to cynfulcynner      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
docwoods
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-16 07:08 am   Permalink

Atomichick-you've hit the nail on the head.I work at a private preschool,and so many parents turn out not to be parents,but just the tallest people in the house.These parents are deathly afraid of their children not liking them.It's pretty scary-if as a parent you can't manage a two-year old,what chance do you have of managing a teenager?

View Profile of docwoods Send a personal message to docwoods  Email docwoods     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Geeky Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-16 08:07 am   Permalink

Hmmm, maybe the original Tiki period ended because so few Tiki fans reproduce!

Not enough people pass on the Tiki appreciation gene, I bet.

It must have to skip generations, or something.

You think there could be a link between love of Tiki and disinterest in child rearing?

View Profile of Geeky Tiki Send a personal message to Geeky Tiki  Email Geeky Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-16 5:11 pm   Permalink

Quote:

That being said, here is some food for thought. If you have to have a licence to drive, a licence to ride a bike, and even a licence to fish, wouldn't it be a good idea to have a licence to reproduce? Maybe take a couple of parenting classes before you have a kid?

I believe you might find a chapter dedicated to that topic in Mein Kampf.

[ This Message was edited by: Johntiki on 2004-07-16 20:49 ]

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kha_o
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-07-16 8:09 pm   Permalink

Used to be that people made a family and then settled into their lifestyle... Nowadays people don't want to start one because it will interfere with their lifestyle.

Being a father has made me a much better human being. Yes, there are bad parents out there, but there are bad pet owners out there too.

Just a few weeks ago while taking a walk, some genius was trying to convince me that their dog wouldn't bite me because it was only "half pit bull" and "fixed." I should emphasize "trying to convince me" because it had already bitten me - twice. I didn't provoke the attack - I'm terrified of dogs (due to the whole biting thing) and keep my distance from them (in this case, about 40 feet).

What I hear often - "if you weren't so afraid of them, they wouldn't bite you." Someone explain where the logic is in that one

After the attack, I called the cops and what happened? Nothing. If someone's kid attacked me and drew blood that kid would be cuffed and stuffed, but the "cute little puppy" only had its owners admonished. What do I get? Tetanus shots and a the advice to "lighten up" from the police, who made time to have "pet talk" for about 20 minutes with the "little darling's" owner.

Lucky my kid wasn't there to get his chance at getting bit or that pet owner's "precious child" would have had the sh!t kicked out of it. (...and in this day and age, I'd go to jail.)

-----

75% of the world's population would eat your pets if they had the chance. Now go buy Fluffy another $50.00 gift while they keep starving.

Oh yeah - tetanus shots are a great time.

[ This Message was edited by: kha_o on 2004-07-16 20:38 ]

View Profile of kha_o Send a personal message to kha_o      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-17 12:54 am   Permalink

Quote:

75% of the world's population would eat your pets if they had the chance.

Classic.

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation