[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Smoking and Flaming Drinks
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Smoking and Flaming Drinks
sporkboyofjustice
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-21 1:19 pm   Permalink

Search as I might I was unable to find any info on techniques used to flame or smoke drinks. I'm interested in using dry ice for smoking. I was thinking about floating something in the drink, fill that with water and drop in dry ice.

I think a half of a lime would work for that but I haven't tested it. If you have any suggestions I'm all ears.

As far as flaming a drink I've got some 151 proof rum and I've floated a piece of soaked toast on a lemon wheel and got that to light. The problem is that it is pretty lackluster. I've heard of floating a lime shell, filling that with rum and lighting that but I haven't had any luck with that.

Are there any better (more impressive flames) techniques out there for this?

Edit: Link to fire risks thread
http://tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=3366&forum=7

[ This Message was edited by: sporkboyofjustice on 2004-07-30 16:13 ]

View Profile of sporkboyofjustice Send a personal message to sporkboyofjustice  Goto the website of sporkboyofjustice     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-21 3:25 pm   Permalink

Pure lemon extract works the best.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-21 3:32 pm   Permalink

sporkboy, here's a *great* thread with info on how to get a nice flame:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=4231&forum=5

Don't know about the dry ice, though, I have to admit I've never seen a dry ice drink in person. I know a number of the Spanish mugs are designed specifically to use dry ice, and have separate receptacles built in. I think that sometimes the way dry ice is done is to have the drink itself inside a tall thin glass that is sitting inside a wider mug that has dry ice in it. You don't want to risk someone trying to sip and bumping their lip into the dry ice. Yeowch!

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-21 3:38 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-07-21 15:32, Humuhumu wrote:
sporkboy, here's a *great* thread with info on how to get a nice flame:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=4231&forum=5

With a one of the better TC members posting "interactions"

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
docwoods
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-21 3:57 pm   Permalink

Sporkboy-get the book "Pad Parties" by Mark Maranian-he has all sorts of terrific flaming garnishes-the ring of fire,the roswell,the tahitian torch,and others.You'll have a blast going through his book-all sorts of nifty party ideas.One of his questions in the "How do you garnish?" is the question "Does your garnish throw flames so high it sets off the fire alarms?".Should be right up your alley.

View Profile of docwoods Send a personal message to docwoods  Email docwoods     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SON OF MOTHRA
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-22 3:42 pm   Permalink

Dry ice smoking cocktails is a tough one. As far as I understand, smoking drinks were fairly popular back in the day. In every instance I've ever seen them, they were in special bowls that usually had some kind of opening on either three or four sides that did not connect to the main "bowl" portion where the cocktail was poured. The dry ice was then placed in these openings, and some water was added which caused the smoking effect. You could create this still provided you had the right type of bowl. In other words, you don't just want to throw dry ice in your drink. I think it was bigbrotiki that sold a dry ice bowl (as I call them) on ebay a month or so ago and it sold for huge bucks. I make a seasonal punch (poison) on halloween with the dry ice smoking effect. I mix up the punch in one bowl, than place that bowl in a larger bowl. Then I fill the larger bowl, around the smaller bowl about 1/2 full with dry ice, then fill the rest with cool water. Then I add jello moais with candy worms inside them and let them float around on the water. It looks like a creepy swamp type of a deal. It's a very cool effect.

[ This Message was edited by: SON OF MOTHRA on 2004-07-22 15:45 ]

View Profile of SON OF MOTHRA Send a personal message to SON OF MOTHRA  Email SON OF MOTHRA     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sporkboyofjustice
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-22 3:54 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the tips everybody. I'll have to try the lemon extract, I think I have some laying around from candy making. I have seen the mugs and bowls from Spain, very nice but pricey. The only thing that I've found that might work would be a special type of tea cup.

They have a seperate compartment for a used tea bag on the back which could be used for a dry ice pocket. I'd need to tiki it up a bit but I think that it would work.

View Profile of sporkboyofjustice Send a personal message to sporkboyofjustice  Goto the website of sporkboyofjustice     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Doctor Z
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-23 12:42 am   Permalink

As far as the dry ice goes, keep in mind that if you simply put dry ice into cool or even tap temperature water, all it will do is bubble - you won't get the dramatic "smoky/steamy" effect at all, just bubbling water. To get the effect you see in pictures and movies, the water needs to be as warm or hot as possible, and even then the effect doesn't last long: once the super-cold dry ice cools the water down sufficiently, you'll be left with just bubbling water again. I've always wondered about the drink mugs with the little side pockets for water & dry ice, 'cause even if you used boiling water, that small of an amount of water would cool down awfully fast, and make a very short lived effect. However, being "right next to" the drink itself, the dry ice/ice water would contunue to cool the drink at least. Get some dry ice and try it out for yourself to get the temperature and timing right, so you will be sure to impress your guests with more than just bubbling water!

Oh, and for flaming drinks, I use a spent lime shell speared with a skewer (to help keep it from sinking). Drop a sugar cube in it, douse it with 151 and ignite. Unless the person sloshes their drink and puts it out, it'll burn until the "fuel" is gone, usually about 5 - 7 minutes. Volcano bowls - sugar cube and 151 as well. It makes a nice sized blue & orange flame, and if it gets in your drink - no worries! And once the fire does go out, you're not left with a charred crouton, just a wet sugar cube!
Ask for it by name!

View Profile of Doctor Z Send a personal message to Doctor Z  Email Doctor Z     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sporkboyofjustice
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-23 09:55 am   Permalink

I was wondering about having a black lump of cruton in my drink, I'll have to get some sugar cubes to test out. I did know about using hot water with dry ice, last year I filled pumpkins with hot water and plopped in dry ice. It put out a ton of smoke while it lasted but it didn't last long at all.

I do have a couple fog machines but the smoke is toxic and no good for drinks. They do have ultrasonic smoke devices but I don't know if any are battery opperated and small enough for a drink. Does anyone know about these? I'll give google a go but I don't think I'll find one small enough.

martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2004-07-23 10:04 am   Permalink

Well, I only use the croutons in volcano bowls where it's isolated from the drink. I must say that I've never seen a taller flame than lemon extract and a crouton, so that's what I've stuck with. Plain 151 in a bowl (no sugar) is a low blue flame that you can't always see. Looks crappy.

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Doctor Z
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-23 10:31 am   Permalink

While we're on the subject, how does one make 'flaming brandy' drinks & desserts? At the Mai Kai, I watched this woman make/serve Flaming Cherries Jubilee, which I believe is just cherries and brandy. She prepared it tableside by pouring brandy into a bowl of cherries and stirring it around with a spoon, before serving it in smaller bowls. All the while it was burning with an intense blue flame which was pretty easy to see because it was quite dark in the room. Every once in a while she'd pour it from a few feet up and the flame would race up into the pitcher. It was an amazing spectacle (but then again, what at the Mai Kai isn't??) and she spent some time making it for maximum effect. Anyhow, I've tried to light brandy before with no success. I've heard recently that it must be heated first - true?
Ask for it by name!

View Profile of Doctor Z Send a personal message to Doctor Z  Email Doctor Z     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sporkboyofjustice
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-23 11:56 am   Permalink

The website I found below says that the brandy must be heated to 130 degrees before you add it to the dish. If there is a better use for the internet than learning how to set food and drinks on fire then I don't know what it is.

http://homecooking.about.com/library/weekly/aa123002a.htm

Edit: Highlights from the article:
80 proof is considered ideal for flambe.
Do not pour directly from bottle, it may explode.
Warm in microwave for about 15 seconds.
Food you are trying to flame must be warm.
Light fumes with a long match.

[ This Message was edited by: sporkboyofjustice on 2004-07-23 15:42 ]

freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-23 12:54 pm   Permalink

Here's some Flambe tips from Food Network:

Flambe tips from Food Network

[ Edited by Humuhumu to fix wonky comma-laden and thus not auto-link friendly url ]

[ This Message was edited by: Humuhumu on 2004-07-23 13:05 ]

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiHula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-20 10:51 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-07-23 10:04, martiki wrote:
I must say that I've never seen a taller flame than lemon extract and a crouton...

My rubbing alcohol flame will kick ass on your lemon flame anyday!
Bring it on, crouton boy!

View Profile of TikiHula Send a personal message to TikiHula  Email TikiHula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2004-08-20 11:16 am   Permalink

Just don't get any drips of that rubbing alcohol into your drink.

By the way, my gasoline flame is a sight to behold. Sort of stinks a bit though...

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation