FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Smoking and Flaming Drinks
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Smoking and Flaming Drinks
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-30 11:35 am   Permalink

Watch out for the moderators....

You can't mod what isn't there!

[ This Message was edited by: Chip and Andy 2009-02-23 10:21 ]

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Rick
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-09-30 1:47 pm   Permalink

Ha! For a totally out there flame, try filling the volcano with absinthe and lighting that! Voila, la Fee Verte!

View Profile of Trader Rick Send a personal message to Trader Rick  Email Trader Rick     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-30 2:53 pm   Permalink

HA! Finally a use for that expensive potent stuff!

WARNING: a) Be sure to mix it 10:1, or maybe 10:2 NOT 1:1. b) Don't let drunken Tikiwahine mix it for you, unless she follows the 10:1 rules.

There was a baseball hat wearing fellow drinking it STRAIGHT at Al & Shelly's Bahia Cabana party Friday night, I'd love to know who it was!

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2004-10-02 1:42 pm   Permalink

Yeah well, stupid me got drunk and drank it straight too. Just about a half an ounce. It really is like nothing else on this earth.

thanks for bringing it...i think.

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KuKuAhu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-05 8:22 pm   Permalink

Old topic revival, sorry...

There was local bar (now defunct) that used to serve several cocktails with dry ice in them.

There really is no trick to it. The only caveat in the process is to insure the use of straws for bowl drinks and regular ice for drinks in glasses (straws here wouldn't hurt either).

A "puck" or some "cubes" of dry ice is placed into the glass first and then topped with water ice. This keeps it from floating up from the bottom of the glass. Then you simply strain the drink into it, add straw and serve.

The "smoke" will appear regardless of whether the drink is hot or cold. In fact, the only way one could get "maximum smoking" to take place would be to run heated liquid over the dry ice repeatedly, as its super-cold temperature rapidly cools any liquid it comes in contact with and this rapid boil ceases.

Most folks assume that because they dumped hot water on it and got a huge burst of "smoke", that this would be the way to go. In truth, this is only the case in the short term.

Try the same technique, but test the temperature of the hot water within 3-5 minutes. Provided you have used a sufficient ratio of dry ice to liquid (such that it is not all turned to gas upon intitial exposure), you'll find the water turned lukewarm at best rather quickly.

Yes, the smoke effect is lessened in a cold served drink, the bubbles will produce smoking effects when they burst, and as the drink warms a bit, the smoke will increase a tad.

It was never meant to be a huge cauldron effect when one is pouring into a highball glass. Rather, a subtle and kooky boiling fog should occur.

As for bowls, it's all about the quantity and the wait.

If you float a large flat hunk (lots of surface area) into a cold punch bowl, you'll get a reasonable amount of the "witch doctor brew" thing you are looking for in a short time.

Share the bowl via straws. Do not ladle this drink into cups though unless you use the flat chunk as described. One is tempted to use crushed bits to get the surface area I mentioned and thus more fog. If ladeling is your intention, then you must use straws for the cups or a big piece of dry ice that won't accidentally wind up on someone's lips after everybody is sauced.

As a side note, when you get your order of dry ice, don a pair of good gloves and grab a small chunk. Press this against any resonant metal surface (tubular steel railings work well) and move it around a bit and you should get a tremendous shreiking hissing noise like bad brakes on an old truck.

Cool!

Ahu

View Profile of KuKuAhu Send a personal message to KuKuAhu  Email KuKuAhu Goto the website of KuKuAhu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-10 5:01 pm   Permalink

An older topic, but something I thought could be fun for Holiday entertaining.....

This is 151 in a spent lime-shell. Not the "Brightest" flame, but easy to manage and present.

Using Mat's method from PAD (with the Crouton and extract) makes a brighter flame, but tends to smoke as the crouton chars.

This is a split bowl that has pockets for the dry ice.

Safety first, then presentation.

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tigerlily
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-12-10 11:54 pm   Permalink

I'm having a dinner party Friday night and using the my first volcano bowl that I just bought from Danlovestiki. I've had a couple smaller Harvey's bowls for years and never used them. I'm going to try the original Trader Vic's recipe for the Scorpion posted here, minus the white wine. I ordered the Orgeat online. I could not find any plain croutons tonight and Gardenias do not seem to be in season. I'm sort of nervous since I've never made a Scorpion before or flamed drinks.

Any pointers or suggestions will be appreciated.

View Profile of Tigerlily Send a personal message to Tigerlily      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-07 9:16 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-12-10 23:54, Tigerlily wrote:
I'm having a dinner party Friday night and using the my first volcano bowl that I just bought from Danlovestiki. ...

How did it go? Did you get pictures?

cheekytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-08 02:30 am   Permalink

Try a pinch of cinnamon sprinkled over the flame

View Profile of cheekytiki Send a personal message to cheekytiki  Email cheekytiki Goto the website of cheekytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tigerlily

Posted: 2007-01-08 5:40 pm   Permalink

The party was so much fun. The Scorpions were a big hit and tasted great!! I used the Trader Vic's recipe. We soaked the sugar cubes in lemon extract and placed them in the volcano and used lemon rinds for the small bowls. The flame did not last long. I think we were needed to add the lemon extract directly to the volcano and the lemon rinds?

View Profile of Tigerlily Send a personal message to Tigerlily      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SoccerTiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-01-08 6:00 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-01-08 17:40, Tigerlily wrote:
The party was so much fun. The Scorpions were a big hit and tasted great!! I used the Trader Vic's recipe. We soaked the sugar cubes in lemon extract and placed them in the volcano and used lemon rinds for the small bowls. The flame did not last long. I think we were needed to add the lemon extract directly to the volcano and the lemon rinds?

That looked like a fun party!!!! When's the next one Tigerlily??????

View Profile of SoccerTiki Send a personal message to SoccerTiki  Email SoccerTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Digitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-12 10:02 am   Permalink

Where can you find those super long straws?

View Profile of Digitiki Send a personal message to Digitiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tigerlily

Posted: 2007-01-12 10:38 am   Permalink

Ordered from artist and carver Bosko

ttp://www.tikibosko.com/

Bahookahuna
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-04-25 7:51 pm   Permalink

~~~~ FORBIDDEN SECRET OF THE BAHOOKA FLAMING CROUTON ~~~~

Okay, so evidently not forbidden. Or secret.

But anyway, I phoned the Bahooka the other night to learn their secret, if they would tell me. They did. As Martiki has already divulged here and in another thread, the very best flame to be found anywhere -- anywhere in Rosemead, California, at least -- is with a dry crouton dipped in pure lemon extract. The Bahooka Restaurant has their lemon extract delivered from a restaurant supply place, so they didn't know where or even whether a civilian could get some.

After fruitless forays into Ralph's, Whole Foods, Bristol Farms, and two liquor stores, I did finally find it at Smart & Final -- again, territory Martiki had already mapped here. Someone else in the forums mentioned paying big $$$ for their lemon extract, but the stuff at Smart & Final is super cheap: 16 fl oz for under $5. The brand they had when I went was Chef's Review, ingredients being alcohol, lemon oil, and water.

Almost needless to say, I experimented that very night, and discovered that (a) the flame burns meditatively long, intimidatingly tall, and crowd-pleasingly bright, (b) it seems like this single 16 fl oz bottle will illuminate parties all summer long, and (c) soaking the crouton in the extract for 10 minutes first was less effective than quickly dipping it right before ignition.

It's this last discovery that makes me think that, while sugar cubes have been "floated" (conversationally, that is) as a possible analog to croutons, the fact that sugar cubes soak through quickly means -- I'd assume -- they would most likely burn less spectacularly, or at least for less time. If ever I have a sugar cube handy, maybe I'll perform a controlled trial to test this assumption.

At our inaugural Eye of Erna-Erna Backyard Bali Hai barbeque in a couple of weeks, I'll be floating (literally, not conversationally) the little flaming croutons on ice-blended drinks by taking an orange slice (quartered orange), removing the fruit from one half of the slice, spearing it (the orange peel with half its fruit liberated) with a sword cocktail pick for stability, propping the orange peel on the edge of the cup, and perching the crouton on the bare part of the orange peel before lighting it.

Our inaugural drink (I think invented by us that same night, and so named by us, though I could be wrong about no one inventing this before), and the signature drink of Eye of Erna-Erna Backyard Bali Hai, is:

Mona’s Flaming Volcano Taboo (named for a howler monkey we met in Costa Rica)

5 ounces dark rum (Cruzan; but am curious to try Captain Morgan Spiced, too)
2 ounces banana liqueur
2 ounces water
1 ounce Triple Sec
1 ounce cream of coconut
2 peeled ripe bananas
½ peeled lime (the fruit, not just the juice)
2 tablespoons sugar (raw, if handy)
Ice to top of blender

Puree until smooth and thick.

And safety first, please, with those flames! Leave the violent explosions and burnt flesh for the real volcanos.

Look not into the eyes of the idol...

[ This Message was edited by: Bahookahuna 2007-04-26 15:37 ]

View Profile of Bahookahuna Send a personal message to Bahookahuna      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bahookahuna
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-04-26 7:30 pm   Permalink

More scenic (same recipe):

Look not into the eyes of the idol...

[ This Message was edited by: Bahookahuna 2007-04-27 13:37 ]

View Profile of Bahookahuna Send a personal message to Bahookahuna      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation