FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts The Rongorongo Room - home bar (water-damaged Dec 06)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
The Rongorongo Room - home bar (water-damaged Dec 06)
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-22 11:23 am   Permalink

What a rockin' pad!
The bar itself looks great, and it really looks like the kind of place you could spend many an evening in. Looks like you just need a trip to the local rum dealer!

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kim
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-22 2:02 pm   Permalink

Dogbytes, were you at the NW Tiki Crawl? Mr. TikiBar did a simply stunning job on the stairway leading down to his basement bar, and he might have some ideas for you.

View Profile of Kim Send a personal message to Kim      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-22 2:10 pm   Permalink

Thanks dogbytes, I love it. where can I get one of those screens?

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-22 4:23 pm   Permalink

Re: plants, I'd make them fake, but that's because I can't be trusted to remember to water the poor things.

The low light is a concern, most plants you put down there will tend to be more pale & leggy than they would be in an ideal lighting situation--they'll look decidedly un-tropical. I know plenty of outdoors exceptions, but I know less about indoor low-light plants. There's a common plant used in offices that is a kind of corn, its common name is Janet Craig. They look passably tropical, and are hardy as all get-out. They'd probably do fine in the low light. (Note to non-Seattlites: the pictures dogbytes has posted may look bright & airy, but let me assure you: in Seattle, even a south-facing windowsill is pretty darned low light, and having been to her house, it's gonna be *really* low light for the plants in there.)

The great thing about poor lighting is it's that much harder to tell the plants are fake. If you want to shell out some big bucks, Ethan Allen sells some rather nice fake plants. I bought everything I needed to make my palm trees at Display & Costume Supply up by Northgate. (Except for the fake coconuts, those came from Hawai'i General Store on 45th. Oh yeah, and the pipe, flange & dowel, those came from Home Depot.) Here are the instructions:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=7060&forum=7

Most of the fake flowers & whatnot I picked up at the Michael's up by Alderwood Mall, they've got a huge selection of crappy silk flowers, and a small selection of really nice ones.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
purple jade
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-22 4:29 pm   Permalink

About Corn Plant (a Draecena really)...it's poisonous to pets! Don't know if Cicely and Glacier are chewers.
Another vote for fake plants.

View Profile of purple jade Send a personal message to purple jade  Email purple jade Goto the website of purple jade     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dogbytes
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2004-07-23 12:53 am   Permalink

Benzart: here's a thread
bamboo curtains

another nice one
hula girl

and of course, there's always ebay.

humuhumu should chime in here, because the one she had was beautiful and well made!

very nice selection if you do a google froogle search

edited to spell humuhumu's name right so she didnt have to make the correction

[ This Message was edited by: dogbytes on 2004-07-23 01:01 ]

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Alnshely
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-23 6:26 pm   Permalink

Elicia,
Beautiful pad, you do great work. Fishtanks, closet bar, Tapa dogbeds, cool ideas. I love the furniture. It all came out real well.

Plain Stairwell?

I say go with stone for that grotto look.

I like the net on the stairway

Needs bamboo

I did this bamboo screen look on a short wall in my bar, it looks cool. I first saw it in the Bond movie "Dr No"

Your bar is rad.
Mahalo,
Al

View Profile of Alnshely Send a personal message to Alnshely  Email Alnshely     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dogbytes
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2005-08-22 3:41 pm   Permalink

its been a year since some of you have seen the Rongorongo Room. We've had a few Tiki Centralites visit us ~ here are pictures for you who can only visit us virtually!

taking in lots of advice and buying wonderful art from some of the folks here on Tiki Central. here's what we've done so far:

Stairwell~ using
single ply woven bamboo plywood and a electric staple gun and Corobuff Tapa

Heather Watts print, framed by Taboo Dan & Tiki by Kirby

Seamus

Polypop made this plaque

Sign by Woofmutt~ who has no website so you have to bug him in person and ply him with drinks so he'll make you stuff. this is made of foam and it's reversable!

the backside

the fine print says "wasting away again in Margarita-ville" and "international buffett boosters"

Craigslist finds!

come in, sit down!

the haywood-wakefield chairs have been recovered. i put woven bamboo plywood over the glass door, the perfect place to hang my Chongolio! A tapa cloth covers the TV set.

Here are some additional pictures: Sabina's post and Sabina's Gallery

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-22 3:49 pm   Permalink

Nice getaway Dog. Sweetness

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabina
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2005-08-22 4:39 pm   Permalink

YAY!

New pix! Looks wonderful!

Keep 'em coming.

View Profile of Sabina Send a personal message to Sabina  Goto the website of Sabina     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-23 12:34 pm   Permalink

Dogbytes, it was nice meeting you back at Oasis 5. Your place really looks great. Excellent decorating!

A-A

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
badmojo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-28 07:06 am   Permalink

DB, I love it! Isn't the Roll o' Tapa great?

View Profile of badmojo Send a personal message to badmojo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pepe le Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-28 08:51 am   Permalink

Looks great Dogbytes! I love the faux fish tanks and that's one impressive art collection too!

View Profile of Pepe le Tiki Send a personal message to Pepe le Tiki  Goto the website of Pepe le Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-08-28 10:22 am   Permalink

WHat a place to relax! amazing bar, dogbytes. I too am impressed with your art collection...and that sign and entry way is an excellent way to welcome friends. thanks for sharing

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-28 10:30 am   Permalink

We spent a very enchanted evening with dogbytes & her husband, along with puamana & Selector Lopaka, while we were in Seattle. The Rongorongo Rickey is a real treat -- tasty and refreshing! The tasty tarts were delish. The Rongorongo Room is even cozier and more welcoming than the pictures suggest. The plants added the perfect touch. The patio is coming along nicely, too!

Thanks so much for having us!

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation