FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food zaya rum?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
zaya rum?
Mo-Eye
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-15 2:45 pm   Permalink

Zaya is by far my favorite sipping rum, but one of the few things that suck about living in Hawaii is finding a good selection of rum out here.

I only know of one store that sells it, and I have to cough up about $45-50 for a bottle, but its worth it!!

I have just started seeing it in a few restaurants. We have a mexican and cuban place that both have it for about $8 a drink. Rumfire in Waikiki also has it, and they charge $18 for 2 ounces!!!!!

View Profile of Mo-Eye Send a personal message to Mo-Eye  Goto the website of Mo-Eye     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bewarethe151
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-06-15 8:08 pm   Permalink

You may hear this with dismay, Zaya is changing its formula, perhaps. The current Zaya, sourced from Botran Guatemalan rums will switch its bottling to rums from Trinidad. That will certainly change its taste. Please read these threads from The Ministry of Rum to see the whole story. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

http://www.ministryofrum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1632
http://www.ministryofrum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1445

View Profile of bewarethe151 Send a personal message to bewarethe151      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bamalamalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-16 7:43 pm   Permalink

Sob! That is really heart-breaking news. I absolutely love Zaya. I certainly wouldn't turn down the Zacapa 23, but Zaya is my favorite, hands down.

Thanks for letting us know, at least I know and can try to stock up a bit.

(And thanks for the reminder about the Ministry of Rum site in general - obviously I need to visit more!)

View Profile of bamalamalu Send a personal message to bamalamalu  Email bamalamalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kona Chris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-16 8:43 pm   Permalink

I read this info, and immediately put on my shoes and drove to the one store that I knew had a bottle of Zaya on the shelf. A mere $27.99 + tax later and it has since joined the many other bottles in my collection. And I'm now enjoying an ounce out of my previously opened bottle. Yum!

View Profile of Kona Chris Send a personal message to Kona Chris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Iniquitiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-06-20 01:02 am   Permalink

I bought a few bottles of Zaya at SAFEWAY, yesterday.

AND IT WAS ON SALE!

View Profile of Iniquitiki Send a personal message to Iniquitiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bamalamalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-06 3:21 pm   Permalink

We spotted the new version of Zaya at the Mission Valley (San Diego) BevMo last night. Had to buy a bottle and do the taste taste.
My verdict - I'm glad I stocked up on the original. The new version is similar, but it's not the same. There's a very strong vanilla flavor - and scent - to it. We immediately noticed the scent opening the bottle. It's certainly not bad, but both of us sampling do prefer the old version.

The bottle looks pretty much identical, just that it says 'Imported Rum from Trinidad' rather than Guatemala. And it was the same price, just under $29.

View Profile of bamalamalu Send a personal message to bamalamalu  Email bamalamalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KuKu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-08 7:26 pm   Permalink

I got a nice bottle of the 12 year from Trinadad for $25.00 @ my local liquor store. Very tasty, the tag reads:
Dark brown rum distilled from molasses. Aged 12 years in used whisky and bourbon barrels.
A fine example of an aged rum blended from rums aged in medium toasted oak barrels. Notes of vanilla, chocolate and coffee in a rich body with a smoky oak flavor in the finish.

View Profile of KuKu Send a personal message to KuKu  Email KuKu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-09 6:55 pm   Permalink

You can buy Zaya Rum for $24.99 at Bevmo on sale. I am not sure if this is a good price or not. I bought one, my first bottle ever.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kid_dynamo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-06-10 1:05 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-06-09 18:55, hiltiki wrote:
You can buy Zaya Rum for $24.99 at Bevmo on sale. I am not sure if this is a good price or not. I bought one, my first bottle ever.

The Roseville Costco here in NorCal has it on sale for $16.99 a bottle.

View Profile of kid_dynamo Send a personal message to kid_dynamo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Brandomoai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-11 11:10 am   Permalink

I'm always whining about liquor costs in Canada, but this one is ridiculous! The cheapest I've seen it here is about $65! It's usually around $75-$80. For $16.99, I would smuggle in a full case!

View Profile of Brandomoai Send a personal message to Brandomoai  Goto the website of Brandomoai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-09 12:22 pm   Permalink

Zaya Alert! Reno Nevada Costco has it @ $17.99. Snagged some,hope L A carries it.
At this price we were having some most excellent rum and cokes. Almost blasphemous.
Cheers

[ This Message was edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2012-08-09 12:25 ]

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation