FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Who's the next Oceanic Arts?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Who's the next Oceanic Arts?
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-25 09:38 am   Permalink

Is it South Seas Arts? House of Tiki? Bosko? Benzart, Chikitiki, Boobam Ben, Keigs, Basement Kahuna, Lake Surfer, Polynesiac, Octane? (forgive me me if I didn't mention your name) Or is it as yet unborn? We're all a loose bunch of individuals. With all the talented carvers, it seems some of us could team up and start something huge. Gecko has the idea when he teamed up with the painter. Who will it be?

Oki NiKsoKoWa
(Hello all my relatives)
TikiJungle.com

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KOOMBYEYAH!
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-07-25 09:56 am   Permalink

Well how about Tiki Farm?

View Profile of KOOMBYEYAH! Send a personal message to KOOMBYEYAH!      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-25 10:12 am   Permalink

And Munktiki,...and Chongolio....and

[ This Message was edited by: Jungle Trader on 2004-07-25 10:14 ]

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Octane
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-25 10:45 am   Permalink

i would have to go with south sea arts and Gecko, he has aswome designs great carvings and as jungletrader said has a painter as well.

View Profile of Octane Send a personal message to Octane      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FLOUNDERart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-25 1:32 pm   Permalink

How about Spencers Gifts, Target or maybe Walmart!

View Profile of FLOUNDERart Send a personal message to FLOUNDERart  Email FLOUNDERart Goto the website of FLOUNDERart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-25 2:35 pm   Permalink

Good one Halibut!!

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-25 2:39 pm   Permalink

How about there will Never be another Oceanic Arts. There will be many other individual art producers but as far as a group to come along and have the impact OA did it would have to be in another field altogether, something that does not exist at the moment. O A did so much to populate so many commercial establisjhments with Tiki Art and decorations that the tiki movement will never experience that palce in time.
That doesn't mean a group of us can't get together and create a Huge Tiki art supply company. I'm open to suggestions and am willing to help in any way, but I've already been around a long time.
Maybe Gecko's South Seas Arts is on track but time will tell.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FLOUNDERart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-25 2:53 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-07-25 14:35, Jungle Trader wrote:
Good one Halibut!!

If you dont mind, I prefer sole.

View Profile of FLOUNDERart Send a personal message to FLOUNDERart  Email FLOUNDERart Goto the website of FLOUNDERart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
purple jade
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-25 3:18 pm   Permalink

Not Holy Mackerel?

View Profile of purple jade Send a personal message to purple jade  Email purple jade Goto the website of purple jade     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cheekytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-25 3:51 pm   Permalink

Quote:
That doesn't mean a group of us can't get together and create a Huge Tiki art supply company.

Ben I'll be expecting the first shipment for the european branch from you soon then.
Please ship to.....
Anybody else?

www.cheekytiki.com
http://cheekytikiuk.blogspot.com/

"Don't drink water, fish f*~k in it" W.C. Feilds

View Profile of cheekytiki Send a personal message to cheekytiki  Email cheekytiki Goto the website of cheekytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-25 4:13 pm   Permalink

I Like " King Fish" better..

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-25 6:47 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-07-25 14:39, Benzart wrote:
How about there will Never be another Oceanic Arts. There will be many other individual art producers but as far as a group to come along and have the impact OA did it would have to be in another field altogether, something that does not exist at the moment. O A did so much to populate so many commercial establisjhments with Tiki Art and decorations that the tiki movement will never experience that palce in time.

I have to side with Benzart on this one... Oceanic Arts is not just another place you can buy a tiki. These guys defined the Polynesian Pop era with their style and made a MAJOR impact. And they are still doing what they do best -- the decade of destruction (80's) couldn't stop them. They are both living legends and for NOT being followers but for being innovators. The Godfathers of Polynesian Pop if you will.

I'm not saying that today's talent doesn't have it -- they do. I just believe that Oceanic Arts started and established the field that today's artist is just trying to fit in to.

Again, no disrespect to any of today's talented artists, carvers, etc.

The next Oceanic Arts in my opinion, has yet to be born or already exists and we just don't know who they are yet. But they're not in the Polynesian Pop/Tropical/Hawaiian/Etc genre. They are in another genre and we won't realize who they are until 40 years from now when what they are doing now becomes passe and then becomes cool again because our kids will appreciate it after it has disappeared and will realize what an impact they have made.

Poly-Pop *

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TNTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-25 8:20 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 16:00 ]

View Profile of TNTiki Send a personal message to TNTiki  Email TNTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-25 8:30 pm   Permalink

They could be Emeril and Cooking with Bobby Flay or the trading spaces. People on the forfront of a New Different phase of an industry.

Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-25 10:05 pm   Permalink

We're in a new tiki era now though. I understand that there will never be another Oceanic Arts, just like there'll never be another Trader Vic because of the era they lived in.
It's coming back around and I'm just wondering who will ride the crest of the next wave. Really I'm trying to light a fire and get people thinking about how big it can be. Who will innovate, and tweak it just right and make the old look new again. It's exciting to be a part of it and watching how it all unfolds.

Oki NiKsoKoWa
(Hello all my relatives)
TikiJungle.com

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation