FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Locating Tiki » » Kowloon Restaurant - Saugus, MA, Saugus, MA (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Kowloon Restaurant - Saugus, MA, Saugus, MA (restaurant)
dewey-surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-29 08:13 am   Permalink

I just went up to MA last week for vacation. Did some sightseeing, and went to dinner at Kowloon. I sat in the booth in the above picture that is closest to the right. The food was alright. Not the best Chinese/Polynesian I ever had. The atmosphere was good, the service staff was very helpful. You have to like the huge A-frame that juts out of the landscape on 1A, and the Tiki on top is massive. The inside was decorated more toward the Orient than Poly-pop. I would recommend if you are ever in the area, but not to make a trip only for that.

View Profile of dewey-surf Send a personal message to dewey-surf      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chub
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-04 11:00 pm   Permalink

A few pics from January 2nd 2011.

View Profile of Chub Send a personal message to Chub  Goto the website of Chub     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Michelle66
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-03-06 06:58 am   Permalink

I grew up in Reading, MA and the Kowloon was the only Polynesian/Chinese restaurant we'd go to as my mother would only eat one type of "exotic" (to her) food: Kowloon's "boneless fried chicken" (which is just small chunks of chicken in a brown sauce).

My dad would always order one of their flaming Pu-Pu Platters and we just *needed* to sit next to the volcano so I could watch its animated smoke coming out (a rotating piece of tin foil behind a colored-glass window). (I'd get sulky if that table was occupied.)

I still need to make a Kowloon stop every summer when I go back to the Boston area for vacation.

Funnily enough, I've *never* had a cocktail there. (Too young when I went with my folks back in the 70's, and I don't drink if I need to drive.)

Kowloon is an institution, so I'm sure it will last for many more years.

View Profile of Michelle66 Send a personal message to Michelle66      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
xtine
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-07-12 3:36 pm   Permalink

Is it true there was a fire there today? I hope everything is OK!

[ This Message was edited by: xtine 2011-07-12 15:40 ]

View Profile of xtine Send a personal message to xtine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Granite Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-12 4:33 pm   Permalink

They announced on Facebook that all is well!

Whew!

View Profile of The Granite Tiki Send a personal message to The Granite Tiki  Email The Granite Tiki Goto the website of The Granite Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-12 7:09 pm   Permalink

Are ya trying to give me a heart attack!?!?

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-05 6:01 pm   Permalink

I picked up this matchbook from the Kowloon. It is an older one that has the Luau 400 style Tiki mask as the logo.

Here is a newer version with the building and Volcano Bay Room.

This matchbook also advertises the Kowloon Cafe in Boston, which I don't think had any Tiki.

A 1970s postcard with four views of the Kowloon.

And finally, a cool mug I spotted on ebay from the Kowloon - I had not seen before.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Fish Canoe

Posted: 2012-06-25 4:34 pm   Permalink

I'm deeply fond of this place. Though we never went there on family trips to Boston down from Maine, since my mom was serious about Chinese restaurants and loved china town so much. I never went until just a couple of years ago when my dad and I went after I fetched him from the train. He died last year, and last Saturday I stopped in with my wife and girls and we sat across from the booth Dad and I shared. When I'd been there with my pops an old lady said to me, "I'm glad to see you here with your father, because we don't get to keep them forever." Remembering that as I drank a strong and tart Zombie I was moved to compose a poem in memory of the old man.

View Profile of Fish Canoe Send a personal message to Fish Canoe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MooShi Tiki

Posted: 2012-06-28 06:57 am   Permalink

Very sorry to hear of losing your Dad, thanks for sharing a great story. My parents & I used to frequent the Nan King restaurant in Hudson NH. The silent, empty seat where a loved relative once sat can speak very loud in many ways...some good, some tough. Enjoy your fond memories and poem.

[ This Message was edited by: MooShi Tiki 2012-06-28 06:58 ]

View Profile of MooShi Tiki Send a personal message to MooShi Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-09 06:16 am   Permalink

Didn't see this posted here or on Ooga...

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-07-06 5:03 pm   Permalink

Found this mug while thrifting today. Wasn't on Ooga-Mooga:

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finky099
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 4 days ago; 12:22 am   Permalink

If anybody in the Boston area wants to meet up and go to Kowloon next Thurs (9/25), please PM me. I live in Southern California, but am in Boston for the week, don't know when I'll be back and would love to meet up with any local TCer tikiphiles.

Cheers!
Ryan

View Profile of finky099 Send a personal message to finky099      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation