FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki TIKI GARDENS LP!!!
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
TIKI GARDENS LP!!!
fatuhiva
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-09-06 09:12 am   Permalink

The Vintage Tiki Gardens LP (now on CD) is finally up for sale- after some delay I now have everything ready to go

Its a dutch auction of ten copies right now-

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2138972536

Here is a sample MP3 from the record:

http://www.tikimug.com/tikigardens.mp3

The record is awesome guys- a must-hear.

View Profile of fatuhiva Send a personal message to fatuhiva      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ooga

Posted: 2002-09-07 11:13 am   Permalink

Thanks for making this available- I've been wanting to hear it for a long time.

View Profile of ooga Send a personal message to ooga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-09-07 12:13 pm   Permalink

Hey, would there be any chance that I could put a link to that mp3 sample on the Memorial? I'll add a link to your ebay seller list, so people could see if yer offering up any cds.
I've always wanted to add sound to the site, but my free webspace is running very short. I've just about used up 10 megs of webspace.
Let me know!
TG
http://www.exotic-tiki-gardens.com

View Profile of TikiGardener Send a personal message to TikiGardener  Goto the website of TikiGardener     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-09-07 2:12 pm   Permalink

Hey, I've added the link, and a link to your seller list, scream at me if you want it taken off.
Sorry, couldn't resist the idea of the theme playing while people stroll the gardens.
TG
http://www.exotic-tiki-gardens.com

View Profile of TikiGardener Send a personal message to TikiGardener  Goto the website of TikiGardener     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
fatuhiva
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-09-07 4:53 pm   Permalink

hey no problem- the mp3 is for anyone who wants to hear it

I made a static webpage for the album, which right now is redirecting to the auction page, but will be an actual info-page very soon:

http://www.tikimug.com/tikigardensrecord.html

View Profile of fatuhiva Send a personal message to fatuhiva      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
fatuhiva
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-09-15 2:32 pm   Permalink

The Tiki Gardens LP auction closes tommorow morning- heads up for anyone wanting one-

I'm probably not going to be posting anymore for quite awhile- maybe never if it is a pain to copy all these CD's

Double Crown
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2002-09-15 2:55 pm   Permalink

The Tiki Gardens LP auction closes tommorow morning- heads up for anyone wanting one-

I'm probably not going to be posting anymore for quite awhile- maybe never if it is a pain to copy all these CD's

--Jeez, you're gonna collect $150 - $200 selling the 10 CD-R's on Ebay - what are you complaining about? Your cost for the blank CD-R's and postage will be about $40, netting you a cool profit of $100 - $150 for a few hours work. I think it would have been much cooler to offer this recording as part of a CD tree, or MP3's on a website with cover scan's downloadable as .jpg's or PDF's. Hopefully one of the poor saps getting soaked for $15.00 will be willing to share the wealth and make copies at a more reasonable price (or hopefully free). Your posts following the initial auction announcement have been annoying - by saying your moving next month and that it's gonna be a pain to make 10 copies, you're merely trying to get more people to bid so you can make even more money! This definitely isn't keeping in the spirit of tiki and the Tiki Central group!

Sean
http://www.doublecrownrecords.com

View Profile of Double Crown Send a personal message to Double Crown  Email Double Crown Goto the website of Double Crown     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
fatuhiva
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-09-15 8:58 pm   Permalink

oh please, you ass.

I've been in this tiki collecting scene before you grew your first goatee. If my main goal was trying to make a profit, I'd be selling my 800+ tikimugs on Ebay to guys like you.. oh wait, you're one of those guys that thinks every mug should be 50 cents.

I'm tired of "enthusiasts" like you who are constantly whining about prices and what people are selling/buying stuff for- I have news for you, its a capitalist society. Its based on money.
Nobody owes you anything, so if you have a problem with the price of something, I suggest you quit your record store job and do something that pays for more than your roommate-share of rent- dahmn!

And I'll tell ya one other thing- Trader Frank himself didn't work for free, and I don't plan to either.

And before you go telling me what my "profit" is- try factoring in the $175 bucks I paid for the record AND the $245 bucks I paid for the analog CD burning equipment.. and no, they DON'T turn up at a Salvation Army for 82 cents, and they don't give them away at any SF Hippie FreeStore hahahaha

[ This Message was edited by: fatuhiva on 2002-09-15 21:03 ]

Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-09-16 08:10 am   Permalink

I'm going against my own golden rule of never getting involved
in a fight where the punches are already swinging (as you inevitably
catch a knock on the head from either side), but it did strike me that
it was a little mean-spirited to put these CD's on eBay after the previous
topic mentioning that they were going to be made available to TikiCentralites.

I've nothing against anyone putting whatever they want on eBay, and hopefully
making a tidy capitalist profit on it. Part of the fun is seeing just how much an item
ends up going for. If anyone here decides to put stuff up on eBay, and gives us all notice,
then that's fine. It's nice to get the 'heads up', and a lot of us enjoy seeing our pal's auctions
going through the roof.

When TikiCentralites make interesting stuff available to the rest of us at low cost, like BigBro has
with his videos and Tiki Chris has with his prints, that's particularly good of them. That's really in keeping with the whole spirit of Tiki Central. I just find it a little dubious when initial posts make it seem like
something has been made available in this spirit, then it just turns into a plug for the eBay
'every man for himself' scramble.

Please don't hit me!

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Chris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-09-16 08:21 am   Permalink

I thought it was a bummer that you "will post to United States only."

View Profile of Tiki Chris Send a personal message to Tiki Chris  Email Tiki Chris Goto the website of Tiki Chris     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-09-16 10:19 am   Permalink

1) There is a lot of overhead in making a good CD recording of an LP. So, if you want to get into "profit," do the work yourself and decide.

2) Nothing says this is the only incarnation of the Tiki Gardens LP on CD. Whatever was thought of for making it a Tiki Central or Tiki Gardens thing, can still be done.

3) I don't think many of us are going to win the bid on the next LP that shows up on Ebay. At least this way, we might get to hear it one day.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiHula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-09-16 12:40 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2002-09-16 08:10, Trader Woody wrote:
it did strike me that
it was a little mean-spirited to put these CD's on eBay after the previous
topic mentioning that they were going to be made available to TikiCentralites.

When TikiCentralites make interesting stuff available to the rest of us at low cost, like BigBro has
with his videos and Tiki Chris has with his prints, that's particularly good of them. That's really in keeping with the whole spirit of Tiki Central. I just find it a little dubious when initial posts make it seem like
something has been made available in this spirit, then it just turns into a plug for the eBay
'every man for himself' scramble.

I agree! Considering that what you are doing is ILLEGAL, due to copyright laws, I think that promoting it the way you did and making a profit is definitely not in the Tiki Central spirit!
...but then I'm the guy that sent FREE copies of the Palm Springs tiki weekend video CD that I shot out to anyone that wanted one (and I'm still willing to do that- if anyone wants one, please email me)

And no, it's NOT a big deal to record an album and put it on CD- don't pull that crap!

View Profile of TikiHula Send a personal message to TikiHula  Email TikiHula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MaD-TiKi
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2002-09-16 1:17 pm   Permalink

I have an idea, for those who were not lucky enough to have won one of the 10 cd's listed. So fatuhiva, this is just an idea and by the way you talked you have already put some money into it. So go ahead and do what you have to do to make your money back, then why don't you sign up on KaZaA.com and copy the Tiki Gardens onto it so that everyone on Tiki Central can go in and download it. Yes I know that(they say)it to is illegal but hey who's going to catch ya. I know all at Tiki Central will not tell. But if thats not something you will be willing to do, then who ever won one of the Cd's this will be a good time to get real close with your Tiki Central mates. But this is all just an idea.

No more TIKI 4 U!!!!

[ This Message was edited by: mad-tiki on 2002-09-16 13:20 ]

View Profile of MaD-TiKi Send a personal message to MaD-TiKi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hanford_lemoore
Proprietor

Posted: 2002-09-16 1:26 pm   Permalink

I'm going to move this to the Collecting Tiki section. It's Ebay. That's where this should have been all along.

~Hanford

View Profile of hanford_lemoore Send a personal message to hanford_lemoore  Email hanford_lemoore Goto the website of hanford_lemoore     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-09-16 1:37 pm   Permalink

<<And no, it's NOT a big deal to record an album and put it on CD- don't pull that crap! >>

Maybe not for you, but, here's what's involved for me.

A) You gotta get the albums, which has been about 25 years of collecting, and can cost, depending on what you want. Or not.
B) You have to have a quality stereo system with turntable. Guess at the price for that. At leaast $200-300 for the turntable, cartridge and stylus alone.
C) You have to have a computer and appropriate software for the job. I use Sound Forge. Computer, software, there's at least $1000.
D) Hook them up and let go. Right? That's an hour just to record one record to wave file. Assuming all goes well and you get the whole side on one take.
E) Copy and paste each track to a new file.
F) Go through each song and edit out every pop and crackle you can by hand. You can run it through a smoothing processor, but that has a negative effect on any part of the record that isn't a pop or crackle, which is 99% of it.
G) Work at getting the right Normalization levels. Can be easy, can be a chore. Once you get it right for a recording, you dan't really have to mess with it too much more.
H) Save tracks to hard drive.
I) Convert to MP3 or not. Requires another software package.
J) Buy CD. labels, cases and cards, a mere $2-3 per cd.
K) Burn to CD.
L) Type all the songs up and make a label.
M) Make a card for the front of the case.

Done! That doesn't take more than 2-4 hours per record!

OR. Hook boombox to computer, record entire record, burn to cd, flip and repeat. Yes, that's not too hard, but not really worth listening to.

In this particular case, you have a very small set of people who own the Tiki Gardens LP. Of those, a small set that is interested in sharing in any way. Of those, a small set that has the equipment to make a CD. Of those, a small set that will do it.

In the end, people are either going to pay for it or not. If no one buys, then there is something wrong in the equation. If they are all sold, so be it. The market will make the call.

My call, the price is a little high. I might buy, I might not. Probably not. Just keep searching the record bins and hope.

[ This Message was edited by: Swanky on 2002-09-16 13:40 ]

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation