FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Sabu's Spicy Coconut Chicken Skewers
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Sabu's Spicy Coconut Chicken Skewers
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Central Poet Laureate

Posted: 2004-07-31 11:51 am   Permalink

Since several people have been asking for this recipe, and since I've just finished making a huge batch for Doctor Z's party tonight, I guess it's about time I got around to posting it. Here is the secret recipe to:

1/2 cup apricot jam
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
1/2 cup canned coconut milk
1/4 cup fresh orange juice
2 tablespoons curry powder
1/4 heaping teaspoon cayenne pepper
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 cup shredded sweetened coconut
wooden skewers

Combine all ingredients, except chicken and coconut (and skewers of course), in a saucepan and heat while stirring until boiling. Reduce heat to medium/low and allow marinade to reduce somewhat, (about 15 minutes), stirring occasionally. Put chicken breasts in a pan and pour most of the marinade on top, saving a small portion in a container for later. Make sure both sides of the breasts are coated with the marinade and let pan sit in a refrigerator at least 2 hours (I leave mine overnight).

Toast the coconut on a baking sheet or shallow pan in a 350-degree oven, turning the coconut with a spatula periodically so that it is a light brown. (dark brown works too, so don't worry if it's overdone).

Grill chicken breasts until done but tender, brushing with the marinade in the pan. Slice breasts in thirds lengthwise. Skewer each strip on a wooden skewer and brush with the reserved marinade you had set-aside at the beginning. Roll in toasted coconut and serve on Ti Leaf. Makes 12 skewers.

You don't have to increase the marinade proportionately for larger quantities. For today's batch of 50 chicken breasts, I multiplied the above recipe by eight. I also used two 10 oz bags of shredded coconut.

Sabu

[ This Message was edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy on 2004-07-31 11:53 ]

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
docwoods
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-31 3:22 pm   Permalink

Sabu-sounds scrumptious!I'm going to make those soon-keep the recipes coming!

View Profile of docwoods Send a personal message to docwoods  Email docwoods     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Toa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-01 12:51 am   Permalink

Oh yeah these are going in the book!

View Profile of Tiki-Toa Send a personal message to Tiki-Toa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-01 11:59 am   Permalink

The best coconut chicken I have ever had in my entire life. It was nice meeting you there. thank you, thank you, thank you. Say can I do this merinade for shrimp????

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Central Poet Laureate

Posted: 2004-08-02 01:29 am   Permalink

Nice meeting you too, Hiltiki!

The marinade should work fine for shrimp, although I've never tried it. One other warning: due to the high content of curry in the sauce, make sure that you use ceramic, glass, or metal pans to store this in. You are certainly free to use plastic, (I do), but be sure it's a disposable plastic container, because the sauce will stain it yellow permanently. It also stains clothes, so be careful.

Sabu

[ This Message was edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy on 2004-08-02 01:33 ]

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Bird
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-02 10:28 am   Permalink

Sabu, that was great chicken & shrimp you made for Z's party, thanks for the recipe as well! 1/2 cup apricot jam, thats the flavor i couldnt quite pinpoint when tasting them this weekend.

Tbird.

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Bird on 2004-08-02 10:29 ]

View Profile of Tiki Bird Send a personal message to Tiki Bird  Email Tiki Bird     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dolphin Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-08-03 11:50 am   Permalink

Y'all, I've been waiting for this recipe for about 4 years.
Certainly worth the wait, and I definitely plan on trying it with seafood (so the good Doctor can have some). I also plan on bringing the chicken to family functions as well.

Thanks (finally!), Sabu!!!

P.S. Hey, now we just need the recipe for the shrimp. (If I remember correctly, that marinade is a bit simpler, but also exceptionally tasty!

View Profile of Dolphin Tiki Send a personal message to Dolphin Tiki  Email Dolphin Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-03 11:34 pm   Permalink

did someone say shrimp, what shrimp? Oops I must have missed it.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Shipwreckjoey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-03 11:51 pm   Permalink

Thanks Sabu. That chicken was da kine. I'm definately going to try out your recipe soon (as in like...this weekend!)

View Profile of Shipwreckjoey Send a personal message to Shipwreckjoey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2004-08-04 09:16 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-07-31 11:51, Sabu The Coconut Boy wrote:

"Spicy Coconut Chicken Skewer" - Is that what you kids are calling it these days?

(hey, is this little pun still working? If not, please let me know and I'll start doing the "That's what she said!" routine. Thank you in advance for your advice.)

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-05 10:58 am   Permalink

We'll be fixing up some of these for tomorrow's Tiki Time at the Lagoon Lounge(™AlnShellyProductions).

Mahalo for the recipe.

I'll bring something good in here for you to try as a offering to Mighty Sabu.

Aloha

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-07 12:16 am   Permalink

sssssaaaaaahbooooooooooooo.

I made everyone who complimented me on the chicken, chant that.

Pretty much everyone.

Awesome stuff.
No leftovers.

That and the Poisson Crue were huge hits. TC rules the kitchen.

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dogbytes
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2004-08-07 10:02 pm   Permalink

whoa ~ i made these terrific tidbits today ~ i took a shortcut, and skewered chicken tenders, and then marinated them overnight, and broiled them 7 mins on each side.. oh wow. ONOLICIOUS! my god, there were only 10 of us, but we finished off a Costco-sized bag of chicken tenders.

thanks for sharing the secret recipe!
elicia

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-08-09 03:53 am   Permalink

sounds yummY!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-09 1:21 pm   Permalink

Fantastic recipe Sabu!! THANK YOU!
That was heaven.
I made them yesterday for a mouthwatering group(including myself) Everyone was totally silent until they had finished eating!
"Can't talk...eating"

I've already been asked to do them again for the in-laws that arrive today!

Mucho Mahaloz,

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation