FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Sabu's Spicy Coconut Chicken Skewers
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Sabu's Spicy Coconut Chicken Skewers
bananabobs
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-04 11:01 pm   Permalink

I made these for 80+ people at a beach party, I used my 8 foot B-B-Q and had the grill full three times, I used banana leaves to serve them on. I have always loved coconut but toasting it is unbelieveable! The manager of Tropical Jams lives on my street, I barter with him for cases of apricot jam! Sabu, More please! No more cow bell, we want more recipes. Thanks again!

View Profile of bananabobs Send a personal message to bananabobs      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Coco Loco
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-01 8:08 pm   Permalink

I made this recipe for Mai Tai and in laws last week. Missing a few ingredients, I substituted with Apricot Pineapple jam and yellow mustard. Marinated them for only 15 minutes (we were hungry), and grilled the skewers on the stove top grill. They were still absolutely scrumptious. Bananabobs is right, the toasted coconut is amazing. Wow, great recipe. Thanks!!!!

View Profile of Coco Loco Send a personal message to Coco Loco      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-28 11:20 am   Permalink

While everyone is planning their long weekend, they might want to think about serving Sabu's Famous Spicy Coconut Chicken Skewers. Highly recommended!

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-28 6:29 pm   Permalink

You know, that's just exactly what I was thinking. Good call. Will do!

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-07 07:36 am   Permalink

Sabu, this recipe is on for my luau this month. I'll be serving 25-30 people, and I don't want to spend the whole time over the grill, so, can someone suggest an oven method for cooking? 15 minutes at 350 degrees? I dunno. I just want to work less and enjoy more. I am also wondering about keeping them warm after cooking, etc.

I can't wait to try this recipe. I have been waiting years!

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
coconut cups

Posted: 2006-07-08 2:52 pm   Permalink

These are AWESOME! We used unsweetened coconut instead. And I didn't have enough Dijon so we used some Ginger-Wasabi mustard, too. THE BEST!! Can't wait to make more!!

[ This Message was edited by: coconut cups 2006-07-08 14:53 ]

View Profile of coconut cups Send a personal message to coconut cups      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Woo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-07-09 3:14 pm   Permalink

Thank goodness for the chicken, otherwise I would of been drinking the sauce! good stuff! I've made it twice this month!

View Profile of Tiki Woo Send a personal message to Tiki Woo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kona Chris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-15 10:48 pm   Permalink

Ok, I joined in the fun, and made these Friday for my brother's (small) wedding reception, to be served as apps. Breast tenders were $1.77 a pound, so I marinated up 6 pounds of them, making a triple batch of the sauce. They went over quite well, but people didn't gorge themselves on them, since there was still steak coming for dinner I put the remainders in the freezer (after having more for lunch today) for another time.

Suffice it to say that these will be going in my standard recipe bag.

Thanks Sabu!

Chris

View Profile of Kona Chris Send a personal message to Kona Chris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Balls
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-07-17 08:08 am   Permalink

Awesome awesome awesome. And using the "pre-cut" breast tenders saves time and possibly fingers.

View Profile of Rum Balls Send a personal message to Rum Balls      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-05 1:23 pm   Permalink

I made about 40-50 of these for my luau and they were a huge hit! I just sent the recipe to one of the attendees! I screwed up the recipe a bit by uping tablespoons instead of teaspoons on the pepper, but we scrapped it off as best as possible before mixing and it was just fine. I also skewered the chicken before marinating it and cut the skewers in half to have one fat piece of chicken per skewer.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-29 2:22 pm   Permalink

I made about 30 of these last night and everyone fell on them as soon as they were ready. What a great party food. As if Sabu's recipe wasn't enough, I read this in the news today.

Curry may keep elderly minds sharp
Thu Oct 26, 12:10 PM ET
NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - A diet containing curry may help protect the aging brain, according a study of elderly Asians in which increased curry consumption was associated with better cognitive performance on standard tests.
Curcumin, found in the curry spice turmeric, possesses potent antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
It's known that long-term users of anti-inflammatory drugs have a reduced risk of developing Alzheimer's disease, although these agents can have harmful effects in the stomach, liver and kidney, limiting their use in the elderly.
Antioxidants, such as vitamin E, have been shown to protect neurons in lab experiments but have had limited success in alleviating cognitive decline in patients with mild-to-moderate dementia.
In their study, Dr. Tze-Pin Ng from National University of Singapore and colleagues compared scores on the Mini-Mental State Exam (MMSE) for three categories of regular curry consumption in 1,010 nondemented Asians who were between 60 and 93 years old in 2003.
Most of the study subjects consumed curry at least occasionally (once every 6 months), 43 percent ate curry at least often or very often (between monthly and daily) while 16 percent said they never or rarely ate curry.
After taking into account factors that could impact test results, they found that people who consumed curry "occasionally" and "often or very often" had significantly better MMSE scores than did those who "never or rarely" consumed curry.
"Even with the low and moderate levels of curry consumption reported by the respondents, better cognitive performance was observed," Ng and colleagues report.]
These results, they note, provide "the first epidemiologic evidence supporting a link between curry consumption and cognitive performance that has been suggested by a large volume of earlier experimental evidence."
Curry is used widely by people in India and "interestingly," the prevalence of Alzheimer's disease among India's elderly ranks is fourfold less than that seen in the United States.
"In view of its efficacy and remarkably low toxicity," curry shows promise for the prevention of Alzheimer's disease, the researchers conclude.
SOURCE: American Journal of Epidemiology, November 1, 2006.

Now if they can only come out with a study on rum.....

View Profile of Ojaitimo Send a personal message to Ojaitimo  Email Ojaitimo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-19 11:12 am   Permalink

Sabu,

Since October I have been asked to make these multiple times I think its been 5 times now that I have made them for family and friends and everyone wants the recipe including Mario the chef at the Warehouse who wants to offer it there.
I told him that it was your recipe and it was up to you and that if you OK'd it,they should call it Sabu's secret chicken. With your approval I'll give him the recipe. Spice Island has a new spicy curry powder that I use and it was noticeably different from two other curry powders I used before.
Just writing about them makes me want to make them tonight even though it snowed here this week. Guess I could try stovetop grilling. Those of you that have not had Sabu chicken don't know what you are missing.
Thanks again for the best party food ever.

Ojaitimo

Life is a state of mind

[ This Message was edited by: Ojaitimo 2007-01-19 11:14 ]

View Profile of Ojaitimo Send a personal message to Ojaitimo  Email Ojaitimo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigkahuna627
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-10-26 1:09 pm   Permalink

I made this last night, it was so good I ate the leftovers for breakfast.

View Profile of bigkahuna627 Send a personal message to bigkahuna627  Email bigkahuna627 Goto the website of bigkahuna627     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-27 12:00 pm   Permalink

Sabu's Spicy Coconuts

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-30 10:14 pm   Permalink

This recipe also works with frog legs.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation