FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Sabu's Spicy Coconut Chicken Skewers
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Sabu's Spicy Coconut Chicken Skewers
Howland
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-09 8:22 pm   Permalink

BAM! Another satisfied customer at Sabu's House of Chicken! Marinated it for 6 hours, grilled, chilled, ate it and the tastebuds were thrilled.

I 've been scouring the recipes lately trying to find a few nice bites for an upcoming C'masparty/Luau. This one made it to the next round, easily.

I had to do a few things slightly different. Otherwise, it was created straight from the typings of Sabu.:

No apricot jam-had to buy Apricot Preserves. Just had to mash out the big, pulpy apricot pieces.
Already had LITE coconut milk so I used it.
I used boneless, skinless chicken thighs--they're super cheap--easier to feed the masses plus they're my fav because they're much more tender/juicy/flavorful than white meat. They soak up the marinade like a sponge for xtra flava! And you'd really have to screw up bad to overcook/dry out a thigh.

Hope these pics do the recipe justice (can't imagine that, though):

[ This Message was edited by: howland 2007-11-09 20:33 ]

View Profile of Howland Send a personal message to Howland  Email Howland     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bananabobs
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-12 9:01 pm   Permalink

I just have to bump this post again, in the event a nubie has not seen or tasted heaven. I am making these for Fathers Day for my family and on the 20th, I am cooking for 60 kids at a graduation luau for my church.
One caution, the jam and coconut milk has sugar in it and it will burn like a mother if you have your fire too hot.
Sabu, you have been quiet lately on TC, hope all is well and again we raise a tall rum drink to the Master of the Grill!

View Profile of bananabobs Send a personal message to bananabobs      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SumiSweets

Posted: 2008-06-14 5:48 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-06-12 21:01, bananabobs wrote:
I just have to bump this post again, in the event a nubie has not seen or tasted heaven. . .

I am one, so thank you to banana for bumpin'. This is definitely on my menu!

View Profile of SumiSweets Send a personal message to SumiSweets      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bananabobs
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-15 7:56 pm   Permalink

Here is my lovely daughter Brook displaying a plater or Spicy Chicken Skewers in the Bananbobs yard.

It was a Tiki Fathers Day indeed!

View Profile of bananabobs Send a personal message to bananabobs      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-15 9:23 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-06-12 21:01, bananabobs wrote:

Sabu, you have been quiet lately on TC, hope all is well and again we raise a tall rum drink to the Master of the Grill!

Yes Sabu, hope everything is OK, I raise my Mai Tai ro the master of the grill who has made many people happy at my place after having Sabu's Secret Chicken.
Thanks for it not being secret anymore. Now how about sharing that shrimp recipe that everyones raves about?

Bannanabob, happy fathers day and thanks for the great pictures!:)

View Profile of Ojaitimo Send a personal message to Ojaitimo  Email Ojaitimo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KikiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-21 10:01 pm   Permalink

So did anyone try this with shrimp or fish instead of chicken, and did it work???

View Profile of KikiTiki Send a personal message to KikiTiki  Goto the website of KikiTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GentleHangman
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-06-22 07:26 am   Permalink

No, but I have made it substituting Passion fruit Jam (Goya) for the Apricot jam with excellent results.

GENT

View Profile of GentleHangman Send a personal message to GentleHangman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Koitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-27 4:11 pm   Permalink

What type of curry powder is everyone using for this? I bought McCormick's curry powder which is yellowish Indian type, but hubby wonders if the red Thai type curry might be better.

View Profile of Koitiki Send a personal message to Koitiki  Email Koitiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Central Poet Laureate

Posted: 2008-07-28 9:19 pm   Permalink

The plain-old yellow Curry Powder like McCormick's is what I use and it works great. Good luck, and enjoy!

Sabu

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Koitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-31 2:13 pm   Permalink

Thanks Sabu! We've actually tried both now. Hubby likes the red better and I think they're both good. Can't wait to see how the Texas ohana likes them this weekend.

View Profile of Koitiki Send a personal message to Koitiki  Email Koitiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Koitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-06 8:21 pm   Permalink

Here's another presentation idea, and of course they were a hit!

captnkirk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-03 03:55 am   Permalink

I just got back from a big party where I made some of Sabu's chicken skewers.
I used the coarse ground country style Dijon mustard and I cut the chicken into chunks marinated it for two days and then skewered it and grilled it.

They turned out great and they were the hit of the party.

Yummy!

[ This Message was edited by: captnkirk 2008-09-03 03:56 ]

View Profile of captnkirk Send a personal message to captnkirk  Goto the website of captnkirk     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Coco Joe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-17 9:50 pm   Permalink

Amazing stuff! Everyone has to try this

View Profile of Coco Joe Send a personal message to Coco Joe  Email Coco Joe Goto the website of Coco Joe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Kupcake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-09 11:07 am   Permalink

I tired these a while back for our annual summer tiki party and they were wonderful. I did make a couple adjustments though. When I went to buy the apricot jam they had apricot pineapple right next to it. I thought the apricot pineapple would be a nice switch since pineapples are tropical and all. Also, instead of chicken breast I used tenderloins. That way I didn't have to cut them and weaved them in and out on the skewer giving in a very nice presentation that many commented on. Everyone loved them and I gave out the recipe to more than one person. One of the women served them at a dinner party she had the following week and they were a big hit there, as well. I didn't do them on the grill, but instead cooked them under the broiler with foil over them to prevent burning. I wanted to be able to put out my food and enjoy the party. I also made a dipping sauce to go with them. I mixed sour cream, some of the leftover coconut milk, and some of the left over shredded sweetened coconut, not toasted. No exact measurements. Just mixed them up until the coconut flavor really popped and it was thick enough to stay on the chicken without dripping all over the place. YUM!

View Profile of Tiki Kupcake Send a personal message to Tiki Kupcake  Goto the website of Tiki Kupcake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-04-08 6:16 pm   Permalink

*BUMP*

It's Springtime on the Lanai...

...time to try out Master Sabu's chicken recipe. Got some marinating in the fridge right now - it looks & smells great, can't wait to BBQ it tomorrow!

You hate to mess with perfection, but I think some of you are on the right track trying out other jams/preserves. I'm thinkin' Mango, Passion fruit, Ginger-Orange, Lime Marmalade, Guava Paste, Banana Jam(?!, OK maybe not banana), hmmmm

I had enough Coconut milk and Apricot jam left to make another batch. I mixed up just the marinade (no chicken) and froze it, we'll see how that works out

EDIT - Oh man, that recipe is all kinds of awesome! We were all over it like a hobo on a ham sandwich! Thank you Sabu! I'm allergic to shrimp so I won't try that, but it would be great with pork. It would also be good with some pineapple chunks added to the skewers

I'm gonna sit right here, I'm gonna watch the sun
Disappear into the ocean, it's been years since I smelled this salty sea.

[ This Message was edited by: MadDogMike 2009-04-09 19:26 ]

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation