FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Yet Still More Zombified Things... (Trader Vic Mask page 2)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Yet Still More Zombified Things... (Trader Vic Mask page 2)
Feelin' Zombified
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-31 4:05 pm   Permalink

It's about time I posted something in this section. So without further Aku... (ah, I crack myself up)...

Here's my first lil' carving post, let's just call him a practice run as I stayed close to the surface of the wood and didn't flesh it out as much as I could have. In retrospect, I also would have chosen a different stain. critisism welcome.

2ft tall, pine

-Z

[ This Message was edited by: Feelin' Zombified 2007-03-06 19:00 ]

[ This Message was edited by: feelin' zombified 2007-03-07 06:22 ]

View Profile of Feelin' Zombified Send a personal message to Feelin' Zombified  Email Feelin' Zombified     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-31 4:17 pm   Permalink

I'll be the first to say that you've been hiding your stuff for too long. It looks GREAT!
Yes, I would have gone with deeper cuts too, but the cuts you made are very precise, detailed and equal. Not something to scoff at.
I like the stain you chose, it adds character to the piece.
Post more!

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FLOUNDERart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-31 5:57 pm   Permalink

That's an excellent first tiki. You should add it to the Marquesas thread.

[ This Message was edited by: FLOUNDERart on 2004-07-31 17:59 ]

View Profile of FLOUNDERart Send a personal message to FLOUNDERart  Email FLOUNDERart Goto the website of FLOUNDERart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Filippi
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-07-31 10:50 pm   Permalink

Nice work Zombi!!
As a new carver myself, I know how it feels to throw that first creation "out to the wolves" so to speak. But I'd say yours looks great, I like the precision of your shapes as well as the cleanliness of the craft. I'd agree about the stain as I have a problem with the color of my first stain too. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the finishing color might be the toughest thing to plan for ahead of time. I'm learning (the long way) how different woods take differently to stains and finishes.
Keep 'em coming!

View Profile of Tiki Filippi Send a personal message to Tiki Filippi  Goto the website of Tiki Filippi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sam Gambino
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-01 12:16 am   Permalink

Great work from a fellow suburban Detroiter- It reminds me of Martin Denny's tiki drum from the group shot of the band that's on the back of "The Best of Martin Denny" LP. Very nice!

www.samgambino.com

View Profile of Sam Gambino Send a personal message to Sam Gambino  Email Sam Gambino Goto the website of Sam Gambino     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-01 01:25 am   Permalink

Beauty! As mentioned, great cuts! Go deep and you got it! I like that color stain... I use it often.
Have you coated it with anything? (clear Poly?)
You'll find that the color and contrast will change.

Another hint... with shallow cuts you'll notice that the surface wood will stain different than deeper wood. I can see that on your picture and am familier with this as 80% of the wood I carve is pine. Knots will stain differrent too. Make sure you have a even sand all over before you stain for uniformity of stain color. And I've found the more you sand the better grain you bring out. I've gotten some beautiful grain pattern out of pine, even more so when burned lightly with a torch. Try to stain soon after sanding... after a day I've noticed the sanded wood start to darken...

[ This Message was edited by: Lake Surfer on 2004-08-01 01:32 ]

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bananabobs
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-01 12:38 pm   Permalink

Feelin' Zombified, thats a great start, heck Id be happy to have results like that on the 30th carving!
Here is a question that I wanted to ask for a while and since you are just starting out, you may be closer to the "creative start" How did you come up with your design and how did you plan your first few cuts? Those seem to be my biggest hurdles, I have palm logs clean ready to go, but the first few cuts are the hardest. I have tried to "let the wood talk to me" but these logs just mumble, I design and build houses and other structures and have plenty of "Juice" but am missing it here. I thought that it means I am not to carve but I keep finding myself getting logs, cleaning them up and awaking from a rum induced fog holding chisels...should I get professional help or are others with me?

View Profile of bananabobs Send a personal message to bananabobs      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-01 6:35 pm   Permalink

Really looks good FZ. The stain comes out blotchy like that to a lot of us. That is something that will happen to you on certain pieces forever. keep it up and Keep Crackin' us up.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-01 7:44 pm   Permalink

FZ,

Nice work! I am working on my first palm carving right now, & I've been wondering about how I should stain the tiki. I noticed that different areas on the fan palm are differently colored - yellow/grey/tan at surface, whiter below, then slightly reddish about a half inch down.

Oh, well - there's one way to find out! I must say, I've been carving that AAC material, and actual wood is quite a bit harder to carve.

Keep on carvin' and keep on postin' my friend! Great work!

Aaron

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mattfink
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-02 07:04 am   Permalink

Nice work!! Finally a carver in my own back yard! Dig deep with those chisels!

Matt

View Profile of mattfink Send a personal message to mattfink  Email mattfink Goto the website of mattfink     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-02 1:17 pm   Permalink

A sweet starter for sure! I just finished my first 2 pieces this weekend and will start a thread later with some pics. I like your design a lot and I agree with you that carving deeper next time will be better. I had the same experience with mine. Keep going cause you seem to have the talent.

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Feelin' Zombified
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-02 8:02 pm   Permalink

Thanks everyone for your kind words and lack of insults

If I can ever find more wood, I'll keep the woodchips flying... seriously, you'd think in the wild kingdom that is Michigan, wood would grow on trees, but I've tried every lumber place, big & small, been refered to sawmills that never answer the phone or have an address, and have had no luck with tree trimmer co's. I just so happened to get that piece from my inlaws (a 15 foot tree and only a 2ft section that was straight)

Quote:

On 2004-08-01 12:38, bananabobs wrote:
How did you come up with your design and how did you plan your first few cuts?

As far as design, I flipped thru BOT several times and studied our own BK's carvings (which I think are amazing). I sketched a design on a huge piece of tracing paper, deconstructed the sketch down to its simplist elements with a black Sharpie, and transfered the image to the log the slowest and most agonizing way I could think of... pin holes in the paper every cm or so and retraced with the Sharpie, bleeding thru to the wood. Then just connect the dots on the wood:

As far as the first cut, pick a spot, take a deep breath and hope for the best.

-Z

Thank God The Tiki Bar Is Open
Thank God The Tiki Torch Still Shines...

View Profile of Feelin' Zombified Send a personal message to Feelin' Zombified  Email Feelin' Zombified     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Feelin' Zombified
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-22 6:19 pm   Permalink

What do you do when you are given 4 pieces of bamboo, each approx. 1 foot long, finished, and the ends are plugged because they came from a window hardware display?

Tune in this weekend and find out

-Z

(I had intended to post the final pics today, but the camera is elsewhere... OK, another hint: 4ft and 4 1/2ft poles were used also)

[ This Message was edited by: Feelin' Zombified 2005-09-22 18:21 ]

kirby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-22 6:21 pm   Permalink

Id probly carv sumthin in them and make them into drink resepticles... cant wait what your gonna doo with um...

Kirby's Island.com****Facebook**

View Profile of kirby Send a personal message to kirby  Email kirby Goto the website of kirby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-22 6:52 pm   Permalink

Good work, Zombie..that's a great first tiki. Do you have a deep gouge (curved chisel) to work with? If you'll be at Hukilau I'll show you some cool Marquesan tricks...just oddball digs. Keep it up..

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation