FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Yet Still More Zombified Things... (Trader Vic Mask page 2)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Yet Still More Zombified Things... (Trader Vic Mask page 2)
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-23 11:33 am   Permalink

Yeah, I can't wait to see what you will do with the bamboo....

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Feelin' Zombified
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-23 8:52 pm   Permalink

OK,

so as I was saying, I had these 4 pieces of bamboo that were about 1 foot each, plus a 4ft and a 4 1/2 foot pc.

and after thinking about a table or a bar back or other various uses, I thought I'd build a place for my stuff. Mrs. Zombified didn't appreciate my mugs taking over her Wedgwood collection shelves, so I thought I'd make a proper place. A little love and affection for my mug collection

First I glued some tight weave lauhala to the MDF, both of which were cut to size...

Next, I glued a piece of fabric to the backing board (also MDF) excuse the mess in the basement

Then, using the idea from the PAD book series, I used 3/8th inch threaded rod through the bottom shelf and began building upward.

Hansel the UberSchnauzer made sure everything was level... (for precise German engineering)

worked my way up to the top

and then started on the detail work. This is the wide seagrass braid from Oceanic Arts, used for the face edge.

Jute wrapped around the bamboo where it meets the lauhala

and,

the finished product...

well, that's it.

Now that it's finished I can finally post something in the "Show me your mugs" thread. Until then, here's a sneak preview of it in action

Lastly, I could really use 2 more. I'll still have to use part of my wife's space. which is fine with me because since I have no official tiki room in the house, this shelf has to stay in a dark, dank corner of the basement.

The End.

-Z

[ This Message was edited by: Feelin' Zombified 2005-09-23 20:55 ]

View Profile of Feelin' Zombified Send a personal message to Feelin' Zombified  Email Feelin' Zombified     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DawnTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-23 9:40 pm   Permalink

You've been holding out on Tiki Central FZ! Very nice! If you don't have room for it, you can always store it at Hulaville, really it would be totally ok I love the fabric on the back, can you reveal your source or is it a secret? I have a shelf kind of like it but smaller, made using the instructions from the book of PAD. Sadly most of my bamboo pieces have begun to split. I bet you wrapping the ends might keep it from splitting and it looks bitchen to boot! Thanks for sharing! ...yea, I said bitchen to boot...

[ This Message was edited by: DawnTiki 2005-09-23 21:47 ]

View Profile of DawnTiki Send a personal message to DawnTiki  Email DawnTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-09-24 07:56 am   Permalink

YEEOOWW! that's cool. Very nicely done shelf, I'm sure your mugs are happy that they have a place they can call home. I especially like the addtion of the jute and sea grass braid. Now, to get it out of the basement....or build a tiki bar around it!

NIce job!

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-24 08:22 am   Permalink

feelin' bamboozled!

excellent work, my friend ~

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
badmojo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-24 08:23 am   Permalink

Great Job FZ! Nice to see the finished project. Gotta love that fine German engineering.

View Profile of badmojo Send a personal message to badmojo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-24 08:48 am   Permalink

That looks soooo nice! It looks easy to do too, so you may see something like it in my basement before to long. Thanks for sharing.

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Feelin' Zombified
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-24 12:27 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the kind words everyone. It was rather easy... the least fun and most tedious part is cutting out the lauhala (11 pieces) to match the shelf size and shape. From my experience, I'd say it's better for the matting to stop short in the back (by 1/16 of an inch or so) and overhang in the front by a smidge; everything fit better on shelves that were glued that way.

Oh yeah, I used 3M Super 77 on the matting and the fabric, which so far is holding up well.

Dawn, the fabric is from
Hawaiian Fabric in the Barkcloth section, but I see that they only have it in blue right now. So I'm not sure if it's out of stock or discontinued. Also, I should mention that the bulk of the weight of each shelf is not on the bamboo, it's on washers & nuts that were about flush with the top of the bamboo rods... so hopefully there won't be any splitting or crushing.

-Z

[ This Message was edited by: Feelin' Zombified 2005-09-24 13:09 ]

View Profile of Feelin' Zombified Send a personal message to Feelin' Zombified  Email Feelin' Zombified     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-24 6:13 pm   Permalink

Man thats a great shelf . Thanks for posting great step by step photo's.

View Profile of rodeotiki Send a personal message to rodeotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-25 07:50 am   Permalink

Sweet set of shelves. Real nice execution

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Davez_tikiz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-26 9:48 pm   Permalink

Wow! I love that shelf! Gives me some great ideas!

View Profile of Davez_tikiz Send a personal message to Davez_tikiz  Email Davez_tikiz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-27 05:01 am   Permalink

You must be feeling pretty great instead of Zombified after such a Nice creation. Thanks for the step by step shots showing us how we can make our very own FZ Shelf. Nice job and it's the little details that set it off. Well Done!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Feelin' Zombified
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-27 7:45 pm   Permalink

Thanks again for the kind comments. My only regret with it is now that it's finished I have to make a (very non-Tiki) headboard for the bedroom... I'd much rather have another bamboo related project. Maybe if I find a Ren Clark Severed Head at the Salvation Army I could afford to build a matching bar

-Z

Feelin' Zombified
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-06 6:29 pm   Permalink

alright...

more crap I made...

the end

Thank God The Tiki Bar Is Open
Thank God The Tiki Torch Still Shines...

flynny
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-06 11:29 pm   Permalink

That shelf system looks perfect for the display, very creative, nice one.
Regards
Flynny

View Profile of flynny Send a personal message to flynny  Email flynny     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation