FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Tikis #2 & #3 Carved from AAC Block
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Tikis #2 & #3 Carved from AAC Block
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-01 6:06 pm   Permalink

Here they are...all critique appreciated.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

[ This Message was edited by: Aaron on 2004-08-01 18:08 ]

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-01 6:21 pm   Permalink

LOOK At that detail, Aaron you are learning how to do this way fast. keep up the good work.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TNTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-01 7:04 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 16:02 ]

View Profile of TNTiki Send a personal message to TNTiki  Email TNTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Filippi
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-08-01 7:13 pm   Permalink

Aaron, incredible work!! I can only hope to get that kind of detail by my second and third try.
I love the eyes on the one with the teeth, totally wicked.

What is that you're carving into? How did you get the surface so smooth? I'm liking the look of that stuff, was it easy to find? And what kind of chisels (if any) did you use there?
Sorry for all the questions.

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Filippi on 2004-08-01 19:15 ]

View Profile of Tiki Filippi Send a personal message to Tiki Filippi  Goto the website of Tiki Filippi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-01 7:14 pm   Permalink

Those are outstanding!

Can that AAC stuff be painted with acceptable results?

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Toa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-01 7:20 pm   Permalink

Great stuff man, please keep them coming as you can.

View Profile of Tiki-Toa Send a personal message to Tiki-Toa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bamboo Dude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-01 7:57 pm   Permalink

Alright Aaron...you've gone and drawn a line in the sand...I have no excuses ('cept finding the time) 'cause I've got the blocks, and you know it. You're really good...DAMN YOU!!!

View Profile of Bamboo Dude Send a personal message to Bamboo Dude      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-01 8:11 pm   Permalink

Thank you, thank you THANK YOU!!! This place is so supportive, its really pumping up the creative juices!

Benzart: Thanks - I actually did these some time ago, I just couldn't find the pictures. I trying to get the hang of carving fan palms these days.

TNTiki: They don't weigh a lot, probably about 5 lbs.

Tiki Filipi: a) This is Autoclaved Aerated Concrete (AAC). b) It sands up real nice. c) No, I had to drive out to Phoenix, AZ (from California) to get it. There's not a lot of it made on the west coast. But you can probably get it a lot easier. And it's CHEAP - about $3.00 to $3.50 a block. Check out this post - it will tell you everything you want to know abot the material (literally):
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=10055&forum=7&6 d) You can use everything that you use to carve wood (including a regular wood saw), but beware - it will dull up your tools.

Kono: I'd stick with the natural look, but it's easy to check out stains and paint on the waste pieces. I tried a little redwood stain on a piece and it looked like sh*t (excuse the digitally altered expletive). It really looked like you used a magic marker on a piece of styrofoam. This stuff comes in grey, white, or tan, depending on the factory where it's made.

Tiki-Toa: Thanks, Man!

Bamboo Dude: HA HA - you better get started! I'll call you later!

Really folks, thanks for all of the support!

-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Octane
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-01 8:40 pm   Permalink

excellent work, really like that second guy with the teeth. clean crisp cut, very nice.

View Profile of Octane Send a personal message to Octane      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TNTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-01 10:00 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 16:03 ]

View Profile of TNTiki Send a personal message to TNTiki  Email TNTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-01 11:45 pm   Permalink

TNTiki,

You're right, they're probably too heavy to ship - but there's still hope. I'm a west coast guy, and not very good at geography. I've been to Nashville and Memphis, but I'm not sure where K-Town is. Anyway, if you checked out the link that I made for Tiki Filipi, you'll see that there is a big Mfr. of AAC in Louisville, Kentucky:

Eckart America, L.P.
4101 Camp Ground Road
Louisville, Kentucky 40211
Phone: (502) 775-4243
Fax: (502)-775-4249

Is this too far for a Saturday drive? You may want to call them & find out if their product is sold locally in your area. You may be able to just pick some up at a builder's supply house of do-it-yourself store.

I bought mine at E-Crete in Arizona, and had to buy a whole pallete of the stuff. They just don't sell it locally in California (because of our shaky ground, the Bldg Codes won't allow it) Still, the whole batch cost about $140 for 40 or so blocks ($3.50 a block), and I split them with a friend. The guys at the factory were pretty stoked to find out that we were using this for sculpture, because it's pretty mundane stuff - like CMU blocks used for building walls.

Maybe you could go in on a pallette with other TC users in your area? It never hurts to ask.

Also, I found this posting for a free sample of the blocks at sculptor.org
http://www.sculptor.org/Stone/Marble/CarvingStonesOffered.htm

The ad says:

"Ohio: Duffy Building Systems: Autoclaved, aerated concrete. A lightweight concrete that can be sculpted like basswood, but is durable like normal concrete when coated with proper sealants. One-fifth the weight of regular concrete, 600 to 700 psi compressive strength. Ship anywhere in the US. Call for free sample. Contact: Don Duffy at bvw@greenapple.com or 614-419-4563 in Columbus, Ohio USA."

I emailed this guy the other day, and haven't heard back yet, but it's worth a try.

I hope you find a way to get some of this material, it really carves up nice! Good luck!

Aaron

-Pablo Picasso

TNTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-02 03:11 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 16:03 ]

Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-02 08:43 am   Permalink

TNTiki,

Maybe you should post that in the "My First Tiki" section!

Really, you should try it, though. It's pretty hard to screw up primitive art - it just looks more primitive.

virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-02 11:13 am   Permalink

That Moai looks so futuristic...is it a Moai from outer space ??

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-02 1:25 pm   Permalink

Yes, as a matter of fact, it is. How did you know?

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation