[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Say goodbye to the Kona Lanes In OC
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page ) Remove Highlighting
Say goodbye to the Kona Lanes In OC
Cherry Capri
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-09-06 4:30 pm   Permalink

I heard it was announced in the OC Weekly that the Kona Lanes Bowl in Costa Mesa will be demolished. The fabulous tiki lettered marquee is still intact (rare for a bowling aley these days) and the interior is relatively original.

A picture is at the bottom of this page.
http://www.roadsidepeek.com/googie/ocgoogie/

[ This Message was edited by: Cherry Capri on 2002-09-06 16:30 ]

View Profile of Cherry Capri Send a personal message to Cherry Capri  Goto the website of Cherry Capri     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2002-09-06 4:35 pm   Permalink

What a Shame! They used to have some good punk gigs there. Oh well, I'll file it away with the Cuckoo's Nest and the Golden Bear.

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2002-09-06 5:03 pm   Permalink

Any knowing of when they're tearing it down, and is it now closed?

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SugarCaddyDaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-09-06 10:42 pm   Permalink

Geeeez. Don't remind me...Yes, the land has been purchased. Closure date is not definite, but it is suppose to be Spring of 2003. The whole building will be demolished, sign and all....to make room for Coles Department Store. UGGGHH! I grew up one mile from Kona Lanes up until 9 years ago. I had my suspicions this past year since no actual promotions for Kona Lanes has been done, and no upkeep such as new plants, painting of the outside, etc. had been done. I'm sure the owners of the land were looking at the dollar value of the land rather than preserving the architecture. Hopefully, it won't end up like the Bel Congo Motel across from Kona Lanes. Anyone remember that place? It's STILL just empty land since being demolished YEARS ago! Anyone that has any extra "souvenirs" from the Bel Congo, please email me! In the meantime, I'm going to throw a few strikes down the lanes at Kona!

SugarCaddyDaddy

View Profile of SugarCaddyDaddy Send a personal message to SugarCaddyDaddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ooga

Posted: 2002-09-07 11:18 am   Permalink

what a bummer-

we are rapidly losing all of our googie architecture here in America

"Sometimes you just dont know what you've got until its GONE-

-promise me you'll never go bungeejumping in Mexico.." -The Cable Guy

View Profile of ooga Send a personal message to ooga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DawnTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-09-07 6:53 pm   Permalink

NOoooooooooo! I used to go there all the time to get 25 cent Frogurts. Once upon a Tikitime!

View Profile of DawnTiki Send a personal message to DawnTiki  Email DawnTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2002-09-09 09:28 am   Permalink

I remember hurling in the parking lot of the Kona Lanes after doing shots of vodka chased with Yohoo after some non-descript punk gig long ago.

I either wish I was 20 again or am god damn glad I'm not 20 any more!

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SugarCaddyDaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-09-12 10:33 pm   Permalink

Well, the inevitable will happen, BUT maybe a good thing for local carvers could happen...Kona Lanes has quite a bit of palm trees on the lot which have grown quite large, so maybe they can secure some of the trees for carving tikis when the new land owners have them cut down? If so, will those lucky carvers remember me when they get their finished tikis carved? (Hope so!).

SugarCaddyDaddy

[ This Message was edited by: sugarcaddydaddy on 2002-09-12 22:34 ]

View Profile of SugarCaddyDaddy Send a personal message to SugarCaddyDaddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thebaxdog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-09-12 10:51 pm   Permalink

Maybe we should have one last TIKI bowling night at Kona and have a moment of silence between frames. But don't step in Bongs barf on the way in.
Way back when, I used to get served there all the time by the lady with the big big red hair. Anybody remember her, now those were the days.
OK who wants to bowl and when?

Baxdog

[ This Message was edited by: thebaxdog on 2002-09-12 22:52 ]

View Profile of thebaxdog Send a personal message to thebaxdog  Email thebaxdog Goto the website of thebaxdog     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DawnTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-09-13 12:15 am   Permalink

I thought ALL the women who worked there (way back when) had BIG BIG RED HAIR?!?!

[ This Message was edited by: DawnTiki on 2002-09-13 00:18 ]

View Profile of DawnTiki Send a personal message to DawnTiki  Email DawnTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitony
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2002-09-13 01:53 am   Permalink

anyone know who can save this beautiful sign from destrucion?... I e-mailed MONA ( Museum Of Neon Art ) to have them save it... anyone else with better ideas?

View Profile of tikitony Send a personal message to tikitony  Email tikitony Goto the website of tikitony     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
floratina
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-09-13 11:03 am   Permalink

Bowling sounds good. How about the 21st?

View Profile of floratina Send a personal message to floratina  Email floratina     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ragnar

Posted: 2002-09-13 1:47 pm   Permalink

I've shot pictures of the place for reference in the past and I'm glad I did. the shots I have of the now gone Mesa are pretty poor. I regret not getting better ones. I guess I better get over to The Port on PCH and get some of that soon as well.

r

Costa Mesa

View Profile of ragnar Send a personal message to ragnar  Goto the website of ragnar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2002-09-13 3:24 pm   Permalink

I sent email to the American Sign Museum notifying them as well.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2002-09-13 5:12 pm   Permalink

Please tell us more about The Port on PCH.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation