Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki Syd Mead's "Projections" book on ebay
Syd Mead's "Projections" book on ebay
Tiki-bot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-02 01:44 am   Permalink

This is not my auction - if I owned this book I would never sell it. For those that don't know, these US Steel books (the other is "Concepts") were commissioned by US Steel in the early 60s to showcase how great steel was and how it could be used in all our hover cars and streamlined tractors of the future.

The great designer/illustrator/futurist Syd Mead was fresh out of school when he produced the artwork for these. My understanding is that only a small number were ever printed and were intended for USS shareholders. They are extremely rare and don't often appear on ebay.

The "Concepts" book just appeared on ebay last week and did not sell with an opening bid of $250. This one is only slightly more reasonably priced at $239. I only wish I could afford them. Maybe one of you can.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=29223&item=6915707368&rd=1

View Profile of Tiki-bot Send a personal message to Tiki-bot  Email Tiki-bot     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Feelin' Zombified
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-02 07:37 am   Permalink

Dang, my wife (industrial designer & Mead fanatic) has a birthday in a week. Too much coin for me though.

-Z

Thank God The Tiki Bar Is Open
Thank God The Tiki Torch Still Shines...

View Profile of Feelin' Zombified Send a personal message to Feelin' Zombified  Email Feelin' Zombified     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Central Poet Laureate

Posted: 2004-08-03 3:30 pm   Permalink

Tiki-Bot,

This issue of Trailer Life is also up on E-bay right now. Thought you might be interested. Similar artist?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=126&item=2260125240&rd=1

Sabu

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-03 3:48 pm   Permalink

Small world Sabu.
I subscribe to White Trash Trailer Life.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-bot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-03 3:54 pm   Permalink

Sure looks like his stuff. I've never seen this particular image, but he did hundreds of editorial illustrations in the 60s, so it seems likely.

The vehicle design is very similar to a luxury van he did for Playboy magazine in the 70s. I tried to find the image online, but no luck. Here's one with his signature style and color pallette from around the same time:

View Profile of Tiki-bot Send a personal message to Tiki-bot  Email Tiki-bot     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-05 12:20 pm   Permalink

related way cool website:

http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/news_events/exhibits/futuristics/index.html

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2004-08-10 12:29 am   Permalink

This might be the van you referred to, Bot.

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-bot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-10 02:02 am   Permalink

That's the one!

JD: I saw that show and there's some great stuff there. Lots of it has already been in print, but there were a few I hadn't seen, like the ground effects vehicles:

Zaz!

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki-bot on 2004-08-10 02:09 ]

Hot Lava
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-10 04:55 am   Permalink

It's the El Camino of the future!

View Profile of Hot Lava Send a personal message to Hot Lava  Email Hot Lava     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation