FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Kahaka's Tapa Tiki Lamps- Some of the Lamps I'll Have at Tiki Oasis
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 Next Page )
Kahaka's Tapa Tiki Lamps- Some of the Lamps I'll Have at Tiki Oasis
Polynesiac
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2012-04-29 8:23 pm   Permalink

The master is back at work!!!! The new lamps look awesome and challenging!!! Nice work
I hear you about having ample space to work and be organized. You going to tiki out your new garage workspace? I can only imagine how cool it will look with all of you lamp "stock" hanging from the ceiling!

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KAHAKA
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-30 3:04 pm   Permalink

Thanks Murphdog! Hope you're still enjoying your lamps.

Polynesiac... Thanks dude! I'd totally like to tiki it out at some point. I've got a few tiki knick knacks here and there (the painting in the 2nd pic is one of Little Lost Tiki's), and have been hanging the new lamps for the order I'm working on as I go. I look forward to working out there when I get the time!

Custom Tapa Swag Lamps and Sconces Built By Kahaka

View Profile of KAHAKA Send a personal message to KAHAKA  Email KAHAKA Goto the website of KAHAKA     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2012-05-02 8:00 pm   Permalink

Nice job on this one!!
Love how you used the rattan.
The good thing about rattan is it's lite, cheap and when tied
together very strong.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KAHAKA
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-05 09:53 am   Permalink

Ya Skip, I was surprised at how sturdy the ring was when I was done.

Time to get a hot tub to soak bigger pieces. Ha!

View Profile of KAHAKA Send a personal message to KAHAKA  Email KAHAKA Goto the website of KAHAKA     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Greg_D_R
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-06-19 3:19 pm   Permalink

Holy crow, man! Your lamps are beautiful. Do you get tapa that's made to be backlit, or does it just work as is? I don't know anything about the process of making real tapa, but I love the way it looks.

View Profile of Greg_D_R Send a personal message to Greg_D_R      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KAHAKA
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-24 6:19 pm   Permalink

Hi Greg... I like the float lamps you're doing. They turned out great!

The tapa I use isn't backed. I spray glue it to a fiberglass material called synskin. Here's a pic of a lamp currently in progress... the white circles you see are the syskin material, which I'll be resinning sea glass to.

Hope that helps!

[ This Message was edited by: KAHAKA 2012-06-24 18:19 ]

KAHAKA
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-02 8:02 pm   Permalink

Aloha Folks...

Here are some pics of my summer time lamping this far. The top 2 pics are 6 that I've completed for an order.

I've been meaning to use this woven flat piece for a while. I dig the way it looks...

Couple misc. lamps I've made recently.

Our chickens! It's been fun to have our chickens run around outside of the coop during summer vacation. They came inside the
garage while I was working today to hang out. I'm gonna train 'em to make tapa soon.

Cheers!
Woody

[ This Message was edited by: KAHAKA 2012-07-02 22:55 ]

clintiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-07-03 7:47 pm   Permalink

Lovin' those lamps man! You're really talented sir. Like the chickens too!

View Profile of clintiki Send a personal message to clintiki  Email clintiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-07-03 8:44 pm   Permalink

I am finally going to get some work done on my ceiling and have a couple of lamps to hang already. Will be hooking up with you when I am ready for my next lamp...love your work.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tigertail777
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-03 9:14 pm   Permalink

Beautiful lamps! Really incredible details.

But those chickens...anyone else a little creeped out by how they just STARE at you?

They are plotting my doom for eating chicken Mcnuggets I just know it!

View Profile of tigertail777 Send a personal message to tigertail777  Email tigertail777 Goto the website of tigertail777     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KAHAKA
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-27 2:32 pm   Permalink

Thanks clintiki... I'm still havin' fun making 'em.

VampiressRN... Looking forward to making one for ya!

tigertail777... you should see the chickens when we bbq chicken on the grill. They try to snatch the meat right out of your hands! Cannibals!

Last year around this time I posted a pic of 10 lamps headed to the Bahamas via Florida. Here's a pic of this summer's work before my wife and I just boxed them up to meet the others in the Bahamas. Kinda sad to see them go. Waaa.

Cheers,
Woody

danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-07-27 3:07 pm   Permalink

What a master of this craft. Those are all works of art. They are very beautiful. Having a photo to look at helps after they have left your care. On to the next one, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KAHAKA
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-24 7:18 pm   Permalink

Thanks Wendy... always appreciate comments like that from a Master like yourself!! Great to meet you at Tiki Oasis!

Here's a pic of a couple of my lamps (and my wife) in Notch's new Aku Bar at Tiki Oasis. Thanks to all that stopped by the booth and picked up a lamp! Met lots of really nice folks and had waaaaaaay too much fun. You can also substitute "fun" with "rum" in that last sentence.

Can't wait til next year already.

MAHALO!
Woody

gold zephyr
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-08-24 9:56 pm   Permalink

Thanks for posting, inspiring as usual. For moment I thought you said the chickens would be turned into tapa!

View Profile of gold zephyr Send a personal message to gold zephyr      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2012-08-25 10:26 am   Permalink

"I thought you said the chickens would be turned into tapa!"

Tapas yes, tapa no.
Lights looking good.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation