FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Kahaka's Tapa Tiki Lamps- Some of the Lamps I'll Have at Tiki Oasis
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 Next Page )
Kahaka's Tapa Tiki Lamps- Some of the Lamps I'll Have at Tiki Oasis
KAHAKA
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-15 10:19 pm   Permalink

Mahalo!

See ya'll at Tiki Oasis in the morn'. I'll have these lamps and a few others fer sale out there. Head on by the huge Moai postin' hitch, ya hear?!

Cheers,
Woody

Custom Tapa Swag Lamps and Sconces Built By Kahaka

View Profile of KAHAKA Send a personal message to KAHAKA  Email KAHAKA Goto the website of KAHAKA     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KAHAKA
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-10 1:12 pm   Permalink

Aloha TC,

I recently finished the biggest lamp I've built in 10+ years of lamp making for a customer. 24" x 18" didn't sound as big in an email as it looked when it was completed. This sucker is huge.

Anyone figure out a better way to cut the bamboo trivets like the ones on this lamp? I use a miter saw with a 200 toothed blade, but the bamboo still splinters and I have to hand sand each one clean. I've tried a bandsaw, but I can't get straight cuts on pieces this small.

The masters at Oceanic Arts told me they used to order huge bags of bamboo trivets already cut from China back in the day. Those were the days!

Thanks for lookin'.
Woody

View Profile of KAHAKA Send a personal message to KAHAKA  Email KAHAKA Goto the website of KAHAKA     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2013-11-10 1:46 pm   Permalink

Looks like a light for a private back room bar.

[ This Message was edited by: tikiskip 2013-12-03 09:14 ]

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KAHAKA
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-11 4:56 pm   Permalink

Thanks Skip. I've tried to find another miter saw blade with 200+ teeth to replace the one I have to no avail. I might eventually have to go the jigsaw route.

tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2013-11-11 6:01 pm   Permalink

Yup.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KAHAKA
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-11 12:16 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

I've wanted to try a seahorse panel lamp for some time now, so I'd been saving all of my leftover resin and smashing the pieces into tony bits to collect enough for a faux stain glass effect. I'm guessing there's over 25 hours in this project and over 4 pounds of resin. There's a lot I learned through making this one, but I'm glad to be done. This one is going to my brother and his family for Christmas.

Mele K,
Woody

hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-11 7:57 pm   Permalink

You are so good.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KAHAKA
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-11 9:15 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-11-10 13:46, tikiskip wrote:
Looks like a light for a private back room bar.

Ha... Nope. This one was for a customer in Illinois. I'm guessing he has really tall ceilings!

KAHAKA
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-11 9:16 pm   Permalink

Thanks hiltiki! I'm still learning.

TikiPops
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-12 10:21 am   Permalink

Woody,
Stunning!! Your lamps are always awesome.

View Profile of TikiPops Send a personal message to TikiPops  Email TikiPops     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KAHAKA
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-17 3:35 pm   Permalink

Thanks TikiPops... I'm digging the work you're doing on those lamps too. You're kickin booty with that router!

I tried to make a hat that would fit on top of the seahorse lamp, but it was too dang tall. I used bamboo ribs that didn't flex much. I found out that rattan is the way to go from a certain lamp maker.

I made another quickie lamp that would work with the hat. This one is going to my brother as well. Now he'll have 4, whereas I still don't have one of my own. One of these days....

Thanks for looking.
Woody

[ This Message was edited by: Kahaka 2013-12-17 16:57 ]

tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2013-12-17 6:19 pm   Permalink

Love the hat trick on the bottom of this light.
Before people start going "I got one of those lights and mine is made of bamboo"
Your right the old ones are made of bamboo but I think they had good fresh just cut
bamboo, not the old stuff we get here in the states.
Sooo that bamboo would flex more.
But if you use rattan it will flex more and be better for this hat makin project.
That's why I said rattan.
Guess I shoulda told you how to get more of a slope for the rattan sides.
Nice light.

Old Kahiki hat outa bamboo.

New hat made outa rattan made with a method of mine. (I think that Franks cane and rush has photos of how I did it on their website Still)

KAHAKA
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-19 11:16 pm   Permalink

I didn't have any references making this hat, other than pics I found of old Orchids' lamps, but I think I've figured out the necessity of an upper ring to give it the bell curve. Learning seems to happen along that same curve.

KAHAKA
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-21 1:24 pm   Permalink

And that hat you made is incredibly bitchin there, TikiSkippers.

tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2013-12-22 07:38 am   Permalink

Thanks KAHAKA,
I did show kinda how that was done here on TC somewhere long ago.
And I did use a upper ring but think that you could get away without one
and still get a curve.
BUT... you need to have that curve in the rattan/Bamboo before you make hat.
Was going to do a how to on the way I bend rattan but
think that has been put off.

"I didn't have any references making this hat, other than pics I found of old Orchids' lamps"

That's how I do it that and getting lucky and buying lots of lights from the Kahiki and
being able to see how they are made.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation