FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Kahaka's Tapa Tiki Lamps
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 Next Page )
Kahaka's Tapa Tiki Lamps
KAHAKA
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-10 9:30 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

Here's the last lamp I completed for 2013. This was a custom order by Forgotten Tikiman. Thanks buddy!

Cheers,
Woody

Custom Tapa Swag Lamps and Sconces Built By Kahaka

View Profile of KAHAKA Send a personal message to KAHAKA  Email KAHAKA Goto the website of KAHAKA     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
A Frame
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-10 10:06 pm   Permalink

Nice...an excellent outcome seems to be the norm when you create!

View Profile of A Frame Send a personal message to A Frame      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiPops
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-19 5:03 pm   Permalink

Woody.
Lov'in the resin work. The inlaid lava rock is awesome. I going to have to try playing with resin. Just seems like so many options.

View Profile of TikiPops Send a personal message to TikiPops  Email TikiPops     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
foamy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-20 08:53 am   Permalink

Woof. Another excellent lamp maker. Very nice work. I gotta drop in more often.

View Profile of foamy Send a personal message to foamy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KAHAKA
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-06 3:36 pm   Permalink

Thanks A Frame, TikiPops, and foamy!

TikiPops... resin is fun stuff, just messy as hell, expensive, and fumy. It does open up windows of possibilities for lamp making!

I haven't done a thread of a lamp build from start to finish in the ten years I've done this, so here goes.

I'm making a drum style lamp with bamboo sides with a resin, ship wheel style bottom.

I use this goofy caveman "tool" a while back to make my circles. I then divide the circle so that there are 8 spokes leading to the center circle.

After cutting out the windows between the spokes, I line all inner walls with woven edging I get from Benson's Imports.

After cutting down some bamboo into 3/8" trivets, I use 2 part epoxy to glue the pieces into place on a sheet of synskin, before I pour the colored resin over the top.

Next to fill the other windows with shells, and pour the resin...

View Profile of KAHAKA Send a personal message to KAHAKA  Email KAHAKA Goto the website of KAHAKA     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2014-02-07 05:44 am   Permalink

Lookin good.
Will be cool to see how you make yer lights.
I have been wanting to make a knock off of one of your lights
for myself not for sale.
Never can find the time.
After I did a how to make a basket light on TC I can never find baskets for lights now.
Could be a coincidence.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KAHAKA
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-09 7:20 pm   Permalink

We still need to do that trade, TikiSkip!!

Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-09 7:29 pm   Permalink

Kahaka, you're killing me! Dude, your stuff is amazing! Thanks for the in-progress pics!

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KAHAKA
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-09 7:59 pm   Permalink

Resin!

I use this wax to dam up the imperfections in the wood so the resin doesn't run all over hell.

Then I use wax paper for the panels and painters tape to prep for the resin. Wax paper pulls off cleanly- doesn't stick to the resin once it hardens.

All the panels taped up.

This is the resin I use... I get it at Tap Plastics.

Poured. Ready to work with in about an hour.

Next up, the sides and bambooing.

[ This Message was edited by: KAHAKA 2014-02-09 20:03 ]

Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-09 8:56 pm   Permalink

Great work! Your attention to detail is what makes your lamps so rad!

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2014-02-09 9:39 pm   Permalink

One of these days I am going to have to get a Kahaka lamp. Although I was thinking it would go in the Tiki lounge, I lately have been thinking the dining room might be a better fit. Sure I was just going to keep Tiki in one room of my house but I got some creep going on...LOL You do beautiful work.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-09 9:43 pm   Permalink

Is that your car key in the resin?
HA! made you look...

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2014-02-11 05:06 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-02-09 19:20, KAHAKA wrote:
We still need to do that trade, TikiSkip!!

Going to sell all Tiki, I'm going Spanish conquistador!!!
Please join me at Spanish conquistador central.
Where oddly enough we will talk about Tiki and bacon.

Jokes aside, I have already got some new tips here.
Great job on this one!
Stuff like this makes TC great.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KAHAKA
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-11 6:25 pm   Permalink

I lost all 8 of my keys in the resin on this one!

BigK, thanks man! I'm havin' fun with it.

I've wanted to do this for a while, Skip. Your how-to-threads were/are always fun to watch and inspiring. Glad you've found something useful in this one!

Next steps!

After the bottom is done, I join it to the top circle with four beams. The top piece has an open center to provide access to the bulb.

Then I lay out the synskin I'm going to be cutting out to adhere to the abaca matting I'll be wrapping around the frame. With pencil, I trace the edge of the frame as I roll it to find out how much I'll need, then repeat on the other side, then cut it out. The synskin will defuse the light from the bulb and give the sides the necessary glow.

I like to iron out the abaca matting to get rid of the creases before spray gluing to the abaca.

Synskin adhered to the abaca.

When I moved to the house we're currently in 2 years ago, I was finally able to set up my air compressor in my work space. All previous work spaces were too small to even allow me to use it. Hot dog, I love this thing. I use a pneumatic stapler to staple the matting to the frame. I also recently bought an air nailer, which I used to nail on the bamboos.

Finishing steps up next!

KAHAKA
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-11 6:26 pm   Permalink

And I'd be happy to make a lamp for ya, VampiressRN!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation