FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » To cap or not to cap, a bottle pourer question. Bartenders?
To cap or not to cap, a bottle pourer question. Bartenders?
TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-02 5:14 pm   Permalink

Ok heres a question. I've recieved several packs of Bottle pourers and Speed Pourers as gifts. And I do like to accuracy and utility of them.

But the question nagging in the back of my mind is this. If I put a bottle with a speed pourer that doesn't have a cap on the end, do I have to worry about evaporation? And do I have to worry if someone tosses an unwrapped onion in the fridge, will my precious Sailor Jerry taste like Onion Sailor Jerry?

Any bartenders have the answers to my nagging questions?

TG
http://www.exotic-tiki-gardens.com

PS sorry if this should be in the Tiki Drinks section, feel free to move it. After reading the Tiki Drinks description, it kinda seemed like this might not belong there. Maybe beyond tiki?

[ This Message was edited by: TikiGardener on 2004-08-02 17:17 ]

View Profile of TikiGardener Send a personal message to TikiGardener  Goto the website of TikiGardener     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-02 5:42 pm   Permalink

Evaporation may not be the issue, but bugs! An "open" liquor bottle will get little bugs in it. I am not sure what kind they are. Look like tiny fruit flies. But you will occasionally get them if the bottle is open, even with a pourer in it.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dangergirl299
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-08-02 5:55 pm   Permalink

I agree on the bugs.
I once ordered a Pimm's and Gin at a place in Salem, Oregon that didn't move a lot of Pimm's - I got the "last shot" as the waitress said, which came with exactly 12 fruit flies in it.

View Profile of dangergirl299 Send a personal message to dangergirl299  Email dangergirl299 Goto the website of dangergirl299     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2004-08-02 6:23 pm   Permalink

Bring out the caps for entertaining so you can save time and look like a pro, but save the original caps and recap the bottles when the party's over so the flies don't have their own party.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-02 7:38 pm   Permalink

A restaurant I used to work in would put aluminum foil over the pourers at the end of the night.

[ This Message was edited by: Kono on 2004-08-02 20:16 ]

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cybertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-02 7:56 pm   Permalink

Here's to the flies! They died a magnificent death!

<Cybertiki raises his glass>

Cheers!

http://www.cybertiki.com

View Profile of cybertiki Send a personal message to cybertiki  Email cybertiki Goto the website of cybertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
badmojo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-02 8:21 pm   Permalink

I keep pourers on all my bottles, but with a type that incorperates little removable caps to protect the spout when not in use. I had a hell of a time finding new ones with caps, so I ended up going to the hardware store and buying a handfull of Vacuum tube caps the right size, about a nickle a piece.

View Profile of badmojo Send a personal message to badmojo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTikiTavi

Posted: 2004-08-03 05:39 am   Permalink

The vacuum line covers are a great idea. If you want to be extra careful, there are pourers available with screens in them to keep the bugs out.
http://www.acemart.com/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=AM&Product_Code=COTWF0026-S&Category_Code=A13-3

View Profile of TikiTikiTavi Send a personal message to TikiTikiTavi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-04 10:36 am   Permalink

Pourers should be ok on the drinks bugs don't like, such as gin. I assume they go for the sweet stuff.

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-04 11:10 am   Permalink

At my hotel, they use cellophane sheets, 9x9 inch sheets called Roll-O-Sheets.
http://www.roll-o-sheets.com/cello.htm
They’re the easiest solution for the problem and they are disposable. No mess and they are not really that visible.
I don’t use them at my tiki bar because I never keep fruit lying around, where the obvious fruit flies come from.
Evaporation has never been a problem.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gigantalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-14 11:04 pm   Permalink

The little scurges you refer to is the common Drain Fly.

They do like sweets, but will go for anything. They are a Fruit Fly, but not the kind that ruin intire industires, like the Med Fly, Mex Fly or Oriental Fruit Fly.

They can be trapped in a item called a McPhail Trap, which uses yeast to attract the little blighters to the jar, and once in...they can't get out.
(Sinister Laughter Here_

A vile pest called Apple Maggot is interesting as it has a pattern on it's wings which when viewed upside-down looks like a large spider. The fly even moves its wings in such a way to look like large spider and intimidate would-be preditors.

View Profile of Gigantalope Send a personal message to Gigantalope  Email Gigantalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
diesel tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-08-16 4:18 pm   Permalink

I helped a friend of mine with his restaurants bar.A really effective solution for the flies is wipe the bottles down with bleach water.Wash the caps in really hot water to get the crud out and put them back on the bottles.Wiping downs the botlles each night masks the scent of the hooch and deters the flies.If that fails cover with pieces of foil or replace the caps.

View Profile of diesel tiki Send a personal message to diesel tiki  Email diesel tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation