FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving What to do with fabric?
What to do with fabric?
Sweet Daddy Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-03 12:45 am   Permalink

My mother's been offering to sew me a patchwork quilt so I've been looking around during my thrift store excursions for scraps of nice Hawaiian-type print fabric. A little while ago I found this lovely big piece for 6 bucks.

It seems a pity to cut it up, but I don't know what else to do with it. It's almost the right size for a tablecloth for my dining room table except it's not wide enough to drape over the sides. Suggestions?

Also, does anyone have any scraps of fabric they'd be willing to send me for my quilt? (I'd pay postage, of course, or maybe we can arrange a trade).

[ This Message was edited by: Sweet Daddy Tiki on 2004-08-03 00:46 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Sweet Daddy Tiki 2008-09-18 00:09 ]

View Profile of Sweet Daddy Tiki Send a personal message to Sweet Daddy Tiki  Goto the website of Sweet Daddy Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cybertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-03 03:15 am   Permalink

Greetings Sweet Daddy;

Nice fabric! My preference would be a men's sarong as sold at the Mai-Kai since it would show off the pattern very nicely. Alternatively, an Aloha Shirt would be good as well, although the pattern is somewhat large. As far as the scraps, I PM'd you and if you'll get back to me I'll help Joelle sweep the cutting room floor, and we'll get you set up.

Cheers!

http://www.cybertiki.com

View Profile of cybertiki Send a personal message to cybertiki  Email cybertiki Goto the website of cybertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
docwoods
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-03 06:14 am   Permalink

Pretty fabric-what about making a type of throw with it-stitch a thin piece of batting to it,and then put a solid piece of coordinating fabric over the batting-it would be a kind of afghan or beach blanket.

View Profile of docwoods Send a personal message to docwoods  Email docwoods     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cybertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-03 07:51 am   Permalink

Joelle suggested that if you wanted a tablecloth, you could take the central portion of the design, clip the borders and stitch plain white (or other matching) cotton fabric on each side to make up for the width.

Cheers!

http://www.cybertiki.com

View Profile of cybertiki Send a personal message to cybertiki  Email cybertiki Goto the website of cybertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Alnshely
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-03 10:00 am   Permalink

Use it as wall paper

Make a lamp

Reupholster

Drapes or a bed spread

Make a shirt like Swanky's

Frame a Tiki!!!

Mahalo,
Al

View Profile of Alnshely Send a personal message to Alnshely  Email Alnshely     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sweet Daddy Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-03 2:52 pm   Permalink

Thanks everyone for your great suggestions.

Cybertiki, I emailed you.

Al, I love the record display wall. Did you make the bamboo frames? Can you change the album covers or is it a permanent installation?

blog

View Profile of Sweet Daddy Tiki Send a personal message to Sweet Daddy Tiki  Goto the website of Sweet Daddy Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sweetpea
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-03 4:21 pm   Permalink

it will take me a while, but I'll send some fabric. That's rad that yer gonna git a hwasaiian quilt. My firneds mom did a cowboy one for her, and a gambling one for her brother, and they were both super cool. Email me yer addy. I have fabric... lots of fabric....
PEa

View Profile of sweetpea Send a personal message to sweetpea  Email sweetpea Goto the website of sweetpea     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sweetpea
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-03 4:23 pm   Permalink

okay, I don't know why I cannot type today... sorry kids...
I must still be at the pool at the Tropicana in my mind...

View Profile of sweetpea Send a personal message to sweetpea  Email sweetpea Goto the website of sweetpea     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Cocktail
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-04 6:49 pm   Permalink

I might have some too (scraps left over from shirt making) though I JUST threw a bunch of smaller scraps out (and they picked up the garbage yesterday!)

View Profile of Atomic Cocktail Send a personal message to Atomic Cocktail  Goto the website of Atomic Cocktail     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation