FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Beyond Tiki » » The Amazing Race!
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
The Amazing Race!
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-03 4:28 pm   Permalink

I thought about putting this in the Guilty Pleasures thread, but NO!-- this show is nothing to feel guilty about. Who else here is addicted to this show?

This is hands-down the best reality show on television, and is the only reason I ever turn my TV on. I first got into watching it last season after seeing how devoted and large a following it has at
Television Without Pity. (I don't watch television, but I read about it. It's funnier that way, and quicker.) If you watch The Amazing Race, you MUST read the weekly recaps at TWoP.

The Amazing Race Recaps

So far this season, I haven't found a team I really want to root for, though I've got a few people I'd love to see drop out (Mirna, mostly--Charla is no peach, but she's not as bad as her terrible cousin, who probably brings out the worst in her). Last week's leg was insane--a grotesque amount of bus & plane travel, followed with a grotesque amount of fish eggs. I didn't understand how the caviar was so hard to get down until I read some nutritional details in the recap. Blech!

Tuesdays, 10pm Eastern/Pacific, 9pm Central/Mountain, CBS

The Amazing Race website at CBS (not as good as the TWoP stuff, but has pictures of the teams to get you up to speed.)

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Bird
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-03 4:54 pm   Permalink

Utopiandreem & i watch Amazing Race religiously. I got everyone at work watching it as well and we have a pool going. I also havent chosen a team that im rooting for. This season racers are alittle more difficult choose a favorite. In the office pool I have Kami/Karli & Chip/Kim. The reason i like this program so much is the traveling aspect.

Tbird.

View Profile of Tiki Bird Send a personal message to Tiki Bird  Email Tiki Bird     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
laney
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-03 5:00 pm   Permalink

Last year this was one of me and my son's "don't miss shows" it was on a day when I didn't work so we'd watch it in bed eating junk. We really wanted the BFGs to win but kept watching after they lost. It is a great show!

Sadly this year it is on a night I work and meet up with a friend for a cocktail before work. I always forget to tape it and once you miss a few, I feel out of the loop.

I want my best friend and I to do this show. She used to be a travel agent and knows the ins and outs. Plus, we've been friends for so long, I'm sure we'd make it through anything.

View Profile of laney Send a personal message to laney  Email laney     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Doctor Z
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-03 5:35 pm   Permalink

Yep, we watch it religiously also! We used to have friends over for dinner and watch in previous years when it was on Thursdays at 8:00, but now that it's Tuesdays at 10:00, we just have dessert.

My buddy and I filled out applications last year, but missed the deadline sending them in... (This year we are applying online!) He works for the FAA and knows a lot of 'insider' tips for air travel...

As to who will win: although it's doubtful they'll make it all the way, but we're rooting for the Bowling Moms!
Ask for it by name!

View Profile of Doctor Z Send a personal message to Doctor Z  Email Doctor Z     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-03 5:54 pm   Permalink

I am kinda partial to the Bowling Moms. They haven't really had a lot of screen time yet, though. I also like Chip & Kim. Can't tell yet how I feel about Modelin' for Jesus--they've made some smart moves and play the game well, but his Christopher Atkins Blue Lagoon hair creeps me out.

Kami/Karli seem to be a strong team at first blush, but if you look at how they've done so far, they've been near the bottom for every finish. Based on that, I don't think they'll last much longer. I think it hurts them that while they're both athletic, neither of them is particularly physically strong, and they haven't been making any of the really smart planning moves (or flag spotting--jeez louise, they need glasses or something!) you need to get ahead of the pack.

I was heartbroken last year when the Clowns were Philiminated.

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sweet Daddy Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-03 5:54 pm   Permalink

I've always thought that if I was a contestant on The Amazing Race (or most Survivor type reality shows) I would die. The first time I had to swim somewhere as part of a challenge or jump off a building or something it would be >splat< game over. This season of AR I haven't felt that yet. I think I could bite into 10,000 chocolates and eat a kilo of caviar without dying a horrible death. I might feel bilious for a while but it would pass.

TWoP is a guilty pleasure -- I've wasted too many hours in my bathrobe reading it while avoiding work.

blog

View Profile of Sweet Daddy Tiki Send a personal message to Sweet Daddy Tiki  Goto the website of Sweet Daddy Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-03 6:03 pm   Permalink

Count us in as addicted! Mrs. 8FT & I haven't missed a single episode of any season. For some reason, I especially like the theme music at the start of each weeks show. I crank the volume. We like Survivor and Big Brother but we LOVE the Amazing Race.

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikicleen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-04 12:00 am   Permalink

okay, so i am hopelessly addicted to the amazing race. may it be the only tv show that i watch during the week (i can prove this by attesting that we do not have cable...hence no reason to watch television otherwise)
but yes, i have watched every season of the amazing race and would love to be on it. this season, i absolutely hated alison and donny, and was so thankful when they lost early on. i also really do not like the twins. they seem pretty dim-witted and rely a lot on their self-perceived 'good-looks'. i will go out on a lone limb here and state that i enjoy watching the mirna/charla team. yes, the show teases them a lot as being a favorite. yes, the local and entertainment programs are having a field day with them. but what really amuses me is how they fall on most clues per-chance. they are almost like on a vacation, and the race is this second side goal of theirs. charla is big on proving herself to the world. mirna is unbelievably a lawyer in the 'real world' and is such a ditz....and is obviously competing for the sole satisfaction of meeting the host at the end of each leg (as evidenced by her constant touch up of makeup and rearrangement of tangled hair right before going to the platform). you have to admit, it is pretty damn funny.
yeah, i havent really picked a team that i support. i do like the bowling moms just because they arent the typical naive-cookie-cutter-truly-honest-older ladies that these shows usually choose. these women are sneaky and vindictive, you gotta love that!
i just wonder how next week will work with them not having a dime to their name.

this show also make me wonder, why havent mig, or humu tried out for it? you guys are totally the adventurous travel type. why not give it a go? you would have tremendous support here.

View Profile of tikicleen Send a personal message to tikicleen  Email tikicleen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-bot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-04 12:48 pm   Permalink

We were addicted to this show last season, but have barely seen it this season. It's a really well-made show, for what it is, and in the 5 minutes I saw of it last week, I quickly learned a bit about each couple. What's frustrating is how much of the show is racing to the airport and fighting over airplane seats. Gets tiresome after a while. I prefer Survivor.

Something that I find superior about Survivor(if I can use that word when describing "reality" shows) is that AR doesn't have much conflict between teams. Sure, the couples sometimes bicker, but Survivor is nothing *but* conflict, with a few lame contests thrown in to break up the back-biting and trash talking. The AR contestants rarely get the chance to interact, which takes away a lot of the psuedo-drama.

I know if I started watching AR, though, I'd get sucked in, and way too much of my schedule in the past has revolved around tv shows. Thank god for the tv drought this summer. TV has never been worse and I've never watched less.

And to save him the effort in this thread, Bong says to kill your tv.

View Profile of Tiki-bot Send a personal message to Tiki-bot  Email Tiki-bot     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-04 12:56 pm   Permalink

Man, this show gets my heart thumpin'! Another great episode last night. Colin & Christie showed yet again that they're superior racers--I might have to start rooting for them even though I wish they didn't bicker so much. Mirna didn't do anything hateful this week, which was disappointing--it's fun to hate her. I love that the twins said they were clueless when they decided to not use the clue they were given. You're not clueless (literally!), you're idiotic. I love Chip for stopping to be helpful, but it's gonna bite him if he doesn't watch out. Hope good karma saves them!

Tiki Bird
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-04 1:44 pm   Permalink

Doctor Z, your going to have a big laugh, my satalite recorder didnt record Amazing Race! Damn! did you tape it? I read the CBS Amazing Race site news, it seems it was a good episode.

Technology sometimes really sucks.

Tbird.

View Profile of Tiki Bird Send a personal message to Tiki Bird  Email Tiki Bird     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-11 12:06 am   Permalink

Yay Chip & Kim! I've got my favorites now--they've honed their racing skills, and not only have they continued to be nice under pressure, but I think they're actually getting even nicer & more laid back, which is impressive. I love that they're enjoying themselves so much.

I'm glad the bowling moms have squeaked through again.

Did none of the teams know what a scarab is???

Tiki-Toa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-11 08:38 am   Permalink

We are hooked, Mrs. Toa does not miss a show, unlike me because of a phone call missed last nights show, which I had to wake her up to find out what happened, really need to get TiVo. Or go to that link of Humu's.

Toa

View Profile of Tiki-Toa Send a personal message to Tiki-Toa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-11 08:42 am   Permalink

They've been rebroadcasting the Tuesday episodes on Saturday nights at 8pm, you can catch it or record it then.

Tiki Bird
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-11 09:15 am   Permalink

Mirna is starting to get on my nerves, she always complaining about everything. Even though Colin is kind of a jerk, i cant blame him for fighting with Mirna.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation