FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving A small carving and a Memorial project
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
A small carving and a Memorial project
congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-22 4:56 pm   Permalink

Merry Christmas 8 Foot. Nice job on the "Bob" and I also like the pendants
that you posted quite a while ago that I missed. "Bob" will look great
indoors, will you let him mingle with the 8-Foot-Tiki?

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-24 4:39 pm   Permalink

Hey Conga. Yep, Old 8FT has welcomed Bob warmly and you know it is starting to get kinda full in here with those two plus the big Pisco and Frankoma War God tikis too. Sort of a theme ......giant booze bottles and tiki mugs!
Yeah I love this room!!!!!! Cheers & Merry Christmas.

8FT

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-24 5:14 pm   Permalink

Merry Christmas 8ft, it looks like you have an Original Bob there, Excellent carving as usual from you. Nice to see your work here again.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-27 5:18 pm   Permalink

Thanks Ben. I like the end result but the dust that comes from working the dry palm is incredible. From what I have read, carving a fresh palm log has its own challenges (mold etc.) I guess timing is critical to get the best results. The only previous work I have done with palm is the restoration of the 8FT himself. Hopefully some day I can luck into a big juicy palm log to do a larger carving. But then I'd like to try that Basswood Conga is always working with too. (I think I may have wood envy.) Well, it's back to the oak, sycamore and walnut for me.
Later, 8FT

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-27 5:55 pm   Permalink

"Well, it's back to the oak, sycamore and walnut for me." We ALL should be so UN-Fortunate, Damn that Walnut and Oak and Sycamore too even, DAMN...
HappyHappyHappy

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SilverLine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-31 3:08 pm   Permalink

W O W !! I can't believe I missed this! Your Bob is SPOT ON! I know after all that drying time these logs weigh practically nothing, so that had to make it harder to carve. What did you use? A combination of chisels and the hook knife? Tell me more!

Classic Silver Line Boats

View Profile of SilverLine Send a personal message to SilverLine  Goto the website of SilverLine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-31 3:37 pm   Permalink

Aw shucks, thanks.

I used a big box cutter to get through the outer husk.
Then I used some smaller chisels and the hook knives. I don't think I ever even picked up a mallet because I wanted to keep control of the chisels and not knock off a big chunk I intended to keep. SO a lot of restraint and patience was helpful (along with a dust mask and shop vac!)
Now, When are you going to work on the dry log you have waiting at YOUR house?? Have you decided on a design?

Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-31 5:31 pm   Permalink

8 FT... a very nice finish on your "Bob."

I've still got a chunk of palm over a year old from Wayne Coombs... would only be the 3rd palm log I've carved. It is like Styrofoam when dry and I found I didn't even need a mallet.

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MooneyTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-31 09:48 am   Permalink

bump

View Profile of MooneyTiki Send a personal message to MooneyTiki  Email MooneyTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikithomas08
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-31 5:24 pm   Permalink

that bob is AWESOME!

View Profile of tikithomas08 Send a personal message to tikithomas08  Email tikithomas08 Goto the website of tikithomas08     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SilverLine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-08 10:29 am   Permalink

Has it REALLY been nearly a year since my friend 8FT has carved anything??

8FT Tiki may have you all thinking he hasn't been working on ANYTHING since that great Tiki Bob carving, but don't you believe it!

And here's the proof!

I was given this wonderful carving just before Thanksgiving! Turns out Mr. 8FT has been spending MANY long hours on this piece. It was once a well-weathered 6x6 redwood deck post, but through painstaking (and in my opinion somewhat insane) determination he created this WAY cool Tiki! I'll let him explain the process, but suffice it to say that I could not have mustered the patience.

I will tell you, however, that I've learned HOW he's able to carve like this.

The inspiration for this Tiki (and I recognized it right away) was found at
"The First Ever Gathering of All KC-Area Tiki-philes" event during the summer of '07. We all wound up at the Cool Crest Family Fun Center to see the oldest KC-area Tikis still standing.

An impressive little Tiki, to be sure. And one that I believe ol' 8FT was after from the start. When he thought no one was watching, 8FT summoned the mana of this Tiki through some sort of Tiki mind-meld. From wood to hand; from hand to wood again.

There, your secret is out!

THANKS Paul for a GREAT carving (as always)!

[ This Message was edited by: SilverLine 2008-12-08 12:35 ]

View Profile of SilverLine Send a personal message to SilverLine  Goto the website of SilverLine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-08 4:30 pm   Permalink

Thanks for letting the secret out Silverline, I was just wondering what
you guys have been up to. I like the latest tiki, and I think I notice
some teddy bears on the top of 8 Foot's mantle. Did you carve those
too?

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tucson Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-08 5:18 pm   Permalink

8ft, Great stuff. Love the 3 inch pendant on the left that is lighter. Is it for sale? I need me some tiki mojo. How much to aquire mucho mojo? TT

View Profile of Tucson Tiki Send a personal message to Tucson Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SilverLine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-08 6:11 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-12-08 16:30, congatiki wrote:
I like the latest tiki, and I think I notice
some teddy bears on the top of 8 Foot's mantle. Did you carve those
too?

Hey Conga! Sorry, all interior photos were taken at my house. 8FT delivers, too!

congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-08 6:13 pm   Permalink

So who carved the teddy bears?

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation