FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving A small carving and a Memorial project
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
A small carving and a Memorial project
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-18 09:35 am   Permalink

Here are some other views for you Aaron.

[ This Message was edited by: 8FT Tiki 2006-08-25 17:43 ]

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-18 8:41 pm   Permalink

Sweet! I like that crown thingy. And the body. I'd love to do a tiki that's not all head. Great work. Hope there's another on the way.

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-10 9:35 pm   Permalink

I just finished an overhaul of a vintage piece from the Phillipines which I aquired from Tikijackalope. You may remember he got many of the decorative pieces from the Aloha restaurant after it closed. This a 3 figure tiki totem pole type wall plaque. It was originally on the wall of the restaurant in one of the booths where you sat for dinner.
Here is a picture of it after he picked it up.

I believe he got 3 of these plaques and each of us (the 3 new owners) have each had to try to remove many years of restaurant grease and dust from the figures and framework. It took me many hours to scrub and scrape each part but I like the result of the finished restored piece. This is how it looks today:

I decided to remove the red material background and paint it orange with a walnut stain over that. I bet it looks better on my wall than in that restaurant !

[ This Message was edited by: 8FT Tiki on 2005-02-10 21:44 ]

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-12 5:51 pm   Permalink

That looks like it was a lot of hard work and the end result is really great. It must have been like looking for buried treasure, going thru the guunk to find the gold undernr=eath it.
cool.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-06 9:24 pm   Permalink

Here's a new addition to the yard. I bet some of you have one of these too. I always liked those sign posts like they had on M*A*S*H. So I got to thinking about what to put on one and at first I was going to put Hololulu, Fiji, New Zealand etc. Then Mrs.8FT suggested we use the names of classic tiki bars. SO I was out hitting a few yard sales and found this guy selling some really long clothes hanger poles. He had used them in his childrens clothing resale shop and he had recently retired and closed the shop. Then I found another sale which had a bunch of new cedar roof shingles. I paid a total of $1.50 and got the whole family to help paint and prepare the signs. I thought it would look better if we used the actual logos or "fonts" of the bar names instead of just using block letters. We used mapquest to find the mileage from our address to each tiki location. Then as a topper, I got out an Orchids of Hawaii broken mug I received in the mail awhile back.
Then I assembled it and got this:

(Mr. 8FT tiki shown actual size)

rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-06 9:30 pm   Permalink

Thats a great idea.
must have been fun to get the whole family in on a tiki project.

Mahalo for sharing.

View Profile of rodeotiki Send a personal message to rodeotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sam Gambino
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-07 09:47 am   Permalink

Very nice work, 8ft. Thanks for posting.

View Profile of Sam Gambino Send a personal message to Sam Gambino  Email Sam Gambino Goto the website of Sam Gambino     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-07 09:53 am   Permalink

Nice direction signs, 8Ft, are the mileages correct? neat addition to a cool tiki.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-07 3:20 pm   Permalink

Benzart, just to clarify,the sign post is not coming out of the tikis head, although that is a cool idea! It is actually set into the ground a couple of feet behind him. The mileages are correct. But remember, I'm a typical guy who has a problem with measuring things!
After all, I call myself 8FT !

[ This Message was edited by: 8FT Tiki on 2005-06-07 15:24 ]

Raffertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-07 5:32 pm   Permalink

The signpost is a neat idea. If you want to add "Raffertiki's Place" I'm about 1256 miled due east.

http://www.NiceFishy.com

View Profile of Raffertiki Send a personal message to Raffertiki  Email Raffertiki Goto the website of Raffertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-09 09:13 am   Permalink

I love the sign post! I'm going to have to steal that idea for my bar. I wonder if it would have the same effect indoors?

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-09 09:26 am   Permalink

Finkdaddy, a buddie of mine did a sign post inside and it looked great. Only his pointers directed you to the bathroom, kitchen, bedrooms, pool and toilet. Oh yeah, there was one more - "if lost, stop drinking!"

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
flacookz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-09 09:30 am   Permalink

Every time my family takes a vacation... we collect a piect of wood or something to attache to the post. Memory are sparked everytime i look at it.

-----------------------------------------------

www.PalmCityTiki.com

View Profile of flacookz Send a personal message to flacookz  Email flacookz Goto the website of flacookz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-19 9:20 pm   Permalink

Got about 5 of these 2-3 foot pine logs awhile back. I decided to try a moai on the first log and I just finished it up. Here's a few photos.

Finished with carving and ready for sanding.

Sanding completed.

Decided to have a custom stain color mixed and go with a bit less traditional hue.

Last step was to apply a polyurethane to protect it from the elements.

I would have liked it if the crack was on the backside but it could have been worse I guess.

rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-19 9:31 pm   Permalink

Nice work 8foot, I really like the blue and how the grain shows thru. They sell colored stain at a "u finish it" wooden furniture store here. I have been a little hesitant to try it , but after seeing your blue moai I am gonna get me some.

View Profile of rodeotiki Send a personal message to rodeotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation