FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving A small carving and a Memorial project
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
A small carving and a Memorial project
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-13 05:39 am   Permalink

Excellent piocture from SilverLine and Nice job on the room 8Ft!. The only scary thing was seeing you up on that "Scaffolding" (does OSHA know about this improvement?). Were that me, I would have broken a leg or two as I tend to walk off those things as I'm a klutz from the word go.
What'cha been carving recently, anything?

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-28 4:32 pm   Permalink

Well here it is a mere 10 months since Coon Tiki but I am FINALLY finished with my Tiki Diablo Tangaroa Mask assignment. I got distracted with a lot of things and had to set this aside until I could return to it. I may lose some points for turning it in late but at least I finished it instead of burning it!! OK Danny, How'd I do?

After I finished the carving I used my Arbortech wheel to create a concave backside in the half log and reduce the weight of the piece substantially.

I chose the colors to compliment the room and other tiki pieces in there.

Since this is Tangaroa the fishing god of the Cook Islands, I decided to put a fish net with a few cork floats up on the wall behind the mask instead of just hanging it up by itself.

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Davez_tikiz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-28 5:07 pm   Permalink

I like it! So... I guess it's time for me to finish mine !?!

View Profile of Davez_tikiz Send a personal message to Davez_tikiz  Email Davez_tikiz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-28 6:33 pm   Permalink

Looks great, as does the room make-over

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-28 8:18 pm   Permalink

COOL. And About time too. Very Well Done 8ft.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Lee's
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-29 2:24 pm   Permalink

Great Finish to a L-O-N-G run!

Is that your actual log from the house, or did you start over like I did? Nice colors, too. Are they wood stains or oil paints or what?

Excellent presentation. 8ft gets a "10"!!!

View Profile of Tiki Lee's Send a personal message to Tiki Lee's      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-29 7:53 pm   Permalink

Thanks Y'all.

Lee, yes, this is THE piece of log I had chosen at the lodge during Coon tiki. You may remember that I didn't even start carving it there. I just drew on the features. I thought the wood was too wet and fragile to start carving then(not because it was green wood but rather seasoned wood that was too wet from rain) so I decided to take it with me and work on it when it dried out good. Think I waited long enough?

Then I started handing out my photos to the guys who had to leave for home. As for the coloring, I had a quart of colored stain mixed up for me at Lowes and then I did the eyes & mouth with paints. Next I put a walnut stain over it all and wiped off the areas that I didn't want to be too dark. Since it was going to be an indoor piece I elected not to put a polyurethane protecting coat on it. Hope that answers your questions.

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SilverLine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-18 11:10 am   Permalink

Having seen this mask in person, I KNOW it's nicely done! But that's not all my friend 8-FT has been working on! Late last month I had the pleasure of visiting the 8-FT abode and was given this fabulous carving! Sorry it's taken me so long to photograph it. It's nearly identical to the chalkware tikis my parents had hanging at the base of the stairs in the house I grew up in; tikis I've been looking for for years but have yet to find! At the base of 8-FT's carving is the Silver Line Boats logo (my other interest and the source of my Tiki-Central ID). SOOOO COOOL!!

I can't thank you enough, 8-FT!!

Classic Silver Line Boats

View Profile of SilverLine Send a personal message to SilverLine  Goto the website of SilverLine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-18 12:35 pm   Permalink

great vintage-looking design...congrats to 8 Foot...and to you Siverline for being the
proud owner! Pics can be deceiving...how big is it?

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-18 12:39 pm   Permalink

Cool work 8Ft.. UGLY, Well carved tiki and the Silverline Logo is nice as well.

SilverLine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-18 8:51 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-02-18 12:35, congatiki wrote:
Pics can be deceiving...how big is it?

He's about a foot tall. Carved out of walnut with the hook knife, if I recall correctly. VERY nicely done!

Classic Silver Line Boats

View Profile of SilverLine Send a personal message to SilverLine  Goto the website of SilverLine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-18 9:52 pm   Permalink

Way to go 8-FOOT. I think we do our best work on tikis given freely to friends, and that one has TLC written all over it, nice design and very well executed. I know why he gave it to you, Silverline, got photographic proof! Tiki Karma Rules!!

Cheers,

A-A

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-22 10:37 pm   Permalink

I am nearly done with a new piece I've been working on this Winter. It really all began before my Father died last year.
One day we were talking in his garage and he showed me these rough cut wooden gun stocks. Someone had this wood and had it sawn into blocks for carving the wooden parts for rifles or shotguns. I don't know where he got them or how old they are but they seem to be old, not newly done. They have a tar seal on the ends. They are various sizes ranging from 1-3 inches thick and 1-3 feet long. Most seem to be walnut but may be an oak piece or two.
I think the long ones would make some great war cubs.

Anyway, he gave me one and said "go ahead and carve it, I'm not going to use them. So I took one home and looked at it a hundred times. I kept thinking THERES A MOAI IN THERE! Well I finally just decided to dig in and see if
it would come out. Here's how it looks now.

I could have put in more details such as on the ears, nostrils and mouth but I found that as the moai emerged,
it felt to me that it should be a stylized image instead of a true replica carving. I am really pleased with it so far. I finished sanding tonight and I have been thinking all along that I want to have the grain very visible so instead of giving it a polyurethane coat, I will be using a tung oil finish. I do not want a gloss or sheen so a flat oiled appearance is what I am after. Should have more pics soon. This carving is walnut and measures 17 1/2 inches tall.

Tiki Lee's
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-23 01:45 am   Permalink

BEEEE - YUTI-FULL!!!

View Profile of Tiki Lee's Send a personal message to Tiki Lee's      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
haikai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-23 01:56 am   Permalink

The moai is realy pretty! Great wood color and clean sanding.

View Profile of haikai Send a personal message to haikai  Email haikai Goto the website of haikai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation