FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving A small carving and a Memorial project
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 )
A small carving and a Memorial project
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-07-16 12:39 am   Permalink

Did you quit carving tikis and just start buying them?

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=37049&forum=1&start=0

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-23 3:19 pm   Permalink

Oh Grog, you so funny. Really, I'm just trying to get you to notice that there's more to 8FT than just an occasionally mediocre carving. Now that I have 3 BIG BOY Tikis in my great room, I don't have to worry about finding and carving something huge for indoors and these guys are WAY cooler than anything I can create. So the weight of a giant hardwood log in my house is no longer a concern. I do have one more walnut log ready to be worked on so that's next. Now before I go, here's a little pendant I did for Mrs. 8FT. It's very light weight because I carved it from the dried stalk of a perennial Hybiscus we have in our yard. The woody stalks when dried are much like Balsa wood and hold detail well.

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SilverLine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-26 08:20 am   Permalink

WAY COOL! So, how much does that little Bob hold?

View Profile of SilverLine Send a personal message to SilverLine  Goto the website of SilverLine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-08-26 08:42 am   Permalink

Painting (or glazing) Tiki Bob is a pain in the ass. You got to feel GROG' pain. You're lucky, you only had to do one. Good job on it, though.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
croe67
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-26 09:47 am   Permalink

MAKE MORE MAKE MORE MAKE MORE (PLEASE) ) !!!!!!!!!!!

View Profile of croe67 Send a personal message to croe67  Email croe67     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SilverLine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-02 05:40 am   Permalink

Last night my wife and I were gifted these fantastic, his & hers Moai pendants, carved by our friend 8ft Tiki! I'll let him tell you how they were done, but suffice to say that there was again another unusual employment of the Exacto Knife. They're pretty dang slick, if you ask me!

Thanks 8ft!

Classic Silver Line Boats

View Profile of SilverLine Send a personal message to SilverLine  Goto the website of SilverLine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-02 3:23 pm   Permalink

Cool Bob 8Foot but I'm with the skeptics in that you won't quench that thirst with the holdings of This Bob. However he is Really cool, BUT the Moai pair are Way cool too and twice so because there are a pair, so what's the story? Love to hear it. I do understnd the Why part, just need the HOW part?

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-09 9:13 pm   Permalink

Ben, sorry I didn't reply sooner but I didn't know Silverline had put this in my thread. Anyway, the How was simply a full moai carved from Hibiscus and then very carefully sliced in half. This was hard to accomplish because I was out in the woods camping when I carved it and I didn't have very many tools. I did all I could there and then painted, stained and assembled the bases when I got home. As you probably assumed, the Why is because the Silverlines are great friends and I just wanted to make them something special that they could both enjoy. They deserve it!

Now here's another Pendant from Hibiscus that I just finished. It is so lightweight and I really like working with it. It measures 5 3/4"

I used the same green paint that I had originally bought for the tall Pisco moai I carved a few years ago.

[ This Message was edited by: 8FT Tiki 2010-12-09 21:25 ]

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-31 1:04 pm   Permalink

I want to add to my thread this little 6 inch tall carving which is another Hibiscus stalk piece.

I wish I could have done more carving in the last couple of years but my time is mostly occupied with other responsibilities and I sometimes feel a bit guilty carving when I should be doing something my family needs me to do. I'm sure a lot of you are in a similar situation. Let me share with you a different carving project. Having lost my brother and a very good friend both unexpectedly, I wanted to do something to remember their many years of service to Boy Scouting and so with the help of family and friends we designed and made a picnic bench seat to replace a broken one in a park we all fondly visit each year. It was the last place I saw my brother before he was taken from us and I'm sure he would be happy to know we finally fixed that damn bench seat. Here's the board which we will install as soon as we get some Springlike weather here.

SandraDee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-31 4:02 pm   Permalink

What a great tribute! Thats some clean carving

I am sorry for your loss and hope only good things come you and your family's way in 2013!

View Profile of SandraDee Send a personal message to SandraDee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation