FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Aside from Witco, who made Witco-like tiki stuff?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Aside from Witco, who made Witco-like tiki stuff?
tikijackalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-05 6:02 pm   Permalink

I'm trying to nail down who made the various Witco-like tiki masks, etc. back...whenever that was. I've been told there was at least one artist that worked for Witco but split off on his own. Its also logical to assume that if Witco had commercial success, they might have had unrelated imatators that copied the style. I know that the burnt wood finish was popular; what I don't know is if other manufacturers did tiki in that style and who they were.
For starters, would anyone (Boutiki?) know who made the mask or shield shown on page vi of Tiki Quest? Has anyone found a Witco-like piece with another maker's identification attached?

View Profile of tikijackalope Send a personal message to tikijackalope  Email tikijackalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
keigs20
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-05 6:11 pm   Permalink

Hey Tikijackalope, My wife showed Bill the masks he said they were not Witco. He says there were people who worked at Witco, then quit, and tried to do it on there own. I dont think they were too successful but there are some knock offs out there.

View Profile of keigs20 Send a personal message to keigs20  Email keigs20 Goto the website of keigs20     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijackalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-05 6:50 pm   Permalink

Thanks, Keigs! Any names of carvers or companies to give us? Can you give us, at your leisure, a brief chronology of Witco, especially as it related to tiki carvings? I know we "ask Keigs" for a lot of information, but I'm sure many appreciate having an expert on hand as much as I do.

View Profile of tikijackalope Send a personal message to tikijackalope  Email tikijackalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
puamana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-05 7:50 pm   Permalink

Here are some photos of a few Witco style tiki carvings. The first 3 are marked with the name Gale Haner, Tacoma, WA.

A standing tiki, which has a metal tag on the back with the Gale Haner name:

A tiki mask, also with the metal name tag on the back:

The 2nd mask below has the name branded in the wood on the back:

Finding similar style carvings has become just as much fun as finding Witco pieces...I wonder just how many are out there. I have a few others, both marked with a name and unmarked. Here's one (less tiki and more abstract) marked "The Woodcarver, Arlington, WA, 1963 on the back :

And another, unmarked, with the Space Needle :

Keigs' explanation that similar style carvings could have been done by
former Witco employees is probably the reason for both the Gale Haner name
and Woodcarver name, as both are local Washington locations. These were all
found in the Seattle/Tacoma area. I'd love to see what other folks have found...
has anyone else found any Gale Haner tikis ?

[ This Message was edited by: puamana on 2004-08-06 11:16 ]

View Profile of puamana Send a personal message to puamana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
puamana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-06 11:21 am   Permalink

Also, a side view of the tiki :

View Profile of puamana Send a personal message to puamana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
laney
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-06 12:03 pm   Permalink

I also have a "The Woodcarver" piece. It is a colorful scool of fish with a few raised wood fish. My Hawaiian Island carvings aren't Witco but sure look it. I enjoy my knock-offs just as much because, I too, enjoy the style. I liked it before I ever knew what Witco was. My non-Witco pieces are very well made but I have seen some pretty bad carvings trying to copy the Witco style.

View Profile of laney Send a personal message to laney  Email laney     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijackalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-06 2:18 pm   Permalink

Thanks Laney and Puamana, that was the very kind of information I was after. Puamana, if you have Tiki Quest, check out page vi; there's a mask there that looks very similar to yours. And that big tiki is cool.
The masks Keigs was refering to as having been shown to Bill are some badly painted ones I picked up last month, but they have no identification attached. I've hesitantly worked on only one:

The woodgrain kinda reminds me of the special effects in the Predator movies so I obviously need to stain it or something. Before I blew off the outer burned/stained layer along with the paint, it was quite dark like the wood visible on the one below.
Here's what it looked like before:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=10106&forum=7&1
And here's another style I have:

Laney, I know what you mean by liking the stuff for just what it is. I've got a toad done in the Witco style that I've loved since I was five years old. It was my grandmother's and she left it to me. I, also, have seen the style done badly. I saw some ducks that were decent a few months ago, but the maker felt they needed cheap plastic eyes which kinda ruined them.
I couldn't find anything with google on Gale Haner; anyone else have some Witco-like stuff?

[ This Message was edited by: tikijackalope on 2004-08-25 14:34 ]

Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-07 8:08 pm   Permalink

I didn't really want to start a new thread...

Did Witco make a large galleon? I saw a wooden galleon (schooner...frigate...Man O' War...I won't pretend to know the difference)in an antique shop that looked very "Witco-ish." It was huge.

Ring a bell with anyone?

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DawnTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-07 9:01 pm   Permalink

Kono, did it look like this?

View Profile of DawnTiki Send a personal message to DawnTiki  Email DawnTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-07 9:37 pm   Permalink

No, this one was fully three dimensional. There was a base that sort of looked like driftwood that was designed to be mounted to the wall and would jut out maybe 9-12 inches or perhaps more. On the base rested the entire ship. It had two or three masts which had several sails that were furled (is that the right word?) with the wind. Every bit of it was made of wood and sort of looked like maybe it could be taken apart. It just had that Witco look. I should've just bought it, it was cheap enough, but I don't have anywhere to put it!

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DawnTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-07 9:45 pm   Permalink

Baaa! There's always room for a Witco or
Witco-like. Yes, even the viking and conquistador carvings. If you do go back and buy it I hope you can share some pictures with us.

[ This Message was edited by: DawnTiki on 2004-08-07 21:53 ]

View Profile of DawnTiki Send a personal message to DawnTiki  Email DawnTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-07 10:01 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-08-07 21:45, DawnTiki wrote:
...even the viking and conquistador carvings.

Yeah, maybe it was a Spanish Galleon, part of the Conquistador series.

I forgot to mention, it didn't have that dark burn't look that most Witco pieces have. It was lighter in color. It had that Witco heavy wood grain thing going for it though.

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-08 4:29 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-08-07 20:08, Kono wrote:

Did Witco make a large galleon? I saw a wooden galleon (schooner...frigate...Man O' War...I won't pretend to know the difference)in an antique shop that looked very "Witco-ish." It was huge.

Witco made lots of three masters, four masters, galleons, and the like, but as framed wall hangings. But I remember one galleon sculpture in the catalogues. And "huge" sounds like Witco, too. Chances are that's a real Witco.

Also, the two years before they went bust, Witco turned to blonde wood to try to keep up with the Swedish Modern look, but, alas...

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijackalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-08 6:17 pm   Permalink

bigbrotiki wrote;
Quote:
Also, the two years before they went bust, Witco turned to blonde wood to try to keep up with the Swedish Modern look, but, alas...

What year did they go bust?

bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2004-08-09 10:28 pm   Permalink

No identifying marks.....the fish are smooth and the dark lines on them appear to be burned and not painted.

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation