FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Aside from Witco, who made Witco-like tiki stuff?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Aside from Witco, who made Witco-like tiki stuff?
tikicoma
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-01-22 12:53 am   Permalink

Next up masks and wall hangings,,,

The Senufo style mask in this photo reminded me the "Pikake Hut" matchbook I have,

aloha, tikicoma

[ This Message was edited by: tikicoma 2012-01-22 00:55 ]

View Profile of tikicoma Send a personal message to tikicoma      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-22 07:48 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-01-21 22:25, tikicoma wrote:
Forgive me for hijacking this thread but I'm going to post many photos from Gale Haner's portfolio/scrapbook. First up the tikis.

Hell yeah you are forgiven, I mean this is right on the money! Spectacular for so much material to have surfaced. There is even one Witco stool in there he must have used for reference.

This again proves to me that if you really put your intention towards something, eventually it will happen! You wanted to find this.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikicoma
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-01-22 11:42 am   Permalink

Now Haner's carved wood, swag, resin chunk lamps. The book was loaned to me by the owner of a collectables shop in Tacoma. A bit over a year ago I asked him if these lamps were Witco...

He hadn't heard of Witco or Haner. These lamps are big, about three feet from point to point and he still has six, and had sold some to a lodge in Alaska and to someone in Portland. They came from an apartment building in Tacoma so when he came across the book he grabbed it because of this photo.

a smaller version of the same lamp, mystery solved. now more lamps.

Thats it for the lamps...

aloha for now, tikicoma

[ This Message was edited by: tikicoma 2012-01-22 11:44 ]

[ This Message was edited by: tikicoma 2012-01-22 18:58 ]

[ This Message was edited by: tikicoma 2012-01-22 23:54 ]

View Profile of tikicoma Send a personal message to tikicoma      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-22 11:59 am   Permalink

Great! Yet another connection between chunky resin lamps and Tiki moderne! Wish there was a photo of the first lamps in situ at their apartment building. I guess he doesn't know what the name of the apartments was?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2012-01-22 12:23 pm   Permalink

I'm loving the new life being put into this thread. Great stuff Tikicoma!!

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikicoma
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-01-22 3:24 pm   Permalink

Bigbro the apartments were the Ivanhoe, you were about 3 blocks from them in what '95, real close to the Tiki (originally Tangaroa) apts.

Finally a few of his commercial signs. The Jamaican, cool mid century apartments with tikis.

I know the caribbean wasn't polynesia but it was exotic in the 1950's-60's.

now a couple of mid-century signs...

about half of this book is commercial signs, though really good stuff and probably his bread and butter, not directly of interest to TC users. There are also a lot of other carvings birds, dogs, cats, other animals, asian and nudes.

nautical...

lastly another photo from the paper and a letter. The book is going back today. thanks for looking.

aloha, tikicoma

Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2012-01-22 3:46 pm   Permalink

Can we some Some Asian stuff before it goes back?

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-22 5:37 pm   Permalink

Dude! (expression of enthusiasm rarely used by me ) LOVE that typeface on that Jamaican sign!
I lightened up the shadows a little, the sun-dappled contrast made it hard to see. Haner was a talent at signs fer sure

And who was/is Terry Anderson?

tikicoma
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-01-22 6:55 pm   Permalink

Bora Boris the only photo I kept of the asian carvings is this one...

I know there was a seated Buddha and a few other carvings but I don't recall what they were. Funny thing, when I returned the book I looked up by the entrance and saw a Senufo mask, not by Haner but what a coincidence! (By the way I love that coffee table)

aloha, tikicoma

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-05 09:20 am   Permalink

I found these photos of the Tiki masks outside of the Jasmine Tree restaurant that were shot just before the restaurant was demolished in 2006. They look like the could be the work of Haner.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikicoma
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2017-10-09 3:31 pm   Permalink

Dusty I don't know but the mask on the bottom does look similar to one at the top of the page doesn't it.

Bora Boris I found another asian carving of his, and a mask, that I picked up a couple months ago.

The hair makes me think she's a geisha.

What his inspiration for the mask was I don't know but this mask is in one over the earlier photos of Haner standing in front of a business selling his carvings (also in that photo is the Caroline tiki carving Sven has and the tiki that Mimi has).

tikicoma
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2017-10-22 11:20 pm   Permalink

Posting Svens photo of the shrine he made after finally receiving his Haner carvings and lamp, which he staged with his Bosko and Witco's. He takes such good photos!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation