FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki Top 5 Films - Your Opinion?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
Top 5 Films - Your Opinion?
Bamboo Dude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-07 7:22 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-08-07 12:53, Sweet Daddy Tiki

Eraserhead

SDT, glad to know that someone else remembers this classic!!

View Profile of Bamboo Dude Send a personal message to Bamboo Dude      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-08-07 9:08 pm   Permalink

Since many (understanably) cannot limit their picks to just 5, in addtion to my top 5 posted earlier, I would add:

Not one movie by Jim Jarmusch mentioned yet, who is one of my all-time favorite directors. I would have to pick Stranger Than Paradise as my favorite by him, just because it was so unique and revolutionary when released. I can't count how many independent films imitated his style. One example: the black screens between scenes in Pulp Fiction were introduced in Stranger Than Paradise.

How about Fellini? I would be hard pressed to pick between 8 1/2 and La Dolce Vita, but since 8 1/2 was so impressionable on me during my young mod days I have to choose it as one of my top ten.

I'm gald others picked Jacques Tati's films among their favorites. I would say Mon Oncle is my favorite work by the genius mind of Tati.

Vintagegirl, you picked Duck Soup (one of my favorites by the Marx Bros.). I can tell you are a woman with a great sense of humor! Nevertheless, Monkey Business is my favorite by the brothers Marx, because of the comic mayhem that ensues among the stunning Art Deco ship interiors.

I have to include Hitchcock among my top ten. I agree with the others here who picked North by Northwest as their favorite by the Master.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Satan's Sin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-07 9:17 pm   Permalink

"Did you say Wing Attack, Plan R?"

-- Major Kong

For some reason that's my favorite line in a movie full of great lines.

View Profile of Satan's Sin Send a personal message to Satan's Sin  Email Satan's Sin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cynfulcynner
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-07 10:47 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-08-07 21:17, Satan's Sin wrote:
"Did you say Wing Attack, Plan R?"

"You can't fight in here, this is the WAR ROOM!"

(Fun Factoid: "Dr. Strangelove" was James Earl Jones' screen debut.)

View Profile of cynfulcynner Send a personal message to cynfulcynner      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Shipwreckjoey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-08 12:26 am   Permalink

"How many times do I gotta tell you boys, I don't want no horseplay on the airplane" - Major Kong

"Well, I think I'll mosey on down to the war room and see what's cookin' on the threatboard" - Gen Buck Turgesen

"do you think I go into combat with loose change in my pocket?" - Major Bat Guano

"I do not support the labor of capitalist stooges" - Soviet Ambassador

"mind you Mandrake, I do not make myself a stranger to women, but I do however deny them my essence" - Gen Jack T. Ripper

a few of my favorite lines from Dr. Strangelove.

another interesting factoid - when Major Kong was goig through the articles in their survival kit he said "hell, a guy could have a pretty good time in Vegas with all this". The original line was "Dallas" instead of "Vegas" but while the movie was being edited JFK was shot in Dallas so they decided to change it to Vegas in the interest of "good taste" ('60's lingo for PC)plus the two words kinda sound alike so it was no big deal.

View Profile of Shipwreckjoey Send a personal message to Shipwreckjoey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Satan's Sin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-08 07:50 am   Permalink

"Now, I ain't much of a hand for makin' speeches .... "

View Profile of Satan's Sin Send a personal message to Satan's Sin  Email Satan's Sin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
monkeyskull
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-08 5:13 pm   Permalink

"Let us now bow our heads in prayer. [Looks up] LORD, ..." -- Gen Buck Turgesen

View Profile of monkeyskull Send a personal message to monkeyskull  Email monkeyskull Goto the website of monkeyskull     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DaneTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-08 6:15 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-08-07 21:08, thejab wrote:

Not one movie by Jim Jarmusch mentioned yet, who is one of my all-time favorite directors.

What am I, chopped liver? I mentioned "Dead Man." Also, I just saw "Down by Law" (Jim Jarmusch, 1986) on the big screen. Now, I'm not exactly a huge Roberto Benigni fan, but he's awful funny in this, as are Tom Waits and John Lurie. Everyone should definitely see both films. Also, if you like Jarmusch, you should see some Aki Kaurismaki films, including "Leningrad Cowboys Go America" (Aki Kaurismaki, 1989) which features Jarmusch in a walk-on.

[ This Message was edited by: DaneTiki on 2004-08-08 18:23 ]

[ This Message was edited by: DaneTiki 2009-08-30 19:03 ]

View Profile of DaneTiki Send a personal message to DaneTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Matt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-08 6:35 pm   Permalink

Since we all love Hitchcock here's a couple that you should rent if you haven't seen or revisit if you have:

"The Birds" - Hands down, his best. Don't believe me? Watch it again. Isn't Antonio Banderas' mother in law hot?

"The Trouble With Harry" - Shirly Mclane, Charlie (before he got those irritating angels) and the Beav! Hillarious fun, Hitch at his funniest. I'm pretty sure I could watch this flick every day and never get bored!

View Profile of Tiki Matt Send a personal message to Tiki Matt  Goto the website of Tiki Matt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Shipwreckjoey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-08 6:44 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-08-08 18:15, DaneTiki wrote:
And "La Dolce Vita" is in fact one of the best movies ever made. I just felt that a lot of folx would have already seen it or at least heard of it, or it would have been in my top 5.

So true. I thought of that after I listed my FIVE & came to the conclusion that if you're any kind of film fanatic (and I think I am) you just can't narrow it down that far. I have a hard time coming up with five favorite films from any genre or period much less overall, all-time! Other movies I think got overlooked: Un Chen Andalou, the brilliant Luis Bunuel / Salvador Dali collaboration shot in 1929. Crumb, the most revealing, bare your soul documentary I've ever seen. I've watched it twenty times and I could watch it twenty more. The Last Picture Show, The Days of Wine and Roses, Petrified Forest, Dead End, Sunset Blvd...well you get the picture.

View Profile of Shipwreckjoey Send a personal message to Shipwreckjoey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Satan's Sin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-08 7:47 pm   Permalink

"You is an ungrateful man-whore!"

My second-favorite movie line of all time.

ZebraTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-08 10:24 pm   Permalink

"Deuce Bigalow Male Gigolo"! Should probably be under "guilty pleasure", with lines like, "Don't make me he-bitch man-slap you!"

In no order after the first:
"Casablanca"
"Raiders of the Lost Ark"
"Rushmore", "Bottle Rocket"

"The Royal Tenenbaums" ("He died valiantly trying to rescue his family from a sinking ship" One of Royal's exaggerations, or was he the sinking ship?)

Jaws (Peter Benchley's father suggested "What's That Noshin' on My Laig" as the title)

And for general wackiness: "The Great Race"

Almost any movie using an animation sequence to illustrate travel with an airplane leaving a dotted line trail over a map. Extra points if the countries have their names printed on the map! I'd like to think that this is an homage to "Casablanca".

Watch "Ed Wood" (this may make you buy a Korla Pandit CD), then watch the real "Plan 9 From Outer Space". Strictly for people with way too much free time.

View Profile of ZebraTiki Send a personal message to ZebraTiki  Email ZebraTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Satan's Sin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-08 11:12 pm   Permalink

"Home? I have no home. The jungle is my home! Hunted. Despised! Living like an animal! But I will show the world who is its master -- by building a race of atomic supermen!"

Shipwreckjoey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-09 12:22 am   Permalink

In the immortal words of Ed Wood - "Cut! that's a print!" Ed Wood's movies weren't "movies" in the conventional sense of the word in the 1950's. They were more like Worhol but on a smaller scale. I don't sit around soaking up Ed Wood movies all day long, but I am glad he got the chance to make 'em and there's people who still watch 'em.

Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-09 05:06 am   Permalink

Quote:

[i]
Not one movie by Jim Jarmusch mentioned yet, who is one of my all-time favorite directors. I would have to pick Stranger Than Paradise as my favorite by him, just because it was so unique and revolutionary when released. I can't count how many independent films imitated his style. One example: the black screens between scenes in Pulp Fiction were introduced in Stranger Than Paradise.

Stranger than Paradise is his best film. It was the first time I heard the fantastic Screaming Jay Hawkins. Highly recommended.

View Profile of Kon-Hemsby Send a personal message to Kon-Hemsby  Email Kon-Hemsby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation