FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Beyond Tiki » » Top 5 Films - Your Opinion?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
Top 5 Films - Your Opinion?
Tiki Chris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-09 09:47 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-08-06 21:37, Feelin' Zombified wrote:
Oh Crap, I almost forgot Ingmar Bergman's The Seventh Seal.

Bergman slipped my mind too! The Seventh Seal is a great one. Wild Strawberries is brilliant too! & features Max Von Sydow's first on screen appearance.

View Profile of Tiki Chris Send a personal message to Tiki Chris  Email Tiki Chris Goto the website of Tiki Chris     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DaneTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-09 11:26 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-08-08 18:44, Shipwreckjoey wrote:
Crumb, the most revealing, bare your soul documentary I've ever seen. I've watched it twenty times and I could watch it twenty more.

WOW! That's more intestinal fortitude than I will ever be able to claim. If I had watched "Crumb" 20 times I would be doped up on Thorazine and bouncing off the walls. That movie ranks right up there with "Nil by Mouth" (Gary Oldman, 1997) and "Intimacy" (Patrice Chereau, 2001) as one of the most depressing, soul-searing films I have ever seen. Not that that's bad or anything, but I have lost the crust of jadedness that used to protect me from horrible emotions like the ones engendered by those films.

[ This Message was edited by: DaneTiki 2009-08-30 19:02 ]

View Profile of DaneTiki Send a personal message to DaneTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-08-09 11:49 am   Permalink

On 2004-08-08 18:15, DaneTiki wrote:
Quote:

What am I, chopped liver? I mentioned "Dead Man." Also, I just saw "Down by Law" (Jim Jarmusch, 1986) on the big screen. Now, I'm not exactly a huge Roberto Benigni fan, but he's awful funny in this, as are Tom Waits and John Lurie. Everyone should definitely see both films.

Oops, I missed that! Sorry!

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Cocktail
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-09 7:34 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-08-07 11:50, The Ragin' Rarotongan wrote:
\ Being only 29, I have seen countless movies, and I do appreciate that some of you are older, but I can't really do black and white movies to often. I grew up with color, stereo sound, and then surround sound. I have seen most of the old standby classics ...but I am mostly a fan of movies within my lifetime with a few exceptions.

I hope the same criteria doesn't apply to drinks. If so, then any cocktail that was created before 1975 would be verboten. Whoops, that includes almost everything in, say, the Grog Log or Trader Vic's Cocktail book.

You kids and your video games! It's a little known fact (and I shouldn't be telling you this) but people born before 1970 can ONLY see in Black and White.

I don't have a top 5 "movies" list as "movies" are too new-fangled for me. I prefer the magic-lantern shows the traveling man puts on once a year.

YAHOOOO, them dancing girls are PURDY!

View Profile of Atomic Cocktail Send a personal message to Atomic Cocktail  Goto the website of Atomic Cocktail     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Feelin' Zombified
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-09 8:26 pm   Permalink

Quote:

[i]On 2004-08-09 19:34, Atomic Cocktail people born before 1970 can ONLY see in Black and White.

and those of us who were born IN 1970 can only see in plaid.

Plaid pants to be exact.

-Z

Thank God The Tiki Bar Is Open
Thank God The Tiki Torch Still Shines...

View Profile of Feelin' Zombified Send a personal message to Feelin' Zombified  Email Feelin' Zombified     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikibelle
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-08-09 11:05 pm   Permalink

You poor, poor people!
Now HERE are some good movies. (although I couldn’t commit to a fifth)

City of Angels
Matrix
Princess Bride
Dogma

Other movies for consideration:

My Big Fat Greek Wedding
Leaving Las Vegas
Goonies
Ferris Bueller's Day off
Clue
Sixth Sense
A Knights Tale
Peter Pan (the new live action)
Anne of Green Gables / Anne of Avonlea

View Profile of Tikibelle Send a personal message to Tikibelle  Email Tikibelle Goto the website of Tikibelle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki-riviera
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-09 11:16 pm   Permalink

As if written on a tablet and handed down from the mountain top, here are the five greatest movies in no particular order....

1. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
2. Plan 9 from Outer Space
3. Faster Pussycat, Kill Kill!!
4. Biloxi Blues
5. East of Eden

View Profile of tiki-riviera Send a personal message to tiki-riviera  Email tiki-riviera     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2004-08-09 11:43 pm   Permalink

Red Rock West
The Last Seduction
U-Turn
Romeo Is Bleeding
2 Days In The Valley
Jackie Brown

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-10 12:34 am   Permalink

Rocky I, Rocky II, Rocky III, Rocky IV, Rocky V.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stuff-o-rama
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-10 03:07 am   Permalink

I love Dead Man! When Billy Bob Thornton starts obsessing over Johnny Depp's hair and says, "How do you get your hair so dang shiny? My hair's like ole' barn hay..." it kills me everytime!

Two GUILTY Pleasure movies that always cheer me up when I'm down

Village of the Giants

Crazy teens eat some "goo" become giant and take over the town. Ron Howard is the boy genius who creats the "goo" and tests it on some ducks who grow 10 times their size then go where all ducks go... The Whisky A-Go-Go!

The ruffian teens see the crazy ducks pogoing to the Beau Brummels Band and want a piece of the action... craziness and Barris hot rods ensue. Stars Tommy Kirk, Beau Bridges and Joy Harmon. Crazy Daddy, Ca-ray-zee!

Also, The Dancing Outlaw

Jesco White is one of the last remaining Mountain Tap Dancers in West Virgina. He is also one gass huffin' Elvis Impersonatin' wife beating sumbitch. An actual documentary made by PBS' "Different Drummer" series, this hour of jam packed entertainment will scare the hell out of you and charm the pants off you at the same time. If you're lucky enough to find a "director's cut" you can enjoy an additional 45 minutes of slack jawed entertainment.

[ This Message was edited by: stuff-o-rama on 2004-08-10 03:10 ]

View Profile of stuff-o-rama Send a personal message to stuff-o-rama  Goto the website of stuff-o-rama     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Artiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-08-10 05:23 am   Permalink

After much deliberation, my top five films for this hour are.....
(In no particular order)
Monty Python's Life of Brian
The Usual Suspects
The Seventh Seal
The Godfather II

Ask me again tomorrow and I reckon there will be at least three changes.

View Profile of Artiki Send a personal message to Artiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Geeky Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-10 07:56 am   Permalink

Dang, I plumb forgot "Hewig And The Angry Inch."

The "Bad Santa" DVD is getting better with each viewing.

View Profile of Geeky Tiki Send a personal message to Geeky Tiki  Email Geeky Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Chris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-10 08:15 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-08-10 03:07, stuff-o-rama wrote:
Also, The Dancing Outlaw

Jesco White is one of the last remaining Mountain Tap Dancers in West Virgina. He is also one gass huffin' Elvis Impersonatin' wife beating sumbitch. An actual documentary made by PBS' "Different Drummer" series, this hour of jam packed entertainment will scare the hell out of you and charm the pants off you at the same time. If you're lucky enough to find a "director's cut" you can enjoy an additional 45 minutes of slack jawed entertainment.

how could i forget jesco (jessie & elvis too)?

one of the MOST inspiring moments in cinema is the "i'm tired of eatin' sloppy, slimey eggs" scene. oh god it's so flippin' depraved! the "costly shades" scene is classic too!

View Profile of Tiki Chris Send a personal message to Tiki Chris  Email Tiki Chris Goto the website of Tiki Chris     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Matt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-10 08:33 am   Permalink

I think we Americans have cornered the market on cinema (I truly believe we do it best), but here are some of my favorite foreign films (only 1 was mentioned in my first post - Rashomon). You all should go out and rent these today, I mean it...

1. The Rules of the Game (Jean Renoir) - Why none of Renoir's films have not been mentioned yet is disturbing. Like his father was to the Impressionist Movement in art, Jean is to cinema. You think Welles was inventive with "Citizen Kane"? Check out this flick! It has been said that Welles studied this film before he shot "Kane"

2. Grand Illusion (Jean Reoir) - Another masterpiece from Renoir. This could be the greatest war movie of all time. A WWI story about French POWs. Great acting, great story, great shots, GREAT MOVIE!

3. Rififi (Jules Dassin) - Though Dassin was an American filmaker (Blacklisted and forced to move to France), this one was filmed in France, written by the French, and used French actors (so I'll consider it a foreign film). Great Noir caper film about 4 guys that plan the "perfect crime", but . . . .

4. Cinema Paradiso (Giuseppe Tornatore) - If you love cinema, you'll love this film. You'll laugh and you'll cry. I love this movie.

5. Divorce Italian Style (Pietro Germi) - This could possibly be the funniest movie I have ever seen! Marcello Mastroianni at his best. The first time I saw this I was in a film class and I couldn't stop talking about it for months. This is a must see!

6. The Bicycle Thief (Vittorio De Sica) - This heartbreaking movie is one of the best in Italian Cinema. You can talk about Fellini all you want, but it doesn't get much better than this.

7. The Killer (John Woo) - Of all the John Woo / Chow Yun Fat collaborations, this is my favorite. The Restaraunt shoot out in the begining is amazing. The film also has a soul, not common with action flicks of today. If you haven't seen this one, it's a must see.

View Profile of Tiki Matt Send a personal message to Tiki Matt  Goto the website of Tiki Matt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stuff-o-rama
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-10 11:43 pm   Permalink

Quote:
how could i forget jesco (jessie & elvis too)?

one of the MOST inspiring moments in cinema is the "i'm tired of eatin' sloppy, slimey eggs" scene. oh god it's so flippin' depraved! the "costly shades" scene is classic too!

and let's not forget the Tuesday night party at the White family's trailer where the "oldest and meanest" sibling tries to run over the camera man in her pick'em up truck, the brothers spinning donuts in the front yard until they blew up the engine and the impromptu music jam in the front room. **wipes tear ** beautiful as a super double buzz!

View Profile of stuff-o-rama Send a personal message to stuff-o-rama  Goto the website of stuff-o-rama     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation