FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Mr. Dale....tiki #4, "Mo Moais moving in," page 3
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Mr. Dale....tiki #4, "Mo Moais moving in," page 3
Artiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-08-12 10:43 am   Permalink

Mr Dale, you must immediately log yourself onto Amazon and purchase the Book of Tiki. If you're producing work like this without the BOT as a source of inspiration, I can't wait to see what you'll be carving when you do.

View Profile of Artiki Send a personal message to Artiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-12 4:24 pm   Permalink

I agree with Artiki. I used to use chainsaws all the time, and grinders and sanders and chisels too. I believe in using anything possible to remove the wood as quickly as possible. Just don't let the chainsaw determine your work because beyond the chain is a whole different depth of detail. Even grinders and such can expand the detail as you will see in the future. Thanks for your kind words and keep up the good work, no matter how you do it.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Octane
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-12 4:38 pm   Permalink

I agree with Ben and Artiki, it doesn't matter what your using, chainsaw, grinder, dremel, chisel or what ever, as long as it works for you.

personally i don't like power tools, but not becuase i think they are bad or sacrallig(?) its just i don't feel comfortable with them, as they take to much material off to fast.

I don't think there is a right or wrong way to carve a tiki, and you have to remember you can't always please everyone, so just due or carve with what ever is comfortable to you.

View Profile of Octane Send a personal message to Octane      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-12 4:45 pm   Permalink

Mr. Dale,

Your work is really excellent. I've been working the opposite..on my first palm wood tiki. I thought Mallet & chisels were the way to go. About half way through I said the hell with it & bought a new Dremel Flexshaft kit. Unbelievable difference! Now I'm using the Dremel kit for the precision cuts & a chisel to take out the bulk extra wood in between. I'm still trying to figure out a happy medium - a fast way to rough things out with power tools. I'm sort of intrigued by Cheeky's reference to an "arbotech". I'm going to see if I can look this up. Can't bring myself to use a chainsaw yet - at least not on a 2-foot tiki. Now, maybe a 6 footer!

Keep carvin' and postin'. We need to see more!

- Aaron

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Dale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-12 5:40 pm   Permalink

Again guys, thanks for all the kind words.....ya all are awesome.
I figured out "BOT" was "Book of Tiki" about 2 in the morning. Its right next to my bed on the nightstand. Book of Tiki, the Bible and a couple of hot rod magazines all side by side. Its a cool thing.
And I did try chisels to start with. But I'm very comfortable with power tools and man its just so fun. And you're right Ben, it does limit the tiki as in I have to carve big and fat to get the right look to the curves and details. Any smaller and my tikis start losing limbs!
Not a good thing to carve up unhappy missing a limb tiki!
Tiki #3 is halfway done, so give me few weeks and I'll post it up!
Again, thanks.

View Profile of Mr. Dale Send a personal message to Mr. Dale  Email Mr. Dale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cheekytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-16 03:01 am   Permalink

Aaron this is an Arbortech woodcarver and fits on any small angle grinder. Unlike the chain versions it removes wood very quickly by chipping away rather than cutting.

Mr Dale what chainsaw do you use? I have a homelite with a 14" blade but I find it very heavy. I tried out a top handled Stihl with a 9" blade and its fantastic, you can use it one handed, itds sooo light.Problem is thy're around 500 new and rare as hens teeth on ebay and get snapped up!

www.cheekytiki.com
http://cheekytikiuk.blogspot.com/

"Don't drink water, fish f*~k in it" W.C. Feilds

View Profile of cheekytiki Send a personal message to cheekytiki  Email cheekytiki Goto the website of cheekytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-16 04:40 am   Permalink

Aaron, as you can see the "Arbortech is just a chainsaw type attachment you can put on a grinder instead of a disck. It has the same teeth as a chainsaw and sharens the same way and removes wood the same way. I have used them and they are great for removing wood plus you can use the grinder as a normal grinder too..

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Artiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-08-16 08:44 am   Permalink

Cheekytiki, I bought one of those grinder attachments when I first started carving, but I took it back unused. I was too chicken to use it, are they easy to carve with? It looks very vicious and very close to your fingers!

View Profile of Artiki Send a personal message to Artiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-16 2:24 pm   Permalink

Cheeky,

Thanks for responding (I sent the question to Cheeky as a PM, but I'm glad he shared on Mr. Dale's post). These pictures are super helpful, because the Arbortech is a british brand that I've never seen here. I never knew you could put a "chainsaw disk" in a grinder. This is great because I already have the grinder - I just need to buy the disk. The whole idea of using a chainsaw seems a little unweildy to me. Kind of like using a sledge hammer to nail in a tack.

By the way, I hate get Mr. Dale's string "off track", BUT.....

All of us fledgling TC carvers would greatly benefit if some of the real expert carvers like Benzart, Cheeky, Chiki, Gecko, etc.. (Hate to leave anyone out, but you all probably get the idea) would start a new post with some digital photos of their favorite and most useful carving tools.

I'm sure this would be a much viewed, much appreciated post that would be of real benefit to the all of the newer TC carvers.

Just an idea....

Now who wants to start???!!???

Thanks again, Cheeky.

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-08-16 4:11 pm   Permalink

That's one cool grinder attachment!

Mr dale...Your tikis are awesome! It's hard to believe these are your first. I'd say too that there's a little bit of "hot rodding" in their designs too (it might be the pic of you with the cowboy hat that influenced that statement...but I dunno)

They look tiki-goulish, like if the tikis from the tiki room decided to replace the 3 hitchhiking ghosts in the haunted mansion...this is what we would see.

Keep carvin and posting! Can't wait to see more

BTW - I agree that however you get your tiki done is the correct way to do it. As a chisel/grinder guy I have the utmost respect for chainsaw carvers, I don't know how you can control those things to make such fine cuts.
keep 'em coming!

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Dale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-13 4:14 pm   Permalink

Hey all you beautiful tiki heads...........
I finally finished tiki #3.....I call him "Fu"
He's 36" tall and 18" across.......
I "borrowed" an image from a pair of boxer shorts my wife bought years ago and then changed things quite a bit.
I know these things change as they go and "talk" back about how they want be....but this little fellow came out looking a LOT like Don Quixote. I have a mexican / spanish Don Quixote statue that is just the coolest. But I didn't plan for this.
So....heres my Spanish tiki..
Adios and Mahalo.......

View Profile of Mr. Dale Send a personal message to Mr. Dale  Email Mr. Dale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Sperm Whale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-13 5:07 pm   Permalink

Excellent work!!!! Hey I love the Pink Flammingo's as well. Please post more pic's when you make more.

View Profile of The Sperm Whale Send a personal message to The Sperm Whale  Email The Sperm Whale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Raffertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-13 6:21 pm   Permalink

Nice piece! It has a very primal vibe. Maybe you were a headhunter in your past life.

View Profile of Raffertiki Send a personal message to Raffertiki  Email Raffertiki Goto the website of Raffertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-09-13 10:20 pm   Permalink

Nice work! Day of the dead tiki!
too cool dale, too cool.

Keep 'em coming!

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Artiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-09-14 2:18 pm   Permalink

That's another cracking piece of work. Well done.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation