FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Mr. Dale....tiki #4, "Mo Moais moving in," page 3
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Mr. Dale....tiki #4, "Mo Moais moving in," page 3
Mr. Dale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-14 5:26 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the compliments. I really liked doing this one.
"Cracking piece of work" man, thats funny, Artiki, you crack me up.
I get the end pieces from a friend who builds log cabins. He builds it all outside and just leaves these ends in a big pile. So by the time I get them they've been laying out in the weather for a couple of years or more. Not good for a 150+ year old tree. But I think the cracks bring up the coolness level. Just my opinion. I could actually hear this guy cracking more as I carved him out in the sun.

View Profile of Mr. Dale Send a personal message to Mr. Dale  Email Mr. Dale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-14 5:41 pm   Permalink

I also get my wood from the ends of log homes, mine havent been exposed to the elements as much.
Love the finish on the last one. What did you use?

View Profile of rodeotiki Send a personal message to rodeotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Dale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-15 08:11 am   Permalink

Hey rodeotiki....were both on #3 huh? Its good, I don't feel so alone with these veterans.
I burnt the deep areas with my acetylene torch, sanded that down. Then I layered on a couple of coats of a dark Minwax stain, American something, I can't remember what right now, old age kickin in.
And last I put on five coats of Marine Varnish. And a few more just on the top to seal it.
Benzart puts on like 12 layers of marine varnish for the ones sitting outside.
But I'll have to do some research. I can't get that many on without it looking gummed up. His and others on this board always look so smooth.
Maybe I need to sand more. But man, I HATE sanding. Boring. Carving and chipping is the thing. Thats fun. And drinking rum and sharing it with the Tiki to bring it in to the world! Hell yeah..........

View Profile of Mr. Dale Send a personal message to Mr. Dale  Email Mr. Dale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-15 1:41 pm   Permalink

Looks great Mr. Dale. That guy looks pretty big in the photo. Hard to believe its only 3 ft. tall. All that deep carving really ads dimension and scale. I like the design. Do you draw these up on paper, or just outline them on the log & let the chips fly?

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-15 5:36 pm   Permalink

Wow...nice, original stuff, Dale...just saw these. Good work...

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-16 09:58 am   Permalink

I guess I hadn't seen this one either. Wild look with enough teeth to rip off your head in one bite, fearsome. Cool and nice detail. Mr. Dale you are catching on quick. About the sanding part, It's not importand unless you want a smoothe, finished look, for which you have to sand and sand and then sand some more. Oh and did I mention you have to sand and sand BETWEEN the coats of Varnish or whatever finish you use? You do. The old setup I had with the 5" Makita sander connected to a speed control with a 1" thick foam pad always worked best for me.
You have sucessfully completed lesson 3 and now on to lesson 4. Get another log, tools , and Plenty sandpaper...........

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Dale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-18 1:29 pm   Permalink

Thanks AA for the compliments, I just draw on the log and go. If not, I feel I'll lose much of the spontaneity.
B. Kahuna. thanks also. You're one of the reasons I started doing this whole tiki thing. Your work has always been amazing.
And Mr. Ben, thanks again for all your help. I guess I gotta learn to like sanding.
yuck. I thought it was just bad varnish or dry Colo. air. Live and learn, and sand away like sand in the shorts. Sand til' it hurts! Yahoo! Mahalo, Dale

Mr. Dale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-17 10:52 pm   Permalink

Aloha all you awesome tiki freaks........
This is my latest little guy. I did a Moai, but I didn't stick with original design.....I love Moais but that kissy faced lips thing just kills it for me.
So I carved mine more in the image of my Grandpa Guy. A So Dakota gold miner who always has this set jaw look about him even when he's smiling.

This here Moai is almost 5' tall and 20" around. I tried a lighter stain this time, I think I prefer them darker, but hey, live and learn. I also used Poly. instead of Varnish. Seemed to dry faster in the cold than the varnish did, so that was good, we'll see how lasts. It has six coats.

He started life as a Montana Engleman spruce. Now he's a set jaw Maoi hanging out in the snows of Colorado.

I thought a Moai would be somewhat easier....ha, uhh no. They're not. Lots of design things to 'em you don't notice until you start really looking. But still brother, just as fun.

I named him "Mo". I hope you enjoy.

cheekytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-18 04:53 am   Permalink

Cool moai, looks very staunch, he's got his spot and no ones gonna move him

View Profile of cheekytiki Send a personal message to cheekytiki  Email cheekytiki Goto the website of cheekytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-18 06:55 am   Permalink

I guess I would look that unhappy if I was standing out in the snow too. When you are used to warm sunny beaches, the snow can make you irritable. Nice one MrDale. Decieving little suckers aren't they, those Moai. They look Sooo Simmple until you start trying to fit all the pieces together, when you realize there are a few complicated translations to get unjumbled. You did it tho. Keep it up

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-01-18 9:16 pm   Permalink

Ooh Man, Dale! you do a nice job!

I dig the look on that Moai - that lower lip is a very cool "mr. Dale" touch. You got skills! Yeah, those Moais look easy 'till you start carvin' them....

THanks for the picture and to be honest - rather than looking cold there (which I'm sure it is) it actually looks like it snowed in polynesia.

did anyone ever end up purchasing the carvings you had at the shag show?

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-18 9:35 pm   Permalink

Keep those torches burnin' Mr. Dale. The next luau's right around the corner. Forget the snow, it's tiki time!

Your Moai looks like he could care less. I've seen that same expression on my 3-year old's face many times, & it's called DEFIANCE!

That is so excellent. Glad to see your newest back on the board. I really like your interpretation on the moai theme.

A-A

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seamus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-19 09:35 am   Permalink

Excellent work Mr. Dale ! Welcome to the group(I just found this thread too). Do you have any other local friends into Tiki, or are you pretty much alone in your quest to surround yourself with these mysterious idols ? Have you tried doing any Tikis in metal yet? Please post when you do. I have a friend who does really great aquatic themed metal art, like sharks and sea turtles, but I have not yet been able to get him to do a Tiki. If I had the gear at my disposal, I'd love to be putting up some big scary steel Tikis!

[ This Message was edited by: seamus on 2005-01-19 09:42 ]

View Profile of seamus Send a personal message to seamus  Email seamus Goto the website of seamus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Dale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-20 5:24 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the happy returns everybody. Moais are kinda cool, kinda the laid back tikis just checking it all out and don't need to impress anybody....
I think I'll do more over time with different expressions and just completely fill in my yard.
Poly........Yeah, I did sell that little headhunter looking head, a lady at the show bought it for her Tiki bar basement. I was very happy to say the least.
A-A, you got a young un' too huh? Aren't they awesome? So much work but so much fun. Makes it hard to run a chain saw during nap time tho.
Seamus, I've heard of people making steel tikis but I have yet to see one. I been told I should try but my steel work and my tikis are night and day from each other, except that they are both figurative.
Maybe I'll give it a go sometime, but I have to do a few steelies I have in mind first.
Yeah, there are a few tiki freaks hanging out in Denver. They just seem to show up at my doorstep every now and then.
Its kinda cool.

[ This Message was edited by: Mr. Dale on 2005-01-20 17:25 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Mr. Dale on 2005-01-20 17:27 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation