FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki tiki mug help!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
tiki mug help!
midnite
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-09-14 2:34 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2002-09-13 22:38, fatuhiva wrote:

I have a collection of about 12 different Ren Clark's pieces- I'm getting ready to move right now- they are all boxed up, but in a few months I'll take some pics.

there are ren clark mugs in the form of his signature tiki, i have two different colors, a salt shaker of same milan guanko designed tiki, the head, and a few other weird tiki mugs from the place. I also have a plate, a cloth napkin, a menu, etc

Signature tiki? What's that look like? Pics, we need pics! Hope you can get some soon.

midnite

View Profile of midnite Send a personal message to midnite      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbadtikidaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-09-16 2:31 pm   Permalink

This weekend at a g-sale I found a tiki mug/cocktail glass that I've never seen before. I scored some other vintage hawaiian stuff with it & I know it has some age to it.
it kind of reminds me of the Tahitian Lanai mugs I've seen with "carved" lettering. It is green & kind of drum shaped.
on one side it says:
"Stolen From"
& the other side says"
"Bill Kolans Mokuleia"
Anybody heard of or have any info on this place?

View Profile of bigbadtikidaddy Send a personal message to bigbadtikidaddy  Email bigbadtikidaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nimereht
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2002-09-17 10:50 am   Permalink

hey, just in case anyone cares, a friend of mine knows someone that is a sculpter...he has seen the headhunter mug and is going to make his own version of it...

if it ever happens i'll be sure to post it here...

View Profile of nimereht Send a personal message to nimereht  Goto the website of nimereht     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbadtikidaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-14 6:24 pm   Permalink

Wow, I just got this email in regards to this post I made over two years ago!:

"I saw your posting regarding the mug marked Bill Kolans on the tikiroom board.

Bill Kolans was a PhD professor in Hawaii up until about 20 years ago. He was born there. He is an expert on the Polynesian culture, and I believe his degree is in anthropology. He left there upon retirement and sailed around the world with his wife. She died, and he settled in the French Polynesian Island of Raiatea (the cultural and religious center of the islands). I visited there in 1998 and took one of his tours. I think he is still giving tours, even though he must be hitting about 80 years of age. He is the guy that came up with the theory that the original Polynesians came from SE Asia to the island of french Polynesia, then from there migrated to Easter Island, Hawaii, NZ, etc. DNA studies have now proven his theory to be correct.

Maybe he gave all of his stuff away when he retired and sailed around the world, or when he decided to move to Raiatea."

Interesting! One step closer to solving the mystery.
Maybe the mug was a give-away/souvenir from one of his tours?

View Profile of bigbadtikidaddy Send a personal message to bigbadtikidaddy  Email bigbadtikidaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation