FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Mai Kai, Fort Lauderdale, FL (restaurant)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
Mai Kai, Fort Lauderdale, FL (restaurant)
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-09 7:14 pm   Permalink

Name:Mai Kai
Type:restaurant
Street:3599 N Federal Hwy
City:Fort Lauderdale
State:FL
Zip:33308-6
Phone:(954) 563-3272

Description:
Quoted from their site: (the best description I can find!)

\"Escape to one of the most unique dining and entertainment places in all of South Florida. Since 1956, it has captivated people with its warmth and magical aura. The Mai-Kai authentically recreates a Polynesian Village, complete with tiki torches, a thatch roof, and a wooden plank bridge entrance\"

The only way to truly appreciate this place is to go there. The Tiki Road Trip has this one listed as MECA, and that just barely touches it!

The food is absolutly fabulous and the only bad thing I can say for the drinks is the price.

This one is worth the trip!

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKI DAVID
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-10 10:22 am   Permalink

I was there in june,LOVE the place.bought out the gift shop{almost} . very ,very, disapointed in the condition theY let the outdoor tikis fall into.rotting,and falling apart.seems to me the could do a better job of restoation.still,the food ,show and interior were tops, TD

View Profile of TIKI DAVID Send a personal message to TIKI DAVID  Email TIKI DAVID     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-10 1:28 pm   Permalink

Tiki David,
The outdoor tikis are very well cared for, but you must recall that many of them have been in that garden for 50 years...

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTikiTavi
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-08-10 3:58 pm   Permalink

For those of you that have not visited The Mai Kai, here are a few photos to inspire you to make the trip...

The Outdoor Garden and Seating Area

In The Garden Looking Toward The Restaurant

Outdoor Dining Area

Some Hot Torches

The Gift Shop

One Last Look At The Garden Path

View Profile of TikiTikiTavi Send a personal message to TikiTikiTavi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKI DAVID
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-25 07:43 am   Permalink

SWANKY, you need to go again and take a closer look,a couple of the outdoor tiki's have chunks of wood just shoved into dryrotting holes ,no attempt to even repair or restore. sad... TD

View Profile of TIKI DAVID Send a personal message to TIKI DAVID  Email TIKI DAVID     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-25 11:32 am   Permalink

There are attempts to save and restore. They are diligently fighting insects and rot. They are looking right now for experts to fix and restore some of the pieces. I was there last month.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKI DAVID
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-29 09:04 am   Permalink

I hpoe you are right,TD

RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-29 09:58 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-08-25 07:43, TIKI DAVID wrote:
SWANKY, you need to go again and take a closer look,a couple of the outdoor tiki's have chunks of wood just shoved into dryrotting holes ,no attempt to even repair or restore. sad... TD

Is this guy serious??

TD, 50 years man! History!

You want new? Go to Target!!

Arrrrrrrrrrr!!

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKI DAVID
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-30 1:55 pm   Permalink

see the dog,his name is spot see the dog run ,run spot run. Read carefullynow,no effort to {ready? here it comes....}RESTORE OR REPAIR,never said replace with new. TD

Mrs. B
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-30 9:54 pm   Permalink

So, are you Spot?
Do you do repairs?

View Profile of Mrs. B Send a personal message to Mrs. B      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
NeptuneTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-09-04 3:17 pm   Permalink

One of the neatest things about the Mai Kai is the weathered down tikis in the awesome gardens. The Mai Kai takes you back in time. Neptune Tiki and I had a blast taking photos with all the tikis throughout the gardens and in the restaurant last January. Restoration is not necessary. We cannot wait to go back during the Hukilau!
Neptune Wahine

View Profile of NeptuneTiki Send a personal message to NeptuneTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hala bullhiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-08 11:17 am   Permalink

more pics!!!, more pics!!!!.....seein these are really gettin me psyched for hukilau!!!!!

View Profile of hala bullhiki Send a personal message to hala bullhiki  Email hala bullhiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Ragin' Rarotongan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-11 10:07 am   Permalink

Yeah, One thing I do like about living in South Fla is being close to this slice of paradise. I try to hit Happy Hour once in a while.
"Want a beer?'"...."It's 7:00 in the morning!"...."Scotch?"...."Not during working hours."

View Profile of The Ragin' Rarotongan Send a personal message to The Ragin' Rarotongan  Email The Ragin' Rarotongan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Rick
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-09-30 1:02 pm   Permalink

My wife and I made our first visit in March this year and we were bowled over to say the least. This is a must see for any Tikiphile and an act of holy pilgrimage and obligation! It may be the last of its kind. We try to make it down at least twice a year and we always stay right around the corner at an old googie motel that used to be called the Polynesian that still has tikis embedded in the outside walls. This hotels bar used to be tiki but it was long ago changed into some sort of nothing kareoke/country/frat crap bar. They need to get wise and go retro! Bring back the tiki you whimps and cash in big!!!

View Profile of Trader Rick Send a personal message to Trader Rick  Email Trader Rick     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hala bullhiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-30 8:41 pm   Permalink

hukilau was my first mai kai experience, and one i will tell my kids and grand kids about, absolutely breathtaking.........i now feel lucky to have visited the 3 most amazing tiki temples in my mind...(mai kai,hala kahiki,bali hai).......i got engaged at hukilau (on the beach at the ocean late thursday night,) and when we got home, we actually called the mai kai for info on if they do weddings there...........it really is a magical place.....

[ This Message was edited by: hala bullhiki on 2004-10-01 19:14 ]

View Profile of hala bullhiki Send a personal message to hala bullhiki  Email hala bullhiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation