FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Locating Tiki » » Mai Kai, Fort Lauderdale, FL (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
Mai Kai, Fort Lauderdale, FL (restaurant)
Philot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-07 7:36 pm   Permalink

Wow, I knew TC was a fount of tiki knowledge, but I'm bowled over at getting such comprehensive responses so quickly! Thanks guys!

My in-laws are in Boynton Beach, but it seems every time we get down there, we never get the opportunity to slip away for the evening. Here's hoping to make it sooner than later.

View Profile of Philot Send a personal message to Philot      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-08 05:44 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-04-07 16:16, GatorRob wrote:
Chip, were you meaning Samoa instead of Moorea? Moorea is still more-or-less part of the "show room" and so gets the full on loud show sounds. Tahiti and Samoa (my personal faves) are nice and quiet with just the right level of exotica and Polynesian-tinged music playing as you enjoy your dinner.

Yes, thank you, I meant Samoa and Tahiti.

Moorea has an outrigger canoe hanging from the ceiling and there is a story for the canoe.... Mrs. Thorton (who was not yet Mrs Thorton) sailed the canoe across the lagoon that used to be in front of the Mai Kai during the wedding ceremony where she became Mrs Thorton.

If you do sit in 'the back' for dinner you have to at least walk through Samoa because that is where the Shrunken Heads are!

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-08 09:00 am   Permalink

Poof-a-doof !! I signed up for a Southwest Airlines credit card and they sent me vouchers for two 1-way trips. To my surprise they service Ft. Lauderdale (and not Miami ?? !!) from Los Angeles. They expire at the end of the year so 2011 may be the year for my Mai Kai pilgrimage.

Can anyone recommend a cool mid-century motel in the area? A place like the Mercury astronauts might have stayed in route to Cape Canaveral. Does the Sheraton Yankee Clipper have a vintage vibe ??

Muchas Gracias.

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-08 09:00 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-04-08 05:44, Chip and Andy wrote:
Quote:

On 2011-04-07 16:16, GatorRob wrote:
Chip, were you meaning Samoa instead of Moorea? Moorea is still more-or-less part of the "show room" and so gets the full on loud show sounds. Tahiti and Samoa (my personal faves) are nice and quiet with just the right level of exotica and Polynesian-tinged music playing as you enjoy your dinner.

Yes, thank you, I meant Samoa and Tahiti.

Moorea has an outrigger canoe hanging from the ceiling and there is a story for the canoe.... Mrs. Thorton (who was not yet Mrs Thorton) sailed the canoe across the lagoon that used to be in front of the Mai Kai during the wedding ceremony where she became Mrs Thorton.

If you do sit in 'the back' for dinner you have to at least walk through Samoa because that is where the Shrunken Heads are!

I was told a different story. That canoe was brought back from Tahiti where Robert and Mirielle used it to visit her parents before marraige. All good stories!

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-08 10:10 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-04-08 09:00, JOHN-O wrote:
Can anyone recommend a cool mid-century motel in the area? A place like the Mercury astronauts might have stayed in route to Cape Canaveral. Does the Sheraton Yankee Clipper have a vintage vibe ??

Muchas Gracias.

The Clipper has been remodeled and now has a Nouveau-South-Beach-Modern vibe going, all white with hidden neon and conversation nooks. It's still very pretty, and the Wreck Bar is still a marvel to behold, but overall I can't recommend it as a place to stay unless you are a member of whatever club program the Sheraton uses.

There are lots of fun little mid-mod places in the area, I'll get back to you via PM with some of the better ones. I by better I mean places you might actually be willing to stay in without fearing for your health or safety.

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTomD
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2011-06-14 1:10 pm   Permalink

Hukilau 2011 at the Mai-Kai Part 1 of 4

To again experience the Mai-Kai is a delight that cannot be conveyed in mere words and photos, though that is all I can now offer of our Hukilau 2011 visit...

Arriving early for Saturday’s Beachbum Berry Rumposium, we wandered around the perimeter a bit.

South of the entry driveway along N. Federal Highway (US Hwy 1)...

On the north side of the entry driveway along the highway is this Mai-Kai building apparently used for storage...

The entry doors to the restaurant...

Patricia, my wife, on the left and Christina (metikigal) on the right...

Somewhat after the 2 pm scheduled starting time, the Rumposium began. Here are the featured rum experts and their host re-enacting a debate in the British House of Commons to abolish the daily rum ration for sailors in the Royal Navy; left to right are Wayne Curtis, Martin Cate, Ian Burrell, Jeff “Beachbum” Berry wearing a wig, and Stephen Remsberg...

Martin Cate’s presentation concluded with a call to join the “Legion of Rum” (leadership pictured here) as part of a Rum Revolution to recognize that “rum is the greatest spirit in the world,” “to defend the honor of rum” and “to fight for rum” (see
rumrevolution.net)...

Here is our Hukilau organizer Christie (tiki_kiliki) taking up the call to arms, rum beverage in hand...

While the Rumposium was getting organized, the Mai-Kai staff opened up beverage and appetizer service early for the participants. My wife and I each ordered strong drinks, me a Black Magic and she a Zombie. That was perhaps not the best of ideas, as numerous rum cocktail samples were offered throughout the presentations, including a high octane rum punch at the end. However, the Mai-Kai’s excellent PuPu Platter helped stave off the fog of excess for a while. The Black Magic was a huge drink and very high on the tipsy scale. It was also complex and nuanced, and, based on the description and acclaim of others, I expected this to be an instant favorite. But, like JOHN-O (see http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=37580&forum=1&vpost=593528), I found that it didn’t quite work for my palate. The wife and I both really liked her Zombie, though. I’ve yet to try many of the cocktails on the Mai-Kai’s extensive tropical drink menu, so I’m not qualified to enumerate favorites. We were seated with...

Randy and Bessie from Kansas City

Peter and Jeff from California, I think

Jeff from Eugene, Oregon

David and Donna

Christina (metikigal) and Bill from Brevard County, Florida

Sue and Patrick

To be continued...

-Tom

[ This Message was edited by: TikiTomD 2011-06-16 12:50 ]

View Profile of TikiTomD Send a personal message to TikiTomD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTomD
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2011-06-15 10:21 am   Permalink

Hukilau 2011 at the Mai-Kai Part 2 of 4

The Rumposium concluded with very little time remaining before the first dinner show was to be seated. A large crowd had already gathered behind the rope cordon at the service desk, stretching out the doorway. Concerned about getting a good seat for dinner and the show? No problem. If you’re one of the Hukilau organizers or special guests, then Christie (tiki_kiliki) has you a reserved seat at tables arrayed in a U-shape centered in front of the stage. If you’re not, you’re still in luck. The Mai-Kai has an outstanding cadre of service professionals befitting a fine restaurant... just approach the Service Captain or Maitre D’ at the entry with your request, including an offering for the special service to be rendered, and you will be given a time to return. In the meantime, you can enjoy yourself in the Molokai Bar or in the tropical gardens.

Having made dinner arrangements with the Service Captain, we proceeded to the Molokai Bar. It was already choked with people. Three very fine gentlemen from California -- JOHN-O, Caltiki Brent (congawa) and Molokai Mike -- graciously made room at their table for Pat and me to join them in the short interval before dinner. Life was good, and the puffer fish lamp beamed its approval...

After a very short interval, it was time to make our way back to the Service Captain for dinner show seating. We were led to a table in the New Guinea Room, to the left of the stage and Hukilau reserved seating, across the aisle from Martin Cate, and in a great position to view the show...

Already sauced a bit from the earlier Black Magic and Rumposium cocktail samples, I prudently chose a medium-strength tropical drink, the Mara-Amu (and you get to keep the mug). It was good. I looked around still empty tables and noticed that I was being observed...

A pleasant gentleman walking down the aisle greeted us; it was Ron Licudine, son of the original Mai-Kai master mixologist, Mariano Licudine. Here’s a great little article about the Mai-Kai, Ron and his Dad (with several drink recipes)...
http://www.winemag.com/Wine-Enthusiast-Magazine/Web-2010/The-Call-of-the-Mai-Kai-Tales-from-South-Florida-rsquos-South-Pacific/. He posed with my wife for a photo...

Soon, the adjacent tables began to fill up. Several tables away, I spied George Jenkins (TikiHardBop), the Florida Space Coast’s own master mixologist, with his wife, Chris (TornadoTiki). After they had graciously hosted us in a pre-Hukilau party at their home tiki bar, The Storm Shelter, it was my turn to pick up the drink tab. George ordered a Mai-Tai (strong) and Chris ordered a Cobra Kiss (medium strength).

Chris (TornadoTiki) and George (TikiHardBop) at the front of the photo

A gong sounded at a nearby table, signaling the arrival of a Mystery Drink delivered by the Mystery Girl. Here the lucky recipient is getting lei’d by the Mystery Girl...

For dinner, the wife and I both ordered the Prime Rib special with garlic mashed potatoes and wasabi sauce. It was a superb choice. We finished off dinner with a couple of Kona Coffee Grogs, set ablaze next to our table, a show in and of itself. It was a fine choice for a dessert drink. The stage started to come alive, first with King Kukulele (Denny Moynahan)...

Tiki_kiliki then made a number of presentations honoring key Hukilau contributors. Here’s Mireille Thornton of the Mai-Kai, who developed and managed the Mai-Kai Polynesian show...

The Mai-Kai Polynesian show, authentic and always great fun to watch, seemed, if possible, even better since our last visit...

By the time the first dinner show had concluded, the folks for the second dinner show were clamoring for seating. It was time to go seek out the Tikiyaki Orchestra performance in the Tahiti Room. The band had gathered in the gardens for a quick photo shoot...

We ran into a choke point trying to get into the Tahiti Room where band was set to play (phinz separately noted that the adjacent Samoa Room had available seating, but we regretfully overlooked that and gave up too easily).

Saturday’s Hukilau encounter at the Mai-Kai displayed offscale high on every active parameter of my tiki meter: atmosphere, drink quality, drink presentation, service, food, entertainment, historical setting and overall experience. And there was yet more to come on Sunday...

To be continued...

-Tom

[ This Message was edited by: TikiTomD 2011-06-16 12:49 ]

View Profile of TikiTomD Send a personal message to TikiTomD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-15 1:11 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-04-08 10:10, Chip and Andy wrote:
Quote:

On 2011-04-08 09:00, JOHN-O wrote:

Muchas Gracias.

The Clipper has been remodeled and now has a Nouveau-South-Beach-Modern vibe going, all white with hidden neon and conversation nooks. It's still very pretty, and the Wreck Bar is still a marvel to behold, but overall I can't recommend it as a place to stay unless you are a member of whatever club program the Sheraton uses.

There are lots of fun little mid-mod places in the area, I'll get back to you via PM with some of the better ones. I by better I mean places you might actually be willing to stay in without fearing for your health or safety.

i would recommend the blarney castle - once you get past the old-country kitsch in the registration area, the open foyer around the swimming pool is pure midcentury cool.
http://travel.yahoo.com/p-hotel-12304073-blarney_castle_motel-i

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WestADad
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2011-06-15 2:25 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the pictures Tiki Tom!

Chris

View Profile of WestADad Send a personal message to WestADad  Email WestADad     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTomD
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2011-06-16 07:15 am   Permalink

Chris (WestADad), glad you’re enjoying the photos.

Hukilau 2011 at the Mai-Kai Part 3 of 4

Sunday brought the promise of Mai-Kai treasures to be revealed from the archives. When we arrived at the Mai-Kai around 1:30 pm, Caltiki Brent was already there on the bench outside surrounded by his travel bags. He intended to stay as long as he could before departing for a late afternoon flight back to California. His pleasant company made the time pass quickly. Soon, the doors to our tiki palace opened, admitting us to either the Molokai Bar, or to Mai-Kai scrap books, photos and displays set up on tables in front of the stage. We immediately vectored left into the Molokai Bar, having had precious little time to enjoy its tiki-nautical setting, conveying a sense that one might be inside a wooden sailing vessel of yore...

This looks like one of the recast tikis from AlohaStation’s thread (
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=26630&forum=1&vpost=488324)...

A later photo after the torches were lit...

The Mai-Kai treated us royally, opening up the bar early for cocktails and appetizers. The service staff was really tired, many having stayed as late as 4 am Sunday morning from the Hukilau main event of Saturday night, but they remained cordial and attentive as ever.

I noticed that a bevy of lovely Molokai Maidens tended to cluster at my end of the bar, to my delighted surprise. Being an engineer, it came as no blow to my ego when my wife later told me that there was a heater located below the bar at my station. Without many bodies yet in the bar, it was quite cool and the ladies in their scant attire were merely trying to stay warm. It wasn’t at all obvious, but one of the ladies had confided this to my wife while I was on break. I have committed the location to memory for future use. Here are those beautiful young Molokai Maidens...

For cocktail starters, my wife again ordered a Zombie (strong), her favorite Mai-Kai drink. It’s certainly one of mine, as well. I tried the Mai-Kai’s Mai-Tai (strong), a lovely presentation with a nice flavor...

For an appetizer, we shared the Javanesian Beef. It was delicious, one I’d highly recommend. Some of our Hukilau friends and acquaintances were by now also enjoying the ambrosia of the Molokai, among them...

Caltiki Brent (congawa)

Christina (metikigal) and Bill

Mike Jones

To be continued...

-Tom

[ This Message was edited by: TikiTomD 2011-06-16 12:48 ]

TikiTomD
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2011-06-16 12:46 pm   Permalink

Hukilau 2011 at the Mai-Kai Part 4 of 4

In the interest of urban archaeology, I forced myself away from drink, food and the lovely Molokai Maidens (only for a while) and made my way over to the Mai-Kai memorabilia display...

Pia Dahlquist, Mai-Kai’s Sales and Marketing Director, assembled and patiently hosted the displays. She kindly posed for this photo last Friday at the Bahia Mar Commodore Ballroom...

Kern Mattei, Mai-Kai’s General Manager, took time out to greet his Sunday Hukilau guests...

Ron Licudine, son of the original Mai-Kai master mixologist, Mariano Licudine, was there to talk about his Dad and their life experiences. Here Ron posed after signing my Hukilau poster...

Ron inscribed “Dad would be so proud” on the poster, so I asked him to explain why. Two reasons: (1) the Mai-Kai’s faithful adherence to his Dad’s original drink recipes to this very day, and (2) the presence of so many Hukilau participants supportive and appreciative of the Mai-Kai and all that it represents.

From the archives, here’s Mariano Licudine pouring Derby Daiquiris, a drink that he invented (pardon the photo angularity necessary to avoid camera flash)...

Here’s a closeup photo of the special glassware designed for the Derby Daiquiri; Ron explained that the Mai-Kai eventually gave up serving in these, as the stems kept breaking off at the jockey’s head...

More recognition of Ron’s Dad for the Derby Daiquiri...

Mariano Licudine was present when the Mai-Kai opened in December 1956 and retired in 1979. He passed away the following year, in 1980.

After enough archaeology, Ron and I returned to the Molokai Bar to toast his Dad with a couple of Derby Daiquiris, joined in the toast by Martin Cate. The Derby Daiquiri is a mild drink, but one I really like. Ron approved the flavor profile as true to the original, observing only that the ice in the drinks we were served was blended a bit finer than his Dad prescribed.

As the afternoon waned, Patrick Kenneson, the stalwart Mai-Kai Service Captain who had faced without flinching overwhelming Hukilau hordes at dinner show time, took me aside for a special tour of the private employee lounge. There we were joined by Angel Vega, the Mai-Kai's Maitre D’, who has worked at the Mai-Kai since 1965 (Angel on the left, Patrick on the right)...

Patrick’s association with the Mai-Kai goes back to his youth, when he played on the championship-winning Mai-Kai softball team (see Patrick, the “wild-man” standing on second row, extreme left)...

Here’s evidence of Patrick’s golf prowess (bottom plaque, top of 1982 winner list)...

Centered on a wall in the employee’s lounge was this memorial plaque dedicated by the Mai-Kai employees to Bob Thornton, original owner of the Mai-Kai along with his brother, Jack...

This dinner menu from long ago was framed and posted nearby (photo angled to avoid camera flash)...

On Sunday I didn’t see one individual, Tricia Cline, the Mai-Kai’s Gift Shop Manager, but had met her at the Mai-Kai Tiki Treasure Bazaar booth in the Bahia Mar Commodore Ballroom...

If I correctly recall, Tricia has grandchildren participating in the Mai-Kai’s Polynesian show.

I’m very grateful to Hukilau for the opportunity to have met and mingled with the Mai-Kai staff. Among them you get a powerful sense of ‘ohana. I salute them for keeping alive an exceedingly rare time tunnel into our tiki past.

I read JOHN-O’s concluding thoughts on the Mai-Kai experience and thought them particularly eloquent...
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=37580&forum=1&vpost=593859

JOHN-O (on the right), along with Caltiki Brent, in the Bahia Mar Commodore Ballroom

-Tom

Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-17 09:07 am   Permalink

Slight correction. Angel started at the MAi-Kai in 1963 I think.

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTomD
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2011-06-17 10:59 am   Permalink

Tim (Swanky), thank you for keeping it accurate. I was working without field notes and, as you well know, when the Molokai Bar is open, conditions are perfect for corrupting a few memory cells...

Please sign me up for the next Swanky (drunken or not) walking history tour of the Mai-Kai. I really like your idea of including that as an event for the next Hukilau.

-----------------------

If you’re from out of the area and looking for a place to stay as a base for excursions to the Mai-Kai when it’s not Hukilau, I’d recommend you consider Lauderdale-by-the-Sea. It is at the ocean end of E. Commercial Boulevard, about three miles and five to seven minutes from the Mai-Kai. There’s a beautiful beach, fishing pier, shops and some great moderately-priced restaurants within easy walking distance (one to two blocks) of accommodations. There are also a number of smaller inns to choose from...

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g34381-c2-Lauderdale_by_the_Sea_Florida-Hotels.html

We had intended to stay an extra night at the Bahia Mar after Hukilau, but were informed by the front desk Sunday morning that we would have to vacate our room in the Marina building and wait for a room to be cleaned in the Tower building, as the Marina building was being closed that day for renovations. Hanging around for an indeterminate time to move to another room within the Bahia Mar was not in our Sunday plans, especially since the extra night was part of our original room reservation. No one bothered to tell us of this at check-in; else we could have chosen the Tower building initially. So, we checked out of Bahia Mar and headed up the coastal road.

In a very short while, we found a great little old-Florida style motor inn, Courtyard Villa, at Lauderdale-by-the-Sea. One night in an ocean-front efficiency cost the same as our Bahia Mar marina view room (if you include the cost of parking at the Bahia Mar). The place was charming. The room was small, air conditioning worked great and the bed was quite comfortable. My one regret was the inn’s Wi-Fi coverage didn’t extend to my room. It had a pool-sized spa and splendid beach patio area with grill. Though we loved it and it was a perfect base for the Mai-Kai, there are some more highly-reviewed places nearby that are listed in the web link above.

We tried these eating places out and found the food to be good to very good: Diner-by-the-Sea for breakfast, Keese’s (American-Mediterranean food) for lunch and The Village Grille for dinner (if you’re not doing dinner at the Mai-Kai), all an easy walk from the inn.

-Tom

JonPez
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2011-08-01 2:39 pm   Permalink

Nothing fancy, but I found this description of the Mai-Kai in a 1967 National Airlines tourist magazine, in the "Things to See & Do" section:

View Profile of JonPez Send a personal message to JonPez  Goto the website of JonPez     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-12-28 1:45 pm   Permalink

In honor of The Mai-Kai's 55th anniversary tonight, we've posted a special behind the scenes tour:

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2011/12/28/behind-the-magic-a-backstage-tour-of-the-mai-kais-mysterious-bars-and-kitchen/

And we're more than halfway through our weekly reviews of Mai-Kai cocktails, so be sure to check out the photos, tasting notes and recipes:

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/mai-kai-cocktail-guide/

Okole maluna!

Featuring The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation