FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Locating Tiki » » Mai Kai, Fort Lauderdale, FL (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )
Mai Kai, Fort Lauderdale, FL (restaurant)
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-11-27 05:20 am   Permalink

Mai-Kai announcement list subscribers should find a Thanksgiving greeting from Pia at the Mai-Kai along with this announcement:

"We are very happy to announce that as of yesterday November 25: MAI-KAI BECOMES THE FIRST PROPERTY TO RECEIVE HISTORIC DESIGNATION IN THE CITY OF OAKLAND PARK!

This is a true honor as the history and architectural character of the Mai-Kai are officially recognized as significant by the City. Thanks to the City and Historic Preservation Board for this honor!"

Congrats and best wishes to the Mai-Kai staff, managers, and owners! I hope this designation will open new doors and make many exciting things possible in the future as we all continue to work hard for, and to enjoy, the preservation of this wonderful tiki palace.

Finally - a historic landmark which serves cocktails. I'm celebrating!

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-29 12:43 pm   Permalink

If anyone is interested in reading the application...

http://www.oaklandparkfl.org/citygovernment/cityboards/documents/AgendaBack-upHistoricPreservationBoard11.25.2013.pdf

It is a PDF and is a slow loader so fair warning.

And the next time you meet Mr Christopher Gratz please buy him a cocktail and say thanks for carrying this before the Oakland Park Historic Preservation Board.

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finky099
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-04 3:37 pm   Permalink

That's fantastic and well befitting that establishment!

View Profile of finky099 Send a personal message to finky099      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-05 5:54 pm   Permalink

That is quite an honor. Its great to see this temple recognized and appreciated.

View Profile of abstractiki Send a personal message to abstractiki  Email abstractiki Goto the website of abstractiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-12-21 10:18 am   Permalink

I don't think I've seen this ad posted on TC, at least not on this thread. From Pia Dahlquist, The Mai-Kai's marketing manager, it's from the 1956 grand opening ...

Also from Pia, details on the 57th anniversary Customer Celebration Party ...

WE INVITE YOU TO JOIN US ON SATURDAY DECEMBER 28 FROM 1:30 - 4 PM
FOR OUR CUSTOMER CELEBRATION PARTY
IN RECOGNITION OF MAI-KAI'S 57th ANNIVERSARY!
And we have much to celebrate!

On this day 50 years ago a young man by the name of ANGEL VEGA started to work at the Mai-Kai. Angels first position was as a busboy but later worked his way to become our Maitre' D, a position he held for many years. Today Angel is semi retired and oversees the Molokai Bar 3 - 4 nights a week. Please join us to congratulate Angel in person on this momentous day!

Although Angel might be the longest employed there are 11 employees that's been here 20-29 years, 3 between 32 - 39 and 2 for 47 - 49 years! That is dedication!

At 2 pm there will be a showing and presentation of the spirited, colorful documentary "Plastic Paradise: A Swingin' Trip Through America's Polynesian Obsession" This hour long documentary was mostly filmed here at the Mai-Kai and around The Hukilau some years ago. It premiered on WLRN in Florida in September and is now shown nationwide. We are honored to be joined by Gaspar Gonzales from Common Machine - the Producer of the documentary.

For those of you that did not hear the great news: As of Monday November 25, 2013 Mai-Kai became the first property to receive HISTORIC DESIGNATION in the City of Oakland Park!

So there is much to celebrate. We hope to see you here this afternoon. Without your loyal support throughout the years this could not have happened!

Happy Hour prices in the Molokai Bar from 1:30 p.m. - 7 p.m.

Check out my blog for more details on this and also events on the 27th (featuring The Novarays from Orlando) and New Year's Eve ...
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2013/12/21/the-mai-kai-now-officially-historic-celebrates-its-57th-anniversary-with-style-and-special-events/

And here's story and interview with Angel from the 2010 Hukilau program ...
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/angel-hukilau-story.jpg
What a career!

Featuring The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-21 11:07 am   Permalink

Very Nice! These are the times I wish i'd live on the other coast!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2014-01-02 01:19 am   Permalink

Some highlights of last weekend's festivities:

The Novarays rocked a packed Molokai bar on Friday night, and I got a sneak peak of the prototype for the new 2014 cocktail menu, the first total redesign in decades:

I'll be posting a full preview of the new menu on The Atomic Grog and will share some more images here.

On Saturday, the bar was nearly full at 1:30 p.m. for an early happy hour and some very special events. We adjourned to the dining room, where Angel Vega was honored for his 50 years of service:

After thanking The Mai-Kai staff and his wife, Angel said: "I believe that we have the best customers in the world, and that's what keeps me working. One customer asked me: 'Are you going to go for a few more years?' And I said I feel like Tom Brady when he won the Super Bowl. Let's go for 10 and take if from there."

Pia Dahlquist then spoke about the recent historic designation by the city of Oakland Park, adding: "Next, we are going to the state, and we are going for national recognition. When we get there, we're having a big party." She then showed off the new drink menu, which should be ready within a couple weeks. Afterwards, we were able to compare it to the original 1956 menu:

Gaspar Gonzalez of Common Machine then took the stage to introduce his film, "Plastic Paradise: A Swingin’ Trip Through America’s Polynesian Obsession," which has been appearing on PBS stations across the country since September. Of the 30 interviews in the film, about 20 were shot at The Mai-Kai, he said. The film will premiere on KCET in Los Angeles in prime time on Jan. 28, he said, and hopefully air in March or April in New York.

The film got a very respectful response, but the crowd broke out in laughter at several points when the late Ron Licudine, son of original Mai-Kai mixologist Mariano Licudine, shared stories from The Mai-Kai's early days. He talked about how the drink the Impatient Virgin was inspired by a family member ("cousin Virginia in the Philippines") and marveled at the popularity of his dad's drinks ("that's a lot of drinking, that's a lot of rum").

In honor of Ron and Mariano, we kept the tradition alive as the party continued well into the evening:

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Grand Kahu
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2014-01-02 08:40 am   Permalink

The civic historic site designation is of HUGE benefit to the future of the Mai Kai, even more so than state or national designation. In short, their ordinances now prevent the inappropriate alteration or, worse, demolition of the site without review by the historic review committee. Kudos to the current owners for doing this and helping to ensure the legacy of the Mai Kai for future generations.

GK

Tied by my Mai Tai...

View Profile of Grand Kahu Send a personal message to Grand Kahu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Grand Kahu
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2014-01-02 08:40 am   Permalink

The civic historic site designation is of HUGE benefit to the future of the Mai Kai, even more so than state or national designation. In short, their ordinances now prevent the inappropriate alteration or, worse, demolition of the site without review by the historic review committee. Kudos to the current owners for doing this and helping to ensure the legacy of the Mai Kai for future generations.

GK

Tied by my Mai Tai...

View Profile of Grand Kahu Send a personal message to Grand Kahu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2014-01-04 1:14 pm   Permalink

The Mai-Kai updates its classic cocktail menu for the 21st century

Check out this in-depth preview on The Atomic Grog ...
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2014/01/04/historic-mai-kai-celebrated-new-cocktail-menu-unveiled-at-anniversary-party/

Among the highlights:

* The new menu harkens back to the 1956 original, with all the drinks displayed on an impressive centerspread (see above).

* The centerspread features a background map of Polynesia and all 46 of The Mai-Kai's classic tropical rum-based cocktails on one page. It also pays tribute to longtime owner Mireille Thornton with a vintage photo of her in the center.

* The vintage mid-century drawings that have identified the drinks for the past 57 years have been replaced by beautiful photographs that show off just how colorful and creative these concoctions are.

* One drink was dropped (The Mai-Kai Cappuccino from the after-dinner selection is now on the dessert menu) and one new one added: The Tiki Swizzle on the strong menu. It made its debut at The Hukilau last June and has recently been featured on its own special table tent menu. It has been popular enough to be included on the new menu.

* The smaller format with multiple pages has been replaced by a large four-page menu: 20 inches wide by 22 inches tall when open, 10×22 when closed. The back page features a list of 50 wines.

* A newly enlarged rum list is featured on the top of the front page, touting 33 "Rums of Exceptional Quality and Value" and 18 from the "Mai-Kai Selection of Elite Rums." That's a total of 51 rums to choose from.

* Also on the front page is a new selection of martinis, which can be ordered with either vodka or rum. Consider it a nod to the tourists and non-Tiki folks.

* The menu is not yet being offered to guests. Look for it to be put into service sometime later this month, along with a newly designed dinner menu.

In the works: I'll take a closer look at The Mai-Kai's cocktail menus though the years, tracing the history of all the classic drinks with sample menus from every decade dating back to 1956.

Okole maluna!

Featuring The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide

[ This Message was edited by: Hurricane Hayward 2014-01-04 14:17 ]

Thortiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-04 2:29 pm   Permalink

SWEET A+!

View Profile of Thortiki Send a personal message to Thortiki  Goto the website of Thortiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2014-01-18 11:17 pm   Permalink

The passing of the guard: The new menu replaces the old this weekend in The Molokai bar ....

TropicDrinkBoy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-21 09:44 am   Permalink

Will they offer the old (and maybe new) menu for sale to us collectors?

View Profile of TropicDrinkBoy Send a personal message to TropicDrinkBoy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2014-01-21 10:53 am   Permalink

That's definitely being discussed. Stay tuned!

His Majesty O'Keefe
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-04-09 2:07 pm   Permalink

Despite being a lifelong Florida resident--I've lived no more than ten miles from the Mai-Kai at any given time--I have never been to the place! I used to pass by it as a child, wistfully watching it fade behind me as the family car drove past.

However, I will be there next month. Seeing this thread has me quite stoked...I cannot WAIT!

View Profile of His Majesty O'Keefe Send a personal message to His Majesty O'Keefe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation