FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Locating Tiki » » Mai Kai, Fort Lauderdale, FL (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
Mai Kai, Fort Lauderdale, FL (restaurant)
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-05-24 9:41 pm   Permalink

You're gonna love exploring their drink menu in the Molokai bar! It may lead you to build-out whatever tiki bar and rum collection you already have at home, so beware, heh...

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
EPCOTExplorer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-25 06:28 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-05-24 21:41, AceExplorer wrote:
You're gonna love exploring their drink menu in the Molokai bar! It may lead you to build-out whatever tiki bar and rum collection you already have at home, so beware, heh...

YEP. Lots of plans to head to the liquor store, today. hahah.

Question, though… To the right of the car port, there's a semi-abandoned building. What is that? There were some great tiki statues outside of it, but I couldn't get too close.

View Profile of EPCOTExplorer Send a personal message to EPCOTExplorer  Goto the website of EPCOTExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-05-25 07:34 am   Permalink

That's the secret Room of Tiki Initiation. ("Thank you sir, may I have another?")

No, that's not really what it is. I've never seen it open or in use, but I think it's a rentable private event space. Someone else here may have more info for you, maybe has even been inside and can tell us more. I'm sure there are some good stories.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
EPCOTExplorer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-25 12:02 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-05-25 07:34, AceExplorer wrote:
That's the secret Room of Tiki Initiation. ("Thank you sir, may I have another?")

No, that's not really what it is. I've never seen it open or in use, but I think it's a rentable private event space. Someone else here may have more info for you, maybe has even been inside and can tell us more. I'm sure there are some good stories.

To quote your signature… Another drink? Sure!

Hope someone knows… the poor thing looked like it needed a bit of love.

View Profile of EPCOTExplorer Send a personal message to EPCOTExplorer  Goto the website of EPCOTExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
EPCOTExplorer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-25 1:38 pm   Permalink

While we are on the subject- is the music from the show available for download, anywhere? The Mai Kai website has it on autoplay, but I kinda want it on my iPod. LOL

TikiTacky
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-05-25 2:11 pm   Permalink

It doesn't look as if the Mai-Kai has the music available for purchase or download anywhere. It's a simple Flash player that's playing mp3 files stored on their web server, so it's actually possible to download them; but since they're not making them available it isn't my place to make that decision for them.

I'm actually surprised they don't make a CD available for purchase. For that matter, I'm really surprised they don't have a gift shop available online. In this day and age, it's so easy to set up an online store it seems like they're just losing money by not having one.

Just found this thread lamenting the same lack of music availability:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=21383&forum=11

[ This Message was edited by: TikiTacky 2014-05-25 14:20 ]

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-05-25 2:58 pm   Permalink

There have gotta be some audio recording and studio folks online here who could approach Kern and Pia at the Mai-Kai. (Jim Teitelbaum, for example) Music clearances would have to be obtained, a script written, and then recording and editing sessions afterwards. Then, there are many places that duplicate discs now, or you can obviously release via MP3s online with dreaded DRM.

Just thinkin' out loud. This could be a cool project for someone. They're at 50+ years now, it's a good suggestion.

howlinowl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-25 5:21 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-05-25 14:11, TikiTacky wrote:
I'm really surprised they don't have a gift shop available online. In this day and age, it's so easy to set up an online store it seems like they're just losing money by not having one.

[ This Message was edited by: TikiTacky 2014-05-25 14:20 ]

Heh....I just took a look. If you want to purchase a gift card, they actually have a form for you to download and print.

How quaint!

howlinowl

View Profile of howlinowl Send a personal message to howlinowl      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-05-25 5:56 pm   Permalink

After you fill out the form, attach it to a carrier pigeon to return it.

I'm all for keeping the "old ways" alive, but this is ridiculous!

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2014-06-06 11:43 am   Permalink

EPCOTExplorer: Great to hear you have been initiated into the wonderful world of The Mai-Kai. Regarding the drink menu, I'm hoping you've been consulting my online guide:
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/mai-kai-cocktail-guide/
It's also fun to call up this page on a smart phone while you're in the bar and try to figure out which recipes you can make at home. I'm still trying to figure out many of the:
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/mai-kai-cocktail-guide/mai-kai-cocktail-recipes/
If anyone cares to follow along, I'll be posting more recipes and Mai-Kai cocktail stories in the coming months. I post any updates over on this thread: http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=47293&forum=10

Regarding the old building to the north of the valet stand, that's the original gift shop (back when the current gift shop was a dining room). I'm pretty sure there are photos up on TC on another thread if someone can find them and post a link. It's been closed for some time, and I've heard that the damage caused by storms has made it very costly to repair to the point of making it unusable as a public space. They currently use if for storage. I was in there a few years ago when they were selling the old chairs, and they were being stored in there. I'm gonna ask Swanky to chime in here since he's the expert on exactly when it was built, closed, etc. The good news is that there are rumors floating around that it may be repaired and put back into use as a special event space at some point.

Speaking of Swanky, I'm going to refer you to his website for an excellent download of authentic South Seas music that I believe is very similar to what The Mai-Kai plays. He'll be able to speak more to that, but here's the link to his blog with info and a link to the downloads page:
http://www.swankpad.org/blather/2010/08/14/swank-vinyl-exotica-is-free/
Download "Swank Vinyl Exotica I" and also volume II. He's got some other cool stuff there too.

And regarding the old drink menus: I know there's a plan to make them available to the public, but I'm not sure when. A lot of them had to be cleaned up, re-bound, etc. I'm guessing we'll hear something at The Hukilau next week.

Also FYI, on the final day of the event (Sunday, June 15), The Mai-Kai will host an exhibit of artifacts from the archives during the afternoon while The Molokai Bar is open for appetizers and drinks. "Come and browse through the Mai-Kais precious historic photos, costumes, scrapbooks, mugs, dinnerware, menus and more."
http://thehukilau.com/2014/schedule-of-events/

Featuring The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide

[ This Message was edited by: Hurricane Hayward 2014-06-06 11:48 ]

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2014-06-06 11:43 am   Permalink

I'm trying to find out what the "very special addition" to the exhibit will be. Stay tuned.

[ This Message was edited by: Hurricane Hayward 2014-06-06 11:45 ]

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-06 12:24 pm   Permalink

As for the building to the right, that is "Bora Bora". It is being renovated. It was "condemned" for a very short time by a very green inspector. After a second, more professional inspection that didn't mean walking around it for 30 seconds and saying it needed to go, it got a clean bill of health. Last I knew it was going to be a cigar and cognac kind of place. I think it is to be decided, but it is not going away. Last year it was still storage.

The music played in the restaurant is partly mine and partly others. I have donated CDs to them many years ago. They play a variety and you can request Swanky's CD be played for more vintage Hapa Haole and Exotic tunes.

The actual show is meant to be enjoyed in the moment and in your memory. I'm sure that if they wanted to offer a DVD of the show they could get Jochen to put something together. He already has lots of footage from when they worked on the DVD of Tiki and filmed the entire 2004 show. Plus I think they have done more since. I just don't think it is on their radar to do it.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
EPCOTExplorer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-06 9:01 pm   Permalink

Fantastic information, guys! Thanks so much.

Hope Bora Bora opens again soon… could be a nice little outpost away from the main show.

The special event sounds awesome. I'm kicking myself (well, not too much, I'll be up at WDW and the Polynesian!!) that I'm out of town that weekend. I need a second visit to the Mai Kai, after all. Maybe on the way back from Orlando….

Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2014-06-07 10:44 pm   Permalink

EPCOTExplorer, try to drop by on Sunday. It's always enlightening when they open the archives.

FYI, I just posted a comprehensive look at two special mugs that are being produced in association with The Mai-Kai that are inspired by some iconic images:

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2014/06/06/artists-pay-tribute-to-the-mai-kai-with-one-of-a-kind-mugs/

The Mai-Kai Mug by Tiki Diablo (above), based on an old fallen carving from the tiki garden ...

And The Molokai Maiden from Crazy Al and Swank Pad Productions, which replicates the mysterious masthead found in The Molokai bar ...

Featuring The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide

EPCOTExplorer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-08 07:25 am   Permalink

This sunday or next? I might be able to make the trek, today… but next sunday I'm up in Disney. Eating at the Polynesian. Heheh.

And already ordered by Diablo mug. GREAT design.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation