FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Locating Tiki » » Mai Kai, Fort Lauderdale, FL (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )
Mai Kai, Fort Lauderdale, FL (restaurant)
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2014-06-19 6:20 pm   Permalink

Great photos SilverLine!

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-19 6:59 pm   Permalink

What a fabulous place, thank you for all the beautiful pictures, wish we could see more. Just wondering, I have never been there, is everything inside original?

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
El Jefe
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2014-06-19 9:12 pm   Permalink

Nice photos. Thanks for sharing. Any more?

View Profile of El Jefe Send a personal message to El Jefe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikicoma
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2014-06-19 9:25 pm   Permalink

Excellent work Silverline! This is how I like to see a tiki joint presented! Only thing that would make it better would be having the room names for the various photos (hint hint).

thanks and aloha

View Profile of tikicoma Send a personal message to tikicoma      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2014-06-19 10:02 pm   Permalink

So much Wow! Thanks for sharing your amazing photos Silverline!

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-06-20 12:52 am   Permalink

GROG second that.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thortiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-20 04:23 am   Permalink

Finally the Mai-Kai in full digital HD splendor, GREAT!

View Profile of Thortiki Send a personal message to Thortiki  Goto the website of Thortiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-20 05:07 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-06-19 18:59, hiltiki wrote:
Just wondering, I have never been there, is everything inside original?

Mostly.

Some of the stuff outside is replica, for example some of the outside tiki's have been molded and then cast in concrete. Florida weather eats tiki's in very short order.

The insides are almost all original. It is about 50% original oceanic artifact and about 50% stuff made for, or at, the Mai Kai.

And Silverline..... some of the nicest shots I have seen of the place, thank you.

There is, however, one minor thing wrong them..... not enough happy people enjoying cocktail in them.

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-06-20 06:16 am   Permalink

The term "oceanic" really stood out there for me. It's amazing to think of a self-contained civilization living on a chain of remote islands. That is truly cool.

I have an album by that title - "Oceanic" by Vangelis. It contains some of my most-favored down-tempo and relaxing music of all time. I highly recommend giving it a try, especially if you're in your dimly-lit tiki bar and sipping something good and need reflective and relaxing background tracks to "get in the zone."

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-06-20 06:17 am   Permalink

Oh yeah, one more thing, VERY NICE PICS!

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PremEx
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-20 2:56 pm   Permalink

SilverLine...truly excellent photos...though I'm certain you already know that. Many Thanks for posting them. Makes me want to hop on a plane and visit again!

View Profile of PremEx Send a personal message to PremEx      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2014-06-21 12:36 am   Permalink

I join the chorus in saying Silverline's photos are spectacular.

The sheer amount of artifacts is staggering. And there's also a bunch of stuff in storage. When a large tiki in the gardens collapsed a few years back, they just brought out another vintage Tiki that had not been seen in decades.

And to EPCOTExplorer's question about the status of the museum artifacts: I assume the Fort Lauderdale Museum of Art's Thornton collection is safely stored with the many other private collections, awaiting a future exhibit. I can't speak to the Stanford University collection. Perhaps someone in that area can see if it's on public display.

Featuring The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
EPCOTExplorer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-21 10:14 am   Permalink

Add my name to the list of people that are drooling over those photos…

And that's interesting, Hayward. Hope they make a re-apperance, soon. I assume we would be the first to know.

View Profile of EPCOTExplorer Send a personal message to EPCOTExplorer  Goto the website of EPCOTExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SilverLine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-22 7:08 pm   Permalink

Thanks everybody for the kind words. This is what I do for a living, so it really means a lot to me.

Thanks is due to the Mai-Kai management who let me wander through and shoot these before everybody poured in!

What a PLACE!

Classic Silver Line Boats

View Profile of SilverLine Send a personal message to SilverLine  Goto the website of SilverLine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-23 1:32 pm   Permalink

Holy Smokes, I knew the place was amazing, and have always loved pics people have posted. But those take the cake. Do you have any more?

if you did a whole book of pics on the place Id buy it.

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation