FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Locating Tiki » » Mai Kai, Fort Lauderdale, FL (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )
Mai Kai, Fort Lauderdale, FL (restaurant)
Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2014-07-04 12:15 am   Permalink

Here are a few photos of the artifacts that were on display in the Tahiti room during the final day of The Hukilau. I've never seen so many old costumes on display before. Also some carvings, scrapbooks, calendars, etc.

More in my flickr album from the event:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/28078283@N05/sets/72157645008150739

I also just posted a major update on all my continuing cocktail research over on this thread:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=47293&forum=10&vpost=721620

Featuring The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
EPCOTExplorer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-04 08:16 am   Permalink

Oh, AWESOME. WIsh those were always out.

View Profile of EPCOTExplorer Send a personal message to EPCOTExplorer  Goto the website of EPCOTExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MaukaHale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-22 11:23 am   Permalink

Looking for someone to cater your BBQ?

How about having the Mai Kai cater your event.

Backyard BBQ with a Polynesian Twist
Delight your guests with a delicious Barbeque prepared by the Mai-Kai!

$30/person for 3 hours Catering Service with 1 chef and 1 waiter
30 people minimum. Additional charges apply for Dade and Palm Beach County.
A 6% Sales tax will be added to the bill. Suggested gratuity of 18-20%
or
$25/person for Pick Up service
A 6% Sales tax will be added to the bill.

APPETIZERS: Pick 2
Cantonese Fried Shrimp
Fried Dumplings
Egg Rolls
Shanghai Chicken
Chicken Wings Mai-Kai

ENTREES: Pick 2
BBQ Baby Back Ribs
BBQ Chicken
Marinated Pork

SIDES: Pick 2
Hawaiian Fried Rice
Mac & Cheese
Stir Fried Garden Vegetables

DESSERT: Pick 1
Coconut Ice Cream or Brownies

For the ultimate Backyard BBQ Party: Add entertainment!
15 to 20 minute mini show at $695.00 to include 2 female dancers, 1 male dancer + 1 MC

Please contact JOHN GELARDI at 954-563-3272 or
catering@maikai.com for more information

Above prices not valid with any other discounts or promotions

Its too bad I don't live in Florida.

"People are like islands. You have to get close to them to know what they are about."
~ Adam Troy

View Profile of MaukaHale Send a personal message to MaukaHale  Email MaukaHale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
EPCOTExplorer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-23 7:44 pm   Permalink

Worth nothing that @themaikai is now on Instagram and posting great stuff.

View Profile of EPCOTExplorer Send a personal message to EPCOTExplorer  Goto the website of EPCOTExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-25 11:30 am   Permalink

I suspect you meant ....worth Noting. That little h sure changes the meaning.

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thomamas
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 10 days ago; 09:55 am   Permalink

FYI, the Mai Kai is a finalist in this year's Cintas' America's Best Restroom contest, which is taking votes through the end of October.

http://www.bestrestroom.com/us/vote.asp

So's the Tiki Lounge in Pittsburgh, by the way.

View Profile of thomamas Send a personal message to thomamas      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pjc5150
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 8 days ago; 9:07 pm   Permalink

some better shots of my kanaloa, which now lives in the tiki room behind the stage,

big mahalos to Kern and the nice folks at the Mai Kai for giving him a place of honor, and for uplighting him correctly so he "comes to life" at night...

say hello to him next time you visit...

View Profile of pjc5150 Send a personal message to pjc5150      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 7 days ago; 11:56 am   Permalink

We just booked a family trip to Ft. Lauderdale over Christmas break. This is my first time going to South Florida.

You folks on here will appreciate what this means.

View Profile of djmont Send a personal message to djmont  Email djmont Goto the website of djmont     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thortiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 7 days ago; 2:25 pm   Permalink

Scheduled to be there Wed. & Thurs. nights THIS week. Haven't been for close to 2 years! (:

View Profile of Thortiki Send a personal message to Thortiki  Goto the website of Thortiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mikehooker
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 5 days ago; 07:11 am   Permalink

Went to the Mai Kai last night. I'm only in south Florida once or twice a year anymore so I very much cherish these visits to my old favorite haunt. But I must say, it was a very disappointing experience this time. We went for happy hour as usual and met with a couple old friends with the plan of sharing a mystery drink which I'd never gotten before. We were told the drink doesn't have happy hour pricing which we didn't mind, but were saddened to find out the mystery girl couldn't come out til 8:45 (nearly 3 hours later). Mystery drink at full price with no dance? No thank you. So we order up individual drinks. I start with a 151 Swizzle and it was wonderful. My better half gets a Jet Pilot and it was delicious. All is well in the world. Then everything went wrong with the second round. I go for the Zombie and it did not taste good at all. Chelsea got a Moonkist Coconut, one of her favorite drinks there, and it was downright awful. We asked for a replacement for hers, something we've never had to do in ten years of visiting the place and the waitress was back in under a minute with a new drink. She tossed it on the table and said "hope this is better" and storms off. The drink was still bad and for how quickly she came back with it, I think the bartender maybe splashed a bit of cocunut in the old one because there's no way he could have mixed another drink that quickly. We both sipped our way through our bad drinks, with the waitress never checking to see if it was any better. The situation wasn't improved any when the "artist" performing in the Molokai bar started singing Stevie Nicks and "Margaritaville". It would almost be comical if we were actually enjoying ourselves but the wretched soundtrack coupled with the poorly mixed cocktails, bad service, and over 50s singles meet-up group completely shocked my system. This isn't the Mai Kai I remember, with two guys playing traditional Hawaiian music through a shoddy PA in the Molokai bar and beautiful maidens serving us the most delicious libations on the planet, helping us forget all the problems outside those rain drizzled windows. I've been touting Mai Kai as the greatest place on earth to any who will listen for as long as I can remember. It's why we chose it as our wedding destination this coming April. But I left with a very bad taste in my mouth (literally). I hope it was just an off night and not indicative of things to come. I'll revisit them tonight and report back.

Thortiki, how was your experience assuming you were there last night as well?

View Profile of mikehooker Send a personal message to mikehooker  Goto the website of mikehooker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thortiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 5 days ago; 1:06 pm   Permalink

After a hairy SW flight to Fort Lauderdale, we were ready for the Mai Kai. Got there right @ 5:00 PM opening, sat at a two person table just at the bar entrance. The greeter/seater said the Meet Up group was in the back of the bar. Our server was really nice she's been there awhile since we had her on a prior visit. Started off with a Hidden Pearl & Black Magic which were both really good. Had a mix of 1/2 price appetizers & the pork/sushi @ the buffet behind the singer. The place was really packed by 6:00 PM, We expected a more Aloha Shirt/Tiki crowd & felt in the minority. YES, the singer was terrible expected Hawaiian music or a decent surf band, she detracted from the atmosphere. Our second round of drinks was a Zula (just ok) & a Jet Pilot (A+). The Mai Kai owner was in the bar last night up front. On a side note IMO the Gift Shop has really gone downhill from years ago in what they are now offering. We are going again tonight for drinks & dinner (no show) will see how that turns out Mahalo

View Profile of Thortiki Send a personal message to Thortiki  Goto the website of Thortiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mikehooker
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 5 days ago; 7:44 pm   Permalink

Went back tonight and had a better overall experience, although some of the drinks still seemed off to me. Perhaps my palette has changed over time but the Jet Pilot I got was nearly undrinkable. I got about a third of the way through it and had to stop and order something else, a 151 Swizzle, which was really good, but not as great as it was the night before. I don't understand how there could be such inconsistency on something that should be an exact science. Chelsea had a Black magic which was good followed by a Special Reserve Daiquiri that we agreed was the best overall mixed drink of everything we had. All the flavors blended perfectly together. The service was much better this time (we sat at the bar) and although the same singer was there butchering songs I already hate, it seemed easier to ignore this time. I'd be curious to know if they've brought new bartenders in lately or maybe my senses are just off.

More pics...

View Profile of mikehooker Send a personal message to mikehooker  Goto the website of mikehooker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thortiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 4 days ago; 05:38 am   Permalink

Mai Kai NIGHT 2: we sat at bar 5:30 PM the SINGER ugh had turned her amp up from the prior night it was terrible (we did say something to the staff). Jet Pilots were fine, only there 1/2 hour then dinner back room good food, décor, music and service. Chatted up waitress floor show has changed & they brought in some new performers from a closed show at Universal. Show room areas was packed. Was worth the SW flight for two nights @ the Tiki national treasure.

Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 4 days ago; 11:23 am   Permalink

Of course I see this the day after you guys are in town... which is a shame for all of us because tomorrow (Sept 20) there is going to be a drink-flight presentation in the Molokai bar. Mr Mattei, the General Manager, got himself a copy of Beachbum Berry's Potions of the Caribbean and that gave him an idea for some drinks that needed making. The locals do what we can to support ideas like this when they happen.

There is some information on Facebook, but I am behind a corporate firewall so you'll just have to go look for it.... or just join us tomorrow evening and enjoy an evening at the Mai Kai with a bunch of people in Aloha Shirts.

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mikehooker
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 3 days ago; 6:41 pm   Permalink

C&A, we found out about tonight's event right after we decided on the routing for our trip and unfortunately couldn't modify it. I know it would have left us with a different lasting impression. Hope it's a blast and delicious! We'll be back in April.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation