FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Mai Kai, Fort Lauderdale, FL (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
Mai Kai, Fort Lauderdale, FL (restaurant)
I, Zombie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-11 09:47 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-03-10 15:42, waitiki wrote:

Wanting to recreate that wondrous effect of the Rum Barrel, the Mayor goes to work in Mr. Ho's red kitchen:

Happy Birthday Mr. Ho! Looking forward to the show on the 24th. Enjoyed the event at the Mai Kai and can't wait to hear the Esquivel Band.

Hey Mayor, how did the Orangina work out in that Barrel?

I, Zombie

View Profile of I, Zombie Send a personal message to I, Zombie  Email I, Zombie Goto the website of I, Zombie     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Mayor Of Exotica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-11 2:40 pm   Permalink

Actually, to be quite honest, I have no recollection at this point either way. I think it was good. I do remember earlier in the evening a general feeling of well-being and tasting the Mai Kai in the drink, which means it was pretty close to what little I could recall of the original. This, of course, was followed by overwhelming feelings of euphoria and happiness. This means the drink did its job.

View Profile of The Mayor Of Exotica Send a personal message to The Mayor Of Exotica  Email The Mayor Of Exotica Goto the website of The Mayor Of Exotica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Rick
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-03-13 1:33 pm   Permalink

My wife and I were there last Friday. We came to Ft.Lauderdale to see the King Tut exhibit and made it down a day early to visit our favorite Tiki Temple. We had our usual terrific time. The floor show was excellent as always and the crowd very appreciative. They've changed the costumes from the the last time we were there(The Hukilau '05). Our resolution to keep the drinks to a minimum went down the tubes after our first round at the Moloki Bar. We toured the Tiki Garden before we left. I commented to the sales lady in the gift shop that this was my Sistine Chapel and coming here was an act of pilgrimage and a religious experience to be savored! She blinked at me for a second then laughed. Every time I go there I come away with enormous respect for those who have kept this Tiki Temple going. Happy 50th birthday and may the Mai-Kai have many more!

All Hail Floyd!! (Mira Mar League of Extraordinary Gentlemen)

View Profile of Trader Rick Send a personal message to Trader Rick  Email Trader Rick     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-03-15 08:12 am   Permalink

Here's a scan of one their current postcards. I have not been yet - but I'm gonna try to make Hukilau this year. Some friends from Miami decided to torture me and send me this card last week. They're rubbin' it in.

[ This Message was edited by: tikigap 2006-08-25 08:57 ]

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
donhonyc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-15 2:21 pm   Permalink

I must say that as amazing as the Mai Kai is, I've been disappointed with the design of their current postcard (and for that matter their website and brochure). For me all of those things really don't capture the coolness and amazing 'amaziosity' that is the mighty Mai Kai. But then again they have to market to everyone not just us Tikiphiles. Maybe in the future they'll change things up. I think the website design for the last Hukilau (2005) would actually be a good way to design the Mai Kai website.

[ This Message was edited by: donhonyc 2006-03-15 14:24 ]

View Profile of donhonyc Send a personal message to donhonyc      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
joefla70
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-21 12:21 pm   Permalink

I would imagine that the pictures on the "new" postcard are probably rather old. Having seen the Polynesian Review there several times in the last few years, I do not recognize any of the fire dancers pictured on the post card.

View Profile of joefla70 Send a personal message to joefla70  Email joefla70     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sporkboyofjustice
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-05 5:50 pm   Permalink

I just got back from the Mai Kai, yep, Sporkboy is in Florida. Not to worry though because I'll be leaving in the morning. It was an amazing place but it is showing its age. If you drink at the bar don't look up as you'll see some original mold. With that said I had a great time and enjoyed the food, drink and show very much. I'm just sad that I live so far away (Oregon) and won't be able to come here more often. I did end up buying a Mai Kai barrel from the thrift shop to remember my trip by.

View Profile of sporkboyofjustice Send a personal message to sporkboyofjustice  Goto the website of sporkboyofjustice     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
claudia1214

Posted: 2006-06-08 6:42 pm   Permalink

Hi everyone! My fiancee and I love the Polynesian lifestyle. Our entire apartment is decorated with tiki poles and masks. We will be tying the knot at the Mai-Kai on November 22, 2006. Does anyone have any pictures, or reviews of how the wedding ceremony went how the service was? and the food from the banquet meals??? Please let me know! I would really appreciate it!!!!

Claudia

View Profile of claudia1214 Send a personal message to claudia1214      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-08 6:56 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-06-08 18:42, claudia1214 wrote:
Hi everyone! My fiancee and I love the Polynesian lifestyle. Our entire apartment is decorated with tiki poles and masks. We will be tying the knot at the Mai-Kai on November 22, 2006. Does anyone have any pictures, or reviews of how the wedding ceremony went how the service was? and the food from the banquet meals??? Please let me know! I would really appreciate it!!!!

Claudia

Welcome Claudia, and congratulations!

Pictures are easy, there are many all over TC and I can send you some directly if you want.

The food is amazing! The service even better. The only thing I can't help you with is the wedding bits. But, I know who to ask at the Mai Kai to get you some more details.......

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-12 1:40 pm   Permalink

So much of the Mai Kai follows the same "Magic" of Disney in that you don't see so much of what goes on. Once you enter the Mai Kai you are on a journey to far-away places in long-ago times and the illusion works because of what you don't see as much as what you do see.

For example:

Here is peek through the service window in the Molokai Bar. You never see your drinks being made, instead a wonderful wahine appears with drink in hand.

I don't share this picture to break the spell, but sometimes a peek behind the curtain makes the journey all the more wonderful....

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
claudia1214

Posted: 2006-06-17 06:44 am   Permalink

Thank you! I would love to have some more pictures. We just came back from the Mai Kai on sunday and we loved it! The food was superb. The only thing that turned me off was thecondition of the entrance way. It still has the blue tarp. It takes away from its beauty.

View Profile of claudia1214 Send a personal message to claudia1214      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-17 07:39 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-06-17 06:44, claudia1214 wrote:
... The only thing that turned me off was the condition of the entrance way. It still has the blue tarp. ...

It is a work in progress. The structure of the place is 50 years old and the local building inspectors wanted to see the super-structure of the place before they would sign off on building permits. The only way to get at that stuff was to basically take all of the roof off of the drive way.

The good news is all of the permits have been approved and now it is just a matter of getting workers in place. That sounds easy, but so much of our workforce has gone upstate and into the Gulf states for post Hurricane Katrina rebuilding. Workers qualified to do that kind of work are scarce at the moment.

Once the work begins I will get some progress pictures to share.

Pomaika i
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-24 09:29 am   Permalink

Hi Claudia. I'm getting married at the Mai-Kai in October . I sent you an email with a link to some pics from a wedding ceremony. Congrats!

View Profile of Pomaika i Send a personal message to Pomaika i      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
definitedoll

Posted: 2007-04-04 8:05 pm   Permalink

I was at the Mai Kai in August of 1967...it was a wonderland then, with the gardens/landscaping around the restaurant just awesome!! We went one evening to the Mai Kai and saw the floor show... we just had drinks!!! I saw people with food and i was envious!! I had gotten one of those Pineapples and i have a photo of me with it !
But we went back the next day during daylight and took some photos!! How i wish i had more...but at least we sprung for the color film!!

I hope to get back there one day!! I was 11 years old at the time.

View Profile of definitedoll Send a personal message to definitedoll      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-05 06:59 am   Permalink

Very cool. Thanks for sharing that. If you don't know, the folks on this board think of the Mai Kai as the best place on the planet pretty much. Seeing images from its past is fantastic.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation