FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Mai Kai, Fort Lauderdale, FL (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )
Mai Kai, Fort Lauderdale, FL (restaurant)
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-16 11:03 am   Permalink

Major Kudo's to Bohemiann and his team at Go11 Media for their work on the website!

http://www.maikai.com/

The site is now almost as amazing as the restaurant!

For those of you close enough to join regularly, or if your just travelling in, you can find out what's going on with the Happy Hour Specials:

http://www.maikai.com/specials/happy-hour-specials

Anyone in the area this Friday please join us for the Elvis show! It should be a whol'lotta fun!

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifred
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-10-09 06:53 am   Permalink

Yay! I have a reservation for dinner and a show Thursday, Nov. 4. Anyone around then? It would be fun to meet anybody from TC there. I am so psyched.

View Profile of tikifred Send a personal message to tikifred      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiRenee
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-11-01 11:44 am   Permalink

Hi Fred,
Mike and I are thinking about meeting up with you. Possibly also Chip and Andy. When are you coming in and where are you coming from?
Renee

View Profile of TikiRenee Send a personal message to TikiRenee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifred

Posted: 2010-11-05 2:58 pm   Permalink

Oh no! I just checked this thread and saw your post. Sorry to miss seeing you! Were you there last night? I was, and it was amazing. I loved the show, and the Mai Tais were pretty cool too. I may go again Sunday night. I'm so bummed I didn't check this thread sooner!!!

View Profile of tikifred Send a personal message to tikifred      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifred

Posted: 2010-11-05 3:01 pm   Permalink

TikiRenee, I reread your post and I'm coming from Philadelphia. I'm down here until Monday morning. Let me know if you can meet up again this weekend.

TikiRenee
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-11-06 12:29 pm   Permalink

Hi Fred check your pm's.

View Profile of TikiRenee Send a personal message to TikiRenee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2011-02-06 11:41 am   Permalink

Cavalier magazine, July 1962, featured the Mai-Kai's Derby Daiquiri, "this deceptively gentle-looking orchidaceous labellum-twister"!

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-13 07:22 am   Permalink

I saw this on google news and thought it was an interesting ad from 1962

Here a closeup of the text

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-23 12:26 am   Permalink

"Supermoon" over the Mai-Kai ...

My wife and I celebrated the first anniversary of our Mai-Kai wedding on March 19, the night of the "supermoon". Check out more photos on flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/28078283@N05/sets/72157626331278068/

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Philot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-07 08:31 am   Permalink

We might get a chance to make a trip to the Mai Kai sometime this summer. I've been wanting to go for years, but this would be our first time.

I was wondering if anyone out there had some hints for making the most out of the visit.

The best that I've gathered from reading threads on the board is "go early so you have some time to visit the garden before dinner".

My wife suffers from migraines, so we may or may not take in a show. I'm guessing that among other things, they're playing wooden drums, which might be too loud and percussive for her to enjoy for long.

Are there any floor plans online showing the layout of the place? I understand they have several dining rooms, a bar and the show room. Are they set up so one can wander around the whole place gawking, or do you have to pretty much keep to the dining room you're seated in?

View Profile of Philot Send a personal message to Philot      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-07 10:43 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-04-07 08:31, Philot wrote:
I was wondering if anyone out there had some hints for making the most out of the visit.

Summertime? Go the otherway 'round. Have dinner *then* wander the gardens.

The gardens are beautiful, but after dark it becomes magical!

Arrive early, have a drink (or three) and appetizers in the Molokai bar.

If you want to skip the show, ask to be seated in the back dining rooms (Tahiti or Moorea). You can enjoy your dinner and not have to worry about what the show might do to the wifes migraines.

As to floor plans.... there aren't any on-line that I am aware of, but I will do my best to describe for you. You will need your imagination for this because my writing skills are questionable at best:

You arrive at the Mai Kai by crossing a little wooden bridge and under the thatched roof the valet will take care of your car for you.

As you walk in the front doors, immediately to your left is the Molokai Bar. The Molokai looks very much like the inside of a old merchant ship, there is rain against the windows, and you hear the occasional thunder from outside (an nice effect of the wooden bridge at the entrance). The total effect is as if you are being carried away to far off exotic islands.

Once you've enjoyed a cocktail or two (there are 52 on the menu, and I like all but two of them), it will be time for dinner. Your host will greet you just outside of the Molokai where you will be entrusted to your Table Captain who will seat you. Depending on your reservation, or your request, you will be seated in one of several dining rooms. The 'Gardens' are at center stage, and three other dining rooms surround in such a way as to all face the main stage. If the show is not your thing, ask to be seated in Tahiti or Moorea, the two back dining rooms. The dinner is just as yummy, but the overall scene is much quieter, more personal, more like your on a date.

I can highly recommend the steaks! The Mai Kai uses Chinese style wood-fired ovens and what those ovens do to a steak is beyond words and can only be described as magical.

If cow isn't your first choice for dinner, you won't be disappointed with any of the fish dishes.

I should add a word of caution here.... there is a "Chinese" section of the menu. All of the dishes in this part of the menu are good, but they aren't anything better than you can get at your average take-away joint down the street. They are fun, however, as a taste of the past because I don't think they have changed up this part of the menu since the late 70's.

Back to the tour!

After you have had your dinner and desert, and hopefully an after dinner cocktail, it is time to stroll through the Gardens. If your in the main dining hall, you will walk down the hall (check out the vintage Leeteg velvets!) and turn left at the Fish Tank, down the few steps and then out to the gardens.

Once outside you will notice to your right the Chinese ovens mentioned above and to your left a huge fountain. Resist the urge to take a photo in front of the fountain. The fountain looses something on film, it just isn't as magical as standing next to it.

Follow the path around and in the back will be a wide area with a huge tiki standing sentinel over the gardens. This is where you want to take your picture!

Follow the path a little bit further and you will have another photo opportunity looking upward at the Mai Kai sign. Yes, everyone gets this shot, but if you do it right you can get the torches in the foreground, you and/or your spouse in the middle, and the Mai-Kai sign in the background.

Continuing the tour, you will come to a door that leads into the Inside Gardens. Some more tiki's, a beautiful fountain, some great shots if you still have your camera out and ready.

The path eventually leads you back to the main dining hall. When you get back to where the Host or Hostess is, turn left and visit the Mai-Kai Trading Company. We just call it the Gift Shop. Everything from the usual tourist trinkets to very nice mugs and clothing, and even the occasional tiki is available.

If you are still wanting some more, you can return to the Molokai Bar for a Flaming Coffee Grog, or a nice brandy, or very nice scotch, or of course another Rum Barrel.

Now that you have completely taken in what is the majesty of the Mai Kai it is time to say Aloha. The Valet will bring your car around and bid you good night. As you leave, pay attention to the front side of the building facing the street. Waterfalls, torches, and the big Barney West will all be there to stay in your imagination and call you back to the Mai Kai often.

OK, maybe not as good as an actual floor plan, but that is what you are in for.

And as to wandering around with camera in hand, it is normal so no one will look at you strange. At least none of the staff will look at you strange.

If you want, I can send up smoke signals and sound the drums and get the locals to meet you when your in town. The place is lots of fun when your in a group.

Unless, of course, you want to the romantic date night and be alone. That's cool too!

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-07 10:44 am   Permalink

And no, the Mai Kai doesn't pay me every time I write the description of the tour. I wish they did, I would write it more often. I work cheap, will work for booze!

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-07 10:49 am   Permalink

There you go:

The restaurant mainly is only the left part of the floor plan, since the Bangkok room is now the gift shop. It gives you an idea how much "backstage" area is needed to run such a complex operation as a full service Polynesian palace.

To be a little further away from the stage, the elevated Tonga Room is good. For more privacy, not seeing the stage but with some garden views, I recommend the Moorea, Tahiti or even the Samoa room.

You must visit the Molokai bar, too, but make sure they don't have a Surf band playing there that night, THAT is really loud.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-07 11:47 am   Permalink

Sven,
Awesome to see KAM and RFT on that drawing!

If you can get there for Happy Hour, do! 2 for 1 drinks which is literal. (Or was. May be 1/2 price now) That way, you swap drinks on the second round and fully enjoy 2 off the menu. Indulge in the Mstyery Drink if you can. You will never get that opportunity again (until you return again!) and it is a singularly iconic thing to participate in in this world! Takes you right back to 1956 and Don and the works.
If you read this, you probably already have drink suggestions to try. Consider the Zombie. It is not as strong as you have had other places and it is a close link to Don the Beachcomber's original 1934 version that started this whole Tiki fad. And they have been serving it there all along, as it disappeared from every other bar in the world. Try either the Mutiny or the Black Magic. Originals of the Mai-Kai you won't taste anywhere else in any form.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-07 4:16 pm   Permalink

Chip, were you meaning Samoa instead of Moorea? Moorea is still more-or-less part of the "show room" and so gets the full on loud show sounds. Tahiti and Samoa (my personal faves) are nice and quiet with just the right level of exotica and Polynesian-tinged music playing as you enjoy your dinner.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation