FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Mai Kai, Fort Lauderdale, FL (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 )
Mai Kai, Fort Lauderdale, FL (restaurant)
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-03-23 5:29 pm   Permalink

Quote:
As for how LED lights look, it's all about color temperature and filtering. Start with warm color temperature of 2700K or lower. If your LEDs can't produce that, then color filters or stable liquid coatings applied directly on the emitters is the big secret. Very good point though - LEDs can suck. There is a difference between a simple installation and a correctly designed installation.

My first reaction after talking to the guy doing the work is that he knows what he's doing, so I would encourage everyone to go see for themselves. One of the ways he got the most authentic look, he said, was to use different paint colors on the bulbs. Ace, I assume this is what you meant by "liquid coatings applied directly on the emitters."

Swanky: I think that the issue of having to use those fluorescent lights was one of the driving factors in getting this project done quickly.

[ This Message was edited by: Hurricane Hayward 2016-03-23 17:30 ]

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki_kiliki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-03-26 1:07 pm   Permalink

The LED lights look fantastic and do not give off what everyone is used to. I was very concerned when I heard about it. When I saw the outcome I was so pleased!!!! They have replaced most of the bulbs in the A-Frame and it looks wonderful. Those of you coming to The Hukilau will love it!

The Hukilau

The Most Authentic Tiki Event in the World and the Official Event Honoring the Mai-Kai est. 1956

View Profile of tiki_kiliki Send a personal message to tiki_kiliki  Email tiki_kiliki Goto the website of tiki_kiliki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2016-03-26 3:36 pm   Permalink

"The LED lights look fantastic"

That is great news.
And the LED bulbs I was talking about was the off the shelf here ya go type.
Did not even know they painted them.
Do know that the C7s are not so good.
I do know that the Mai Kai uses bigger bulbs.

Going to be interesting to see how much longer they last.
Being a skeptic new energy saving stuff can be not so great, like low flow toilets.

And remember how coconut oil was so deadly.

Great to have them lit by Hukilau.
Wish we were going to be there.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thortiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-03-27 06:15 am   Permalink

Could someone post some photos whenever possible showing the new lighting (-:

View Profile of Thortiki Send a personal message to Thortiki  Goto the website of Thortiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 28 days ago; 1:54 pm   Permalink

I did a thorough walk-through last night and talked to general manager Kern Mattei. The intallation of LEDs in all the dinning rooms is now complete, he said.

Please forgive my old, cheap point-and-shoot. A new camera is on my wish list. Also, I wish I had some recent "before" photos to compare. Maybe someone out there does. I'm usually preoccupied taking these kinds of photos:

First, a few shots of The Molokai ...

I ran into Kern out in the Garden (the main dining area in front of the stage). He confirmed that since they installed all the new lighting, they're no longer using the white house lights in the showroom. During the walk-through, I didn't see any white fluorescent lights in any of the front dining areas (the Garden, New Guinea, Hawaii, Moorea, Tonga). Here's a shot looking toward the left of the stage ...

Kern mentioned that the old bulbs were a huge pain to replace, especially in the upper reaches of the A-frame. They would have to wait until a bunch of them burned out before they went to the trouble of getting out the huge ladders to replace them. They're hoping for a much longer lifespan with the LEDs. Here's a shot from the center of the Garden ...

The installation of the new lighting was not done willy-nilly. Kern said they had to adjust colors and brightness of different lights throughout the dining rooms to ensure the right level of brightness and ambience, and he pointed out a few. A few areas were too bright, so they dialed back the strength of the blubs. The goal was to keep it looking the same, but also make it easier for people to see the menus and the food. The tables in the Garden did look a bit brighter ...

Here's a view from the walkway behind the Garden, looking up at Tonga ...

The back corner of Moorea ...

A few shots from out on the Lanai ...

I didn't get any shots of Tahiti or Samoa, which are considered the back dining rooms and have no view of the stage. They do still contain some low-level white lighting above the tables that give off a soft glow, and I assume this is the only way to keep them illuminated to a reasonable level. I did notice people throughout the building still using their cellphone flashlights to view menus, so this may be an indication that the brightness isn't really jacked up that much.

Moving back behind the stage, here are a few shots up at the A-frame from the Tiki garden (the best view, IMHO) ...

The upper level of Tonga, near the gift shop ...

And one more look at the A-frame from the back of Tonga ...

When you visit The Mai-Kai, even more now than ever, don't forget to look up!

The official blog of The Hukilau

[ This Message was edited by: Hurricane Hayward 2016-04-03 13:57 ]

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tim_Tiki

Posted: 23 days ago; 12:31 pm   Permalink

Just visited the Mai Kai for the first time last week. This is truly a worthy destination. You can see why this place has lasted 60 years! Very magical. We were greeted by a man dressed in an off white suite. I was expecting a "Welcome to fantasy island". The Black Magic was my first drink and did satisfy. The entire place was just beyond expectation.

This guy will come alive if you sample more than two cocktails!

The Lanai was where we had our first Mai Kai dinner.

Hey baby, where are you goin' with those drinks?

[ This Message was edited by: Tim_Tiki 2016-04-08 13:08 ]

View Profile of Tim_Tiki Send a personal message to Tim_Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (5 years)  

Posted: 23 days ago; 1:18 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-04-08 12:31, Tim_Tiki wrote:
Just visited the Mai Kai for the first time last week. This is truly a worthy destination.

Good to hear, Tim! Keep going back -- it just keeps expanding in your mind as you explore more and more. The same is true for the drink menu - awe-inspiring options there. It's always fun!

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
EPCOTExplorer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 12 days ago; 07:00 am   Permalink

I was at the Mai Kai on Sunday and the LED lighting is really quite good. The interior looks much clearer because of it.

Already craving a return trip....

View Profile of EPCOTExplorer Send a personal message to EPCOTExplorer  Goto the website of EPCOTExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thortiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 12 days ago; 1:46 pm   Permalink

Hurricane H thanks for posting the LED Mai Kai pics. Next time won't have to read a menu with a cell phone. (-:

View Profile of Thortiki Send a personal message to Thortiki  Goto the website of Thortiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 11 days ago; 8:49 pm   Permalink

Quote:
On 2016-04-19 07:00, EPCOTExplorer wrote:
The interior looks much clearer because of it.

How clear it remains after a few Barrels 'O Rum remains to be seen. ;>)

Locals and anyone in town on Apil 30 is cordially invited to join us for the 5th anniversary party for The Atomic Grog, "A Fifth of Grog."

The party runs from 6 to 10 p.m. in The Molokai and will feature live instrumental surf music from Skinny Jimmy Stingray, drink specials, giveaways, and more.

The Yeoman's Grog will be half price all night, and from 6 to 7 a special "lost cocktail", the Demerara Float, will be available. There will also be a Mai-Kai trivia contest with the winners receiving four-day Aloha Passes for The Hukilau, along with other goodies like an Atomic Grog T-shirt and perhaps a bottle of rum or two.

Here's the full preview on the blog ...
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2016/04/19/a-fifth-of-grog-celebrate-our-fifth-anniversary-at-the-mai-kai-on-april-30/

The official blog of The Hukilau

[ This Message was edited by: Hurricane Hayward 2016-04-20 20:50 ]

His Majesty O'Keefe
Tiki Centralite

Posted: Yesterday; 07:18 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-03-20 22:37, hang10tiki wrote:
Found an oversized postcard today

The Mai-Kai had a table full of that oversized postcard as a giveaway when I was there two years ago; now that card is selling on eBay for five dollars and up. I wonder if that particular postcard is the one they're still offering or if there's a new one now.

I'll be at the Mai-Kai tomorrow evening (yay!) so hopefully my rudimentary picture-taking skills will result in at least one decent shot of something!

View Profile of His Majesty O'Keefe Send a personal message to His Majesty O'Keefe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2016 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation