FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Locating Tiki » » Mai Kai, Fort Lauderdale, FL (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 )
Mai Kai, Fort Lauderdale, FL (restaurant)
Thortiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 21 days ago; 08:33 am   Permalink

COSISTENT drink quality is my #1 for ANY Tiki bar! Décor & vibe is important, but I can't drink either of those!

View Profile of Thortiki Send a personal message to Thortiki  Goto the website of Thortiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 21 days ago; 09:42 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-01-06 08:00, howlinowl wrote:
I can't imagine what the water bill for the Mai Kai is. Ice machines, dishwashers, rain effect, gardens....

howlinowl

The Gas bill is just shy of 10 grand a month. That is for the torches AND the kitchens. At least it was a few years ago, I don't think gas prices (this kind of gas at least) has changed much since then.

I am thinking a water bill that is similarly large isn't outside the realm of possibility.

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 21 days ago; 09:59 am   Permalink

Robert Thornton was having dinner with the family one night and someone mentioned that the speaker near them was busted.

"Why don't you fix that?"

RT: "You think me spending that money will bring one more person in the front door?"

Ever go to Disney and a ride is closed? Shit happens and you deal with it, but only Jesus was perfect, and he died 2,000 years ago.

Sometimes they simply forget to turn the window water pump on. I've asked and they turned it on.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
EPCOTExplorer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 21 days ago; 5:35 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-01-06 09:59, Swanky wrote:
Robert Thornton was having dinner with the family one night and someone mentioned that the speaker near them was busted.

RT: "You think me spending that money will bring one more person in the front door?"

Ever go to Disney and a ride is closed? Shit happens and you deal with it, but only Jesus was perfect, and he died 2,000 years ago.

Sometimes they simply forget to turn the window water pump on. I've asked and they turned it on.

If it meant that the Mai Kai could close for a month, like Disney does with their rides, and open it up fully refreshed, I'd be very happy.

But that'll never happen. Two largely different business models.

And I'll ask about them switching on the water, the next time I'm there.

View Profile of EPCOTExplorer Send a personal message to EPCOTExplorer  Goto the website of EPCOTExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 20 days ago; 12:20 am   Permalink

Quote:
I would love to see Mai Kai running at Disney level quality, but I think that would improve impossible, unless unattainable wealth was suddenly bestowed on the place.

I've had this same dream, EPCOTExplorer, believe me. But then, I've also dreamed about the Polynesian Village offering cocktails on the same level of The Mai-Kai. Both are unlikely, but what we're left with ain't too shabby.

Featuring The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 20 days ago; 06:01 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-01-06 17:35, EPCOTExplorer wrote:
Quote:

On 2015-01-06 09:59, Swanky wrote:

If it meant that the Mai Kai could close for a month, like Disney does with their rides, and open it up fully refreshed, I'd be very happy.

But that'll never happen. Two largely different business models.

And I'll ask about them switching on the water, the next time I'm there.

The Mai-Kai has hardly closed a day in the last 58 years. It is super rare for them to be closed on purpose.

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
EPCOTExplorer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 20 days ago; 08:09 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-01-07 00:20, Hurricane Hayward wrote:
Quote:
I would love to see Mai Kai running at Disney level quality, but I think that would improve impossible, unless unattainable wealth was suddenly bestowed on the place.

I've had this same dream, EPCOTExplorer, believe me. But then, I've also dreamed about the Polynesian Village offering cocktails on the same level of The Mai-Kai. Both are unlikely, but what we're left with ain't too shabby.

Right?! It would be fantastic.

But yes, what we do have is pretty fantastic as well.

Save for the fact that the Polynesian Village just lost its fountains and waterfalls, but I digress....

View Profile of EPCOTExplorer Send a personal message to EPCOTExplorer  Goto the website of EPCOTExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 18 days ago; 9:42 pm   Permalink

The episode of the Cooking Channel's "Offbeat Eats with Jim Stacy" featuring The Mai-Kai will be repeated three times on Sunday, plus one more time later this month ...

January 11, 2015 3:30 AM
January 11, 2015 7:00 AM
January 11, 2015 11:30 PM
January 29, 2015 8:30 AM

http://www.cookingchanneltv.com/shows/offbeat-eats-with-jim-stacy/100/day-at-the-beach.html

Featuring The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 15 days ago; 1:03 pm   Permalink

From Pia Dahlquist, Director of Sales and Marketing:

Heydays Vintage is filming in South Florida and will be filming at the Mai-Kai for an upcoming segment this coming Wednesday!

They want to show their viewers this Tiki/Polynesian Gem and it's role in tiki vintage culture.
Please put on your favorite Aloha shirt or dress and make Mai-Kai your place for Happy Hour Wednesday.

You might even get picked to get interviewed on the show!

Hope to see you Wednesday!

https://www.facebook.com/heydaysTV

googuse

Posted: 9 days ago; 11:27 pm   Permalink

If you grew up in the SF Bay Area in the 80s, you might remember "Buki" as Conrad, the bass player from The John Belushi Memorial Blues Band

Quote:

On 2014-12-29 22:32, Hurricane Hayward wrote:
Aloha Boyz - featuring former Polynesian Islander Revue musicians Ty Olopai (ukulele/vocals), Derek Suzuki (guitar/vocals), and Buki Teheiura Itchener (bass/vocals) - perform during the Customer Celebration Party on Dec. 27 ...

View Profile of googuse Send a personal message to googuse      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation