Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Imperial/US measures
Imperial/US measures
Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-11 01:34 am   Permalink

Sorry to be a numb nuts but can someone explain to me what the following measurements are as per Grog Log;
Quart
Fifth

Thanks

View Profile of Kon-Hemsby Send a personal message to Kon-Hemsby  Email Kon-Hemsby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-11 04:03 am   Permalink

When booze went metric the closest equivalent of the fifth (fifth of a gallon) is .750ml and of the quart (quarter gallon) is 1.0 liter. It took a while to get out of the habit of saying "give me a fifth" and I still refer to the smaller bottles as a pint or half pint.

So...you could substitute as above or if you want to be extremely exact a quart = 946.35ml and a fifth = 757.08ml.

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-11 04:47 am   Permalink

Thanks, I can now mix in the knowledge that I won't be scrimping on the grog.

View Profile of Kon-Hemsby Send a personal message to Kon-Hemsby  Email Kon-Hemsby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-11 10:34 am   Permalink

Funnily enough, I just found out today that a US pint is around 4/5ths of a UK pint.

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-11 10:41 am   Permalink

that decides it! i'm buying all my beer in england from now on

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-11 1:02 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-08-11 10:34, Trader Woody wrote:
I just found out today that a US pint is around 4/5ths of a UK pint.

So that explains why the entire contents of my Guiness cans, brought back from Ireland, don't fit in my American "pint" glasses!

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-12 04:22 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-08-11 13:02, johntiki wrote:

So that explains why the entire contents of my Guiness cans, brought back from Ireland, don't fit in my American "pint" glasses!

JT, do they overflow, or not make it to to the top? Cans of beer over here aren't pint-size, either. A couple of companies like Stella Artois put out limited runs of proper English imperial pint size cans and they look huge compared to their normal cans!

I got this from a group campaining to get rid of metric measurement (which we're not too keen on in the UK):

"Imperial Upsizing

Producers of lager, ale and cider are switching back to pint can sizes. The "full pint value" label allows producers to outmarket those companies offering consumers less generous metric cans.

Pint cans represent "upsizing" on former metric cans of 500ml and 440ml (which represent only 0.88 pints and 0.77 pints, respectively). The use of the pint adds consistency to can sizes and enables consumers to make informed purchases around a fixed and well-understood point of reference. Metric "milli-unit" labels, on the other hand, fail to produce stable can sizes and offer consumers no meaningful information on quantity."

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-12 06:12 am   Permalink

i seem to recall there being a part in orwell's "1984" regarding the unsatisfactory nature of metrically-sized beer as opposed to a pint... i guess mr. orwell knew what he was talking about...

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-12 5:10 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-08-12 04:22, Trader Woody wrote:

JT, do they overflow, or not make it to to the top?

It's odd - sometimes they just fit in the glass and sometimes I actually have enough left to top off the glass after the first sip! It's probably got more to do with my inexperience pouring a proper pint than with the can size!

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation